NY NY - Antonella Mattina, 12, Queens, 16 Jul 1984

Anything I can do to give any info. I know originally this was out of the 109.
Do you know who one would contact with information these days? I always like to include a contact number in these threads.

Also, other than the the bearded college student, and the teen with the connected uncle, do you know if any other POI's stood out?

Did the father have enemies? Owe money?

Evidence to indicate the victim was bound? Gagged? (I'm curious to know if she was alive or dead when taken to the dump site.)

Any noteworthy clues found in the evidence (other than trace evidence)? A piece of fabric? Binding material? Soda/beer can?

Seriously, since so little was made public, any and all information you and Hawk can provide would be of interest.

Hawk, you mentioned that you looked at a guy who matched the profile. Do you recall the data points of the profile?

Anthony, you are talking about Antonella. We called you the "Indian", or at least Billy did. If you are the same guy I am thinking of I have to tell you that you were a pleasure to work with. Trouble with the NYPD is some of us remember all the bums we worked with and forget the countless nice guys such as yourself. Nobody, and I mean nobody put in more work on this case than you did. PM me and lets chat. Glad to see you are still alive and well collecting your pension checks.....Pete F.

Hey hawk......I'm not sure if one of my messages posted that I submitted. I am Anthony J Lombardis SON. Just by the way you described that no one put more.work in this case you are DEFINITELY talking about my father. I have the whole case file.
I'm sorry to tell you this hawk, but my father committed suicide may 27th 2010. This particular case haunted my father (not the reason he did what he did) There was a lot of information withheld from the public on this case. Again, haven't spoken to Joe in MANY years. This destroyed Joe's life and crushed their family.
To answer the questions asked.....
Joe Mattina owned and operated a contracting company....mostly painting but overall a general contracting company. He was doing well so the question as to Joe sr. Owing money was never really an issue.
I can look back and see poi were minimal at best.
Evidence was introduced but there had been nothing new after the case went cold. Nowadays there is more technology available but keep in mind no one has opened the case back up.
As far as other contacts for the case.....I can look through what I have (which I shouldn't have in my possession) and see. Thanks for the welcome to the community also. I remember my father wanted to continue to work on this case as it bothered him for years after. I will definitely post up all the information I have. I really don't want to reach out to Joe and open up bad memories for him as the family has been through it for many years.

Hey hawk......I'm not sure if one of my messages posted that I submitted. I am Anthony J Lombardis SON. Just by the way you described that no one put more.work in this case you are DEFINITELY talking about my father. I have the whole case file.
I'm sorry to tell you this hawk, but my father committed suicide may 27th 2010. This particular case haunted my father (not the reason he did what he did) There was a lot of information withheld from the public on this case. Again, haven't spoken to Joe in MANY years. This destroyed Joe's life and crushed their family.
Joe Mattina owned and operated a contracting company....mostly painting but overall a general contracting company. He was doing well so the question as to Joe sr. Owing money was never really an issue.
Evidence was introduced but there had been nothing new after the case went cold. Nowadays there is more technology available but keep in mind no one has opened the case back up.
As far as other contacts for the case.....I can look through what I have (which I shouldn't have in my possession) and see. Thanks for the welcome to the community also. I remember my father wanted to continue to work on this case as it bothered him for years after. I will definitely post up all the information I have. I really don't want to reach out to Joe and open up bad memories for him as the family has been through it for many years.

Wow, you blow me away and make me feel older than I already am. I had this young guy opening up my pool. He had an unusual name. I asked him if his father was a cop. He was. I told the kid I went into the PD with your father and he sat next to me in the police academy. You know what the kid told me? HE SAID THAT WAS HIS GRANDFATHER !

I liked your father. I guess I liked a lot of people I met in the NYPD, but for some reason you always remember the worst of them.

One of the things I have tried to make this Board ( Gilgo ) aware of is how these major investigations are run. How they go sideways once they become a big deal with all the sharks looking for their day in the sun. What was unusual about the case is they allowed your father to hang around for as long as they did.

I ran across two brothers that lived on Parsons in an apartment. I invited them to the precinct for an interview and they never showed up and nobody seemed to care. The case got TOO BIG and the EGOs were even bigger.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your father.

Thank you for your condolences. It's amazing how I stumbled upon this. I am doing my own research on this now and will post up any information I can. He was terribly haunted not only from this case but from Patz also among the 100's of other cases he worked on. I am no detective here but have a decent head on my shoulders to find a couple things out. Who knows...maybe me and hawk can exchange info and find some things out. Hawk if you are out there I pmmed you.

