NY - aunt who sued 8yr old nephew over hug loses lawsuit

Almost all the comments here have been my opinion on facebook about this woman today.

All day I hoped the only thing that this boy was forced to learn today was that sometimes in life we have people in our lives that we love but its better to burn that bridge.

Well, from all accounts he seemed confused at the hearing so it's hard to tell what he might have absorbed. I'm just going to say this - it may be that he has cognitive difficulties and that's why he was confused at the hearing today, and why he didn't know he couldn't jump on his middle-aged aunt. I have children, and also lots of nieces and nephews, and they don't jump in the air on their aunts. I think it's possible he may have some delays.

Well, from all accounts he seemed confused at the hearing so it's hard to tell what he might have absorbed. I'm just going to say this - it may be that he has cognitive difficulties and that's why he was confused at the hearing today, and why he didn't know he couldn't jump on his middle-aged aunt. I have children, and also lots of nieces and nephews, and they don't jump in the air on their aunts. I think it's possible he may have some delays.

I do not think its odd that an 8 yr old would jump on an aunt he loved. My son is 8 he is only a few inches shorter then me. I have to remind him of his size often or he would jump on me. He has no delays. He is just a normal child. I've seen kids of all ages running out the school at a family member they were excited to see many times.

Not sure I know a 12 yr old who would not be confused in the courtroom while being sued. Lawsuits on kids are not that common and the accident happened 4 years ago. I'm even confuse at some of the comments she is quoted saying like “I live in Manhattan in a third-floor walk-up so it has been very difficult,” she said. “And we all know how crowded it is in Manhattan.” If that is quoted right then I would be scratching my head wondering why does it hurt her hands to walk up steps. (Note: I have not seen any videos showing the boy and how he was acting in the courtroom only heard reporters saying he looked confused)

I am a bit confused as to why she would be suing a little boy, who would obviously have no assets. Was she really suing HIM or the father? The reason I ask is that if you were at someone's home and injured yourself due to something that was their fault, i.e. their stairs collapsed and you fell, or you slipped on ice in their driveway, or perhaps their dog knocked them down and caused a similar injury. Not comparing the little boy to a dog, but the boy is under the care of the parents, who would be ultimately responsible for his actions. So if she sustained an injury at their home, by something that was in their control, why wouldn't the parents be responsible?

That said, her complaining about not being able to hold an hors d'oeuvre plate has to be one of the funniest things I have ever heard. The poor dear! LOL!

P.S. I'd also like to hear why she was suing for so much money? Pain and suffering? If I were her, I may have gone after the parents to pay the medical bills, but nothing else.

Homeowners insurance usually covers accidents and medical insurance will seek HOI for reimbursement if applicable. That said, there are no words I can use for this woman without being banned. I hope she never ever has a child of her own. Sadly, family isn't always best and in this boys case in the long run to have a (words I can't use here) woman like this out of his life is a blessing in disguise. A tough lesson to learn, but hopefully he has all the love and support he needs from other family members.

Homeowners insurance usually covers accidents and medical insurance will seek HOI for reimbursement if applicable. That said, there are no words I can use for this woman without being banned. I hope she never ever has a child of her own. Sadly, family isn't always best and in this boys case in the long run to have a (words I can't use here) woman like this out of his life is a blessing in disguise. A tough lesson to learn, but hopefully he has all the love and support he needs from other family members.

I agree, Cubby. And I have the same hopes for the boy. His mother died, and it makes sense he would run to his Auntie, imo. Aunts are the closest things to mothers, imo. And it was his birthday so he was sugared up and excited. Poor baby. I really hope he has some love and support and that his Aunt is not typical of his remaining family.

I've seen quite a few adults in courtrooms who looked confused.

And IF...IF the child has "delays", that's all the more reason why this action is shameful. The kid did not strike out at her in anger to do harm. He welcomed her! Exclaimed that he loved her! WTH is wrong with people. And just what lesson did the poor child learn from this travesty?

Oh yeah, if y'all find a prudent 8-year-old, please let me know.

Bessie. Agreed.

Thanksgiving dinner will be an odd one for them this year. I'm sure auntie will not have a leftovers to go plate either. Lol

Bessie. Agreed.

Thanksgiving dinner will be an odd one for them this year. I'm sure auntie will not have a leftovers to go plate either. Lol
Good. She wouldn't be able to carry it, anyway.

'Aunt' says lawsuit against 8-year-old was insurance case

"This was meant to be a simple homeowners insurance case," she said. "Connecticut law is such that I was advised by counsel that this is the way a suit is meant to be worded."

Connell said that an individual, not an insurance company, had to be named as a defendant.

"I adore this child. I would never want to hurt him. He would never want to hurt me," she told CNN.

The boy refers to Connell as his aunt, although she said he is the son of her cousin. The family remains close. Just a few weeks ago, Connell said, she took the boy out shopping for his Halloween costume.

ETA

http://wbt.com/woman-loses-suit-against-12-year-old-relative-who-broke-her-wrist-during-forceful-greeting/

Connell is Sean's father's cousin, and Sean's step-grandmother told ABC News that Connell and the boy are very close.

