GUILTY NY - Ana Matias, 14, pregnant, murdered, Bronx, 16 Feb 2008

I don't know about the states, but at 12 years of age in my province, a child can "choose to see a parent or not". I know a parent who's daughter did not want to visit the Father, but the court ordered it and if the parent "did not follow" the court order, the mother would be put in jail and held in contempt. But at 12, when the Dad tried to "get" a bit or extra time with the daughter, at a cost to the mother of 25K in legals fees(yet again), the daughter told the judge that she wanted no further contact with her Dad and the court "issued an order" stating that.

But of course the Dad now sends expensive gifts to the daughter.......which does not faze her.

FORMER BRONX BUILDING SUPERINTENDENT CONVICTED OF MURDER IN THE STRANGULATION DEATH OF HIS 14-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER

Friday, October 9, 2009

Bronx District Attorney Robert T. Johnson announced today the murder conviction of a father who strangled his 14-year-old daughter who was pregnant with his unborn fetus.

Miguel Matias, 35, pled guilty to one count of Murder in the 2nd degree in the death of Ana Matias on February 16, 2008.

Matias entered the plea before Acting State Supreme Court Justice Steven Barrett who set sentencing for Wednesday, November 4, 2009 in Part 60. The defendant will be sentenced to a term of 25 years to life imprisonment, the maximum possible sentence for murder in the 2nd degree.

The crime occurred at 1005 Walton Avenue where Matias lived and was also employed as the building’s superintendent. Investigators recovered what remained of the child’s charred body from a furnace where Matias had placed it following the murder. It was discovered that the victim was 12 weeks pregnant and that the defendant, according to DNA testing, was the biological father of the unborn child. Matias and the girl’s mother had lived together in Pennsylvania before their relationship ended and Matias moved to New York. After the separation, Ana Matias and two other siblings would often come to the Bronx on weekends to visit their father.

Matias first admitted to killing his daughter during a telephone call to his uncle and sister when he asked them to come to his Walton Avenue apartment. Matias made a second admission in a later call to a 911 operator.

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant District Attorneys Christiana Stover and Veronica Guariglia of the Gangs /Major Case Bureau.

BBM
http://bronxda.nyc.gov/information/2009/case41.htm

Miguel Matias

Guilty Plea
Sentence Date: 11/04/2009

Offense: 2nd Degree Murder
Sentence: 25 years - Life

1st Parole Hearing: 10/2032
Parole Eligibility Date: 02/11/2033

And what of the rape(s) that occurred??? She was 12 weeks pregnant with her father's baby, for crying out loud!! That should be another life sentence right there. 25 years is nothing for what he's done to her! What an outrage. :furious:

She was pregnant with HIS child?? I say lock him away for life. Not only is murdering her completely horrible..but raping her as well?? :mad:

As usual, all other charges were dropped in the plea deal. They really need to knock off the plea deal stuff and give these people trials so they get the sentences they really deserve.

Thanks B, that's worth saying again!

As usual, all other charges were dropped in the plea deal. They really need to knock off the plea deal stuff and give these people trials so they get the sentences they really deserve.

I know, right? second degree murder, really :/

I also think the fact that it was only the daughter visiting is a clue to the fact that she may have pressed the mother to allow her to see her father. And what was the mother to do? The doctors said he was safe enough to release him into society.

By being at this site, we see and hear a lot more about similar cases and most of us would know not to allow it. But for the majority of people, the doctors thought he was well enough to get out, and doctors are supposed to know. So with the doctor's release and probably both the daughter and the father pushing to allow her visit......

It sounds as though he maybe was released on meds, and there is never any guarantee that the meds will always continue working or that he will actually take the meds when he gets out.

I would like to know if the doctor ok'd the visit or whether he knew about it or not.

I sincerely doubt the daughter was pressing mother to allow her to see the father. Aside from the fact that he got the daughter pregnant, apparently she told her friends she was scared of her father. Some articles I've seen say the guy had partial custody? Did some judge allow this guy visitation rights?

"Bronx teenager Anna Matias lived in fear of her father."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_..._dad_charged_in_her_slay-2.html#ixzz0vTtp0ShZ

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...ls_teen_feared_dad_charged_in_her_slay-2.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiouscanadian
Back