Talk about AMAZING coincidences ! I have been trying to get three innocent men out of prison for the past 20 years. They will NEVER get out of prison if NYS has its way. One of the three gives my name to another prisoner that got 25 to Life and tells the guy to write to me in the hope I might be able to help him. That guy has been in jail for 26 years now and just got turned down for parole. The guy writes me a letter and describes the crime he was convicted for and describes the arrest, etc., I am chilled to the bone after reading only one paragraph: I WAS THE COP THAT FIRST LAID HANDS ON HIM WHEN WE JUMPED OUT OF A VAN TO ARREST THIS GUY.

For whatever reason I never thought the guy did the crime, and we didn't have nearly enough information to convince me he did it. This was when I was with the NYPD, or a time I was your typical cop fighting for Truth, Justice, and The American Way. I just never thought he did it. The thing that made it not hard to accept is the guy was not a very nice person that was a drug dealer.

Can someone post any visual aids? Photos/video from the time of the crime.

Wow! There has been alot of activity on this post since I last checked in. Im so happy there are people out there still trying to find the truth about what happened to Antonella. Like I said, I did not know her, but this case just always stuck in my head. Someone I know posted this link on facebook today. I remember this guy because he killed a Police officer and abducted a woman near where I grew up in Dobbs Ferry. I was shocked when I continued to read and saw he is a suspect in Antonella's abduction!
http://pix11.com/2015/02/16/murder-...ears-ago-may-have-been-work-of-serial-killer/
This is already dead thankfully.

Wow is right! I should probably start a thread for this guy in the SK forum.

[...]

Now, 30 years later, the two writers—McMurray and Paul–have dug up information indicating Alex Mengel was likely connected to the abduction and murder of a 12-year-old Queens girl in July 1984. They are also intrigued by the photos of five teenage schoolgirls found in Mengel’s car when it was discovered in the Bronx. The pictures were inside his wallet.

“They found some photographs of young women and also a map,” writer Kevin F. McMurray told PIX11 News. “And nobody seems to know them. We know there’s at least six women that have never been accounted for.”

[...]

McMurray and Paul have done extensive research for the book. They gained access to Westchester police documents in the Stymiloski case and learned of a possible Mengel connection to the kidnapping of 12-year-old Antonella Mattina on July 16, 1984, near a Citibank in Flushing, Queens.

[...]
After Mengel’s arrest was splashed across newspaper headlines in early March 1985, a witness contacted the 109 Precinct in Flushing and told investigators he had seen Mengel with Antonella Mattina on the day she vanished, the summer before.

http://pix11.com/2015/02/16/murder-...ears-ago-may-have-been-work-of-serial-killer/

I never heard that name as I was long gone from the investigation when that information came in. I can't account for what the 109 did when they received that information. I would expect that any detective that was around at that time would/should have jumped all over it.

The closest I can come to it is I met up with two brothers that lived on Parsons Blvd, or where Antonella had to walk past by to and from her home. They were both nasty SOBS that never came into the precinct to give a statement. I just brought the 109 the information and whether or not they followed up on why these guys didn't come in should have been an item of interest for them.

The one thing I do remember is one of them was in the military at one point in time. If the guys that wrote the story can confirm either one of the Mengel brothers was in the military it should would pique my interest.

Bessie, that is good to hear one of them wasn't in the military. But all I do recall is one of them may have said they were. I would hate to think I let them off the hook by not insisting it was followed up on.

I have been trying to tell our fellow members that in such cases there are many, many, persons that qualify as legitimate suspects that had nothing to do with the crime.

In the Son of Sam case there was a fellow that went out of his way to look like a suspect. He was under surveillance and did everything to make it appear as though he was dodging the surveillance. When Stacey Moskowitz was killed a detective I know went right this 'very good' suspect and knocked on the door to see if he was in. They guy opens the door and the detective punches the guy in the mouth and leaves.

Who knows if n.this will pan out. But it sure looks as good as anything I know of in this case.

I just hope it is ONE DOWN and ONE to Go in two cases that have stayed with me for more than 30 years. There have been a few more, but two cases were always in a class of their own.

I hope you can clear this one off the slate, too, Hawk, as well as Antonella's father, brother and other surviving family members. Maybe a few other cold cases can be solved if those photos are released.

YlpABzR.jpg

Antonella Mattina

http://on.aol.com/video/was-the-mur...rs-ago-the-work-of-a-serial-killer--518656302

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6
Back