Found Deceased NY - Avonte Oquendo, 14, Long Island City, 4 Oct 2013

Thank you for sharing it. I don't have time to read it all; but what I did read; he writes beautifully. I'm surprised too because of how young he is; not only that; I've worked with families of missing & found deceased; a lot are not able to verbalize what they're feeling

http://http://www.nycsci.org/reports/03-14%20Oquendo,%20Avonte-P277%20Rpt.pdf[/URL]

Thank you Steleheart! My attempt to fix the OP failed :facepalm:

I'll edit it now that I've seen your post

:tyou:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I read that report and I have no idea what to think or who may be at fault. It seems to be a terrible accident. It appears that many people were involved and proper precautions were in place. I worked as a teacher with Autism students and special needs (emotionally and cognitively impaired) for many years, and I know that it's a risky thing. Due to fire codes, no doors could be locked. I had a 7 year old run from me and out the door. He ran and stood on the back bumper of a bus with many staff members looking for him. Horrifying! I guess others may see it in a different way, and I'll be interested in the conclusion. So sad for Avonte's family.

Avonte Oquendo remembered as smiling, courageous boy at funeral

Avonte-Funeral.jpg

http://queenscourier.com/2014/avonte-oquendo-remembered-as-smiling-courageous-boy-at-funeral/

Well I read that report and I have no idea what to think or who may be at fault. It seems to be a terrible accident. It appears that many people were involved and proper precautions were in place. I worked as a teacher with Autism students and special needs (emotionally and cognitively impaired) for many years, and I know that it's a risky thing. Due to fire codes, no doors could be locked. I had a 7 year old run from me and out the door. He ran and stood on the back bumper of a bus with many staff members looking for him. Horrifying! I guess others may see it in a different way, and I'll be interested in the conclusion. So sad for Avonte's family.

Finally had time to read The Boy Who Ran: The Life and Death of Avonte Oquendo. Surprising that now we read no one realized he was special needs & that his teachers may not have even read his IEP!

The article answers a lot of questions. Also the brother that wrote for Austism speaks; apparently didn't even know Avonte

Two weeks ago, Daniel Jr., wrote an open letter on an autism advocacy website calling the outpouring of support “one of the most inspiring events to ever occur in my lifetime,” and stating his hope that what happened to Avonte would “be the surge that builds up enough momentum to provide a real solution to the problematic issues that this hardship has brought to our attention.” Avonte’s mother, meanwhile, doesn’t want Avonte to be a poster child for anything. “Avonte wouldn’t even know [Daniel Jr.] if you stood him next to him,” she says bitterly. “He doesn’t know what he likes, he had no connection with him.”

She was a teenager when she met Daniel Oquendo and just 19 when their first son, Jason, was born. Next came Anthony, Andrew, and Jovan and finally Avonte, the baby, in 1999, when she was 34.

UPDATE: I just spoke with David Perecman, the attorney who represents Avonte and his family and a settlement has been reached with the city. From what I understand, there are several who still think the laws regarding wandering kids who have autism aren't adequate. At least it's some measure of justice, anyway...

Article link: http://nypost.com/2016/07/28/city-settles-with-avonte-oquendos-family-for-2-7m/

He's been gone far too long. This is so strange. As a result, I'm going to execute some tactics to further the search efforts via the Internet. These techniques are entirely unconventional, but extremely effective. As far as policy goes, I won't disclose the nature of these methods. Let's see what we can do! Wish me luck on this!

I remember posting this... I remember feeling so mad that there had been a string of missing autistic kids who had drowned just previous to Avonte's disappearance. It's like everyone had dropped the ball and only Avonte's family was struggling to get the word out to find him. Well, only about a half dozen people know, but those techniques I used? Well, that's what caused there to be such a sudden and massive response by the people of NYC. If you find it odd that Avonte's case wasn't well-known outside of New York is because I targeted only those people who reside within a 100 mile radius of NYC. The search effort and outpouring of support was amazing. In spite of such a tragedy, it's reassuring to see SO many people drop what they're doing and involve themselves in the volunteer efforts to find Avonte, and to support his loved ones. Rest in peace little buddy. I wish there had been a better outcome. We did our best and gave it all we had.

I'm in Cali and I'll never forget Avonte!
:rose:

I'm in Cali and I'll never forget Avonte!
:rose:

I'm here in AZ, and I share the same feeling. We spread that case virally, all over the world, but the magnitude of attention this case got in NYC compared with anywhere else was astounding. I've read a few articles by the mainstream media that speculate on what led to the sudden and intense local response of New Yorkers, but as I had mentioned before only a handful of people know the details.All they could do was guess.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back