NY - Amanda Burke, 29, NICU Nurse arrested after Disturbing Video Shows Baby Slammed, Long Island, 2023

rjfjet

Reaction score
I’m not sure exactly what trend this should be in but this here is so upsetting so
warning warning be advised

What in the world?? Why?? SMH.
So very glad it was caught on video. Hoping the nurse will be charged with some type of malfeasance and also lose her license to practice. Glad to see that SVU is looking into this.
Apparently the beautiful little guy is okay and at home.
Damm.

So very glad it was caught on video. Hoping the nurse will be charged with some type of malfeasance and also lose her license to practice. Glad to see that SVU is looking into this.
Damm.
Thank god he was recording it also I think I would have ran in there and did it 2 her so I’m happy he let the law enforcement and whoever else take over

There should have been cameras everywhere in that nursery, & without any 'blank' or hidden corners.
Good thing that father was filming, but you'd think the staff would know they're being recorded ?
Hopefully the rn has been fired and her license revoked !
Thankful the baby is alright.

License revoked -- didn't think about that -- yes, indeed, that should happen.

WTH came over her? Wondering how many times she had done that slam (or worse)...
No cameras -- SMH. Cameras are a must -- they're good witnesses to keep hospital staff as well as parents honest about how they treat those precious and helpless babies.

License revoked! Didn't know -- gr-r-r-reat!
WTH came over her? Wondering how many times she had done that slam (or worse)...
No cameras -- SMH. Cameras are a must -- they're good witnesses to keep hospital staff as well as parents honest about how they treat those precious and helpless babies.
I don't know if her license has been revoked.
:(
This is an occasion where I feel it's appropriate.
That newborn could have suffered neck or spinal injuries.
M00.

@LaborDayRN in your experience are there always cameras in NICU? Thanks for any advice
Oh my! What a horrific story!! Poor sweet baby and family! It INFURIATES me! Thank goodness the parent's saw this! This woman should never be anywhere near patients again!
I have never worked in our NICU, only in L&D. There are no cameras in the L&D rooms for pretty obvious reasons. There are cameras in hallways, waiting room etc. Pretty much anywhere that isn't private.
I've been in our NICU many, many times but honestly never noticed any cameras ( I'm now retired).
All of our NICU rooms are glass in the front so everyone who is in NICU (and it's VERY tightly controlled who can go into NICU) can see in. This would include parents, repiratory thereapists, nurses, doctors, housekeeping and phebotomists etc...
I wish I was more help.

I’m not sure exactly what trend this should be in but this here is so upsetting so
warning warning be advised
Very, wow. Glad the baby is ok. I wonder if the nurse will be charged criminally?

Damm.

You're a lot more generous than I am. This woman belongs in prison, IMO.

Very, wow. Glad the baby is ok. I wonder if the nurse will be charged criminally?

She absolutely should be. Think about it, if it were an adult she did that to, there would be no question. Why do helpless infants have less rights? Nurse belongs in jail and she should never be able to work in medical/healthcare capacity again.

MOO.

Oh my! What a horrific story!! Poor sweet baby and family! It INFURIATES me! Thank goodness the parent's saw this! This woman should never be anywhere near patients again!
I have never worked in our NICU, only in L&D. There are no cameras in the L&D rooms for pretty obvious reasons. There are cameras in hallways, waiting room etc. Pretty much anywhere that isn't private.
I've been in our NICU many, many times but honestly never noticed any cameras ( I'm now retired).
All of our NICU rooms are glass in the front so everyone who is in NICU (and it's VERY tightly controlled who can go into NICU) can see in. This would include parents, repiratory thereapists, nurses, doctors, housekeeping and phebotomists etc...
I wish I was more help.
Thank you for this information. You are always helpful & much appreciated, not just for your nursing experience being a wonderful, compassionate nurse (unlike this lady), but all your thoughtful comments on various threads. I'm sure it varies by state/town/hospital like most industries but I personally would hope all NICU units have cameras since these precious babies are 100% dependant on their caregivers & so completely vulnerable. My heart breaks that anyone could harm a child, much less a defenseless baby in NICU, but it infuriates me that a nurse who chose to work with these precious little babies would harm them.

Thank you for this information. You are always helpful & much appreciated, not just for your nursing experience being a wonderful, compassionate nurse (unlike this lady), but all your thoughtful comments on various threads. I'm sure it varies by state/town/hospital like most industries but I personally would hope all NICU units have cameras since these precious babies are 100% dependant on their caregivers & so completely vulnerable. My heart breaks that anyone could harm a child, much less a defenseless baby in NICU, but it infuriates me that a nurse who chose to work with these precious little babies would harm them.
Thank you for your kind words. It infuriates me as well. NO ONE like this should be in a caregiving profession IMO.

She absolutely should be. Think about it, if it were an adult she did that to, there would be no question. Why do helpless infants have less rights? Nurse belongs in jail and she should never be able to work in medical/healthcare capacity again.

MOO.
Absolutely 100% agree. If a parent of a baby in NICU did this there would be no question about abuse charges & the involvement of CPS.

Thank you for your kind words. It infuriates me as well. NO ONE like this should be in a caregiving profession IMO.
You are very welcome. I'm very thankful that most nurses are like you, very dedicated to your profession, providing patients with the best care possible. My mom was hospitalized 3 times this last year, including ICU for a week, and every single nurse was wonderful to her & our family. I have a soft spot for the nurses, no offense to my mom's doctors who are all wonderful as well, but the nurses make the difference when you're in the hospital.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back