"The suit is not personal. This is a flukie accident that happened and nobody's mad at anybody," Kristin Butler, told ABC News.

"These are very loving people who just adore each other," Butler said.

http://lmgcorporate.com/wfsb/news/complaint.pdf

Not surprised to read today that the story appears to have been hopelessly skewed and sensationalized. Glad to hear that child isn't being tormented by his aunt. The loss of his mother at such a young age is tragic enough.

Per plaintiff's petition, 2 surgeries* & other med treatment & expenses, plus lost earnings, time off work.

Anyone think -
- she fibbed about Sean causing her fall to ground?.................................................................... IDTS.
- she faked injuries, really did not have broken wrist or arm? ...................................................... IDTS.
- she fabricated surgeries, really did not have operations or any medical treatment? ...................... IDTS.
- she wanted an exorbitant amount of money for reduced enjoyment of life and pain & suffering? .... IDK.

Seems imo her claim for damages was for virtually only her med treatments, maybe $ for lost earnings.
Do some posters here criticize her for bringing action against person causing injuries, because:
- person causing injury was 8 y/o, not responsible for any injury or consequence, period.
- 8 y/o could not reasonably foresee his actions would cause any injury.
- 8 y/o's mother died a year or two after the fall.
- person causing injury was related to her (nephew, son of cousin, what-ev?)
- parents would have been approp. defendants.
- parents' homeowner's insurance company would pay for her for injuries.

Exactly which factor led to comments or criticism re plaintiff?
If an unknown-to-her adult had acted same, caused same injuries, would ^ posters criticize her for suing?

Trying to see from point of view of all involved, but jury rendered verdict, so a futile exercise for this case.
(I think some personal injury lawsuits are baloney, don't know what to think about this one)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* from Plaintiff's ct-filed doc, http://lmgcorporate.com/wfsb/news/complaint.pdf:
"3. ...caused the plaintiff to fall by knocking her to the ground, resulting in the severe personal injuries, damages, and losses..."
"5. ...suffered injury to her left arm, including a fracture, requiring surgery w internal fixation and then a subsequent surgery to remove the hardware.
"

http://nypost.com/2015/10/14/aunt-w...r-127000-wasnt-looking-for-money-lawyer-says/ Oct 14
"Connell, 54, filed a lawsuit against then-10-year-old Sean Tarala in 2013 for $127,000, because her insurance company was only willing to fork over $1 ** to help pay for the treatment of her broken wrist, according to her law firm, Jainchill & Beckert."
"Connecticut law states that people who file injury claims on their insurance must take the responsible party to court."
"Because of this, Connell was obligated to sue the youngster, her lawyers said. “From the start, this was a case was about one thing: getting medical bills paid by homeowner’s insurance,” the law firm said in a statement."

** Puzzled about atty's stmt - her ins co was only willing to fork over $1 to help pay for treatment. What?
If referring to her health ins, of course, co is not responsible for lost wages, reduced enjoyment of life activities, etc.
If ref'ing to Seans' parents' ins co, the why say her ins co? Why only $1? Wish we had more info.

Did Ms Connell get bad legal advice or what? Why sue the child? Why not the homeowner? Did homeowners insurance refuse to pay medical bills? Or did they pay medical bills and it didn't cover "pain and suffering"?

I can't understand why the child was sued.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/re...eluctant-sue-young-nephew-breaking-wrist.html

The child was sued because the child caused the injury. And the Aunt was looking for the homeowner's insurance to pay.

We've just been through this. My minor son was in a car wreck and he was sued by the injured party, to gain access to our car insurance. That's how it works. You sue the person who injured you, not the holder of the insurance party.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/nati...Birthday-Party-Hug-Connecticut-333025901.html

I knew from the get go there was more to this. Poor woman and the little boy is adorable and obviously loves his aunt and she loves him. Now she is out the money that the homeowners insurance should have paid for and they are off the hook. Way to make the citizens look awful and the insurance company to skate away.

Something's very wrong with an insurance system that would lead to this, and with social media which instantly accused the aunt of being a horrible person without knowing any of the facts of the case.

Not surprised to read today that the story appears to have been hopelessly skewed and sensationalized. Glad to hear that child isn't being tormented by his aunt. The loss of his mother at such a young age is tragic enough.

This happens all the time. The media will write a story that is sensationalized and skewed to make someone look "evil" and people will react to it, with foam coming out of their mouths, and with more emotion than they do than hearing about people being murdered. Then it comes out that it's either a hoax or the story is not what was presented. It's the clickbait world and outrage culture we currently live in. People want to live in a world where something like this represents the absolute worst of humanity, and that's why they react to these types of stories with the amount of fervor they do.

Something's very wrong with an insurance system that would lead to this, and with social media which instantly accused the aunt of being a horrible person without knowing any of the facts of the case.

She breaks her wrist messing around with a relative and she sues for 127K???

IMO that sounds absolutely crazy! If everyone tried to get a windfall like that at the first opportunity then no one would be able to afford homeowners insurance.

As others have said, I wouldn't want that woman anywhere near my home or in my car or anywhere nearby.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back