Match! NY - Caledonia, WhtFem 1UFNY, 13-19, Turquoise Necklace, Nov'79 *Tammy Alexander*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be, but you also have the Oxygen Isotope analysis indicating that she had grown up drinking water originating from the Southwestern U.S.

Hm, I missed that about the water. I wonder if the tests are worldwide or if they are only looking to see where in the US she may have lived. I wonder if she could be from Mexico or Brazil or Columbia, etc.

Although, just like so many cases, she is probably a girl from California or Texas or somewhere who was either never reported missing (a runaway?) or who was reported missing but the case file was lost along the way or never entered into the system (small town?) or pursued. I wish we could get people into every police department and get all of these older missing persons and unidentified victims cases entered - I think we'd have a better chance of making connections. :(

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/z/zendrosky_karen.html

I came across this girl and thought she had a similar look to Cali. She went missing from New Jersey though. Height, weight and age are all spot on though. What do you all think.

OMG, wow, just wow. I seriously think you need to contact authorities. It looks like the same girl.

The first picture is from the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children website and the one on the right is what you posted.

Wow, just wow. Something really wierd too...My first and middle name is the same as hers, Karen Lynn.

ETA: I am so convinced this is the same girl that I called the authorities. I just hung up. Thanks for posting this. Maybe we can help get a family some closure.

Attachments

• NCMU1102079c1.jpg
    NCMU1102079c1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 48
  • zendrosky_karen.jpg
    zendrosky_karen.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 54
Keep us updated on this! they are very similar!

OMG, wow, just wow. I seriously think you need to contact authorities. It looks like the same girl.

The first picture is from the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children website and the one on the right is what you posted.

Wow, just wow. Something really wierd too...My first and middle name is the same as hers, Karen Lynn.

ETA: I am so convinced this is the same girl that I called the authorities. I just hung up. Thanks for posting this. Maybe we can help get a family some closure.

I have added another picture which looks like the morgue picture. I will keep you all updated if I hear back anything. I noticed the eye color is different in the desciptions: Jane Doe - brown and Karen Zedonsky - green, but IMO they look like a hazel (greenish brown color), so it could be the same girl.

Attachments

• zendrosky_karen.jpg
    zendrosky_karen.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 39
  • NCMU1102079c1.jpg
    NCMU1102079c1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 30

Hi,

Thanks for that. I thought they looked very alike too. I am in Ireland so difficult for me to coordinate phone calls so feel free to act on it if you feel you can. Let me know. I can e-mail no problems if anyone has an e-mail address.

Karen Lynn has her own thread in Websleuths "Missing in the 1970's" topic. I am posting the Doenet case file below for comparison purposes.

----------------------------------------

Karen Lynn Zendrosky, 16, Missing 23 Oct 1979 from Bordentown Township, NJ

Karen Lynn Zendrosky
Missing since October 23, 1979 from Bordentown Township, Mercer County, New Jersey
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: September 2, 1963
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2"; 90 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; green eyes.
Marks, Scars: Scar on her right ear.
Clothing: Overalls and a brown and yellow zip-up sweatshirt.
Dentals: Available
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Zendrosky was last seen at a bowling alley which has since closed, in Bordentown Township, Mercer County, New Jersey on October 23, 1979.

Police have long suspected Zendrosky’s remains are buried deep in the old sludge pit, once used as part of the township’s wastewater treatment plant which is just a half mile from the former bowling alley. It was known to be a party area, and it has been rumored that Zendrosky ended up there against her will or of her own volition and never left.
Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

New Jersey State Police
Missing Persons Unit
609-882-2000, extension 2894

NCMEC Number: NCMC968779

Agency Case Number:C02085393

NCIC Number: M-847788950

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
KWY CBS 3 3/30/05
Team Amber Alert
New Jersey State Police
NamUs
The Doe Network: Case File 1667DFNJ

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1667dfnj.html

For comparison purposes, here is a re-posting of the Doenetwork case file on "Cali" Doe:

-------------------------------------

Unidentified White Female, 13-19, Located on November 9, 1979 in Caledonia, NY

Unidentified White Female
Located on November 9, 1979 in Caledonia, Livingston County, New York.
Estimated Date of Death is November 8, 1979
Died as a result of severe brain hemorrhage caused by a gunshot wound to the head.

Note: Link below has a number of artist likenesses of Cali.

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 13 - 19 years old. Her estimated date of birth is 1958-1967.
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3; 120 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: She had curly brown, shoulder length hair which had been frosted about four months before her death. The frosted hair was in the process of growing out. She had brown eyes. She was tanned and had visible bikini lines. She had no distinguishing marks. The victim had had no broken bones that would have been in a hospital's records. It didn't look as though she had received much medical attention of any kind.
Clothing: She was wearing a a boy's multi-plaid, button-down shirt, tan corduroy pants, blue knee socks, light blue panties; white exquisite bra; brown lace up, ripple-sole shoes and a red nylon-lined man's windbreaker with black stripes down the arms, marked with the inside label Auto Sports Products, Inc..
Dentals: Available. She has some serious decay and tooth #14 was decayed to the extent that only three roots of the tooth were left. She had not had any dental care.
Fingerprints: Available. Her fingerprints were sent to FBI headquarters, but her prints weren't on file.
DNA: Available in CODIS

Case History

The victim was discovered by a passing motorist at 10.00 in a Caledonia, NY cornfield on November 9, 1979. She was found about 20 feet from the south side of Route 20, about one half mile from the intersection of Route 5.She was fully clothed and there was no evidence that she had been sexually molested. Her pockets had been turned inside out, possibly to remove any identification.

An examination of the girl's stomach contents turned up pieces of meat, corn and potatoes. A waitress from a small dinner in Lima, New York, remembered seeing the girl the night before the murder, but she couldn't remember anything more.She died of two gunshot wounds; one to the back and one to the front of her head. The coroner estimated that she was killed the previous night, (November 8), the gunshot wound to her head was inflicted prior to the back wound. The victim was apparently shot by the road where a blood spot marked the earth. Then she was dragged into the cornfield and shot again.Police speculated that the murder weapon used was a .38-caliber handgun. Ballistics experts dug up a slug buried in the dirt underneath the victim. The slug was tested against literally hundreds of other bullets fired from guns seized by police. Over the years, the Livingston County probes traced weapons to as far away as Canada, Europe, and Mexico, but they were never able to match the slug to a murder weapon.Several truckers called in with information about a young girl who was traveling and catching rides where she could. One trucker swore he saw the girl the night before she was murdered trying to hitch a ride to Boston from a nearby truck stop.

Police have followed up over 10,000 leads, all to no avail.

Jane Doe rests in Dansville, New York. The inscription says, "Lest we forget an unidentified girl. November 9. 1979. And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

Pollen samples taken from the victim's clothing were determined to have come from only four places: Arizona, California, South Florida, or Mexico.Jewelry
The victim was wearing the following necklace, made with silver beads and three small turquoise stones, one resembling a bird. The necklace was probably homemade, possibly native American, but the best detectives could figure was that it was made somewhere in the Southwest.
The victim was also wearing two key chains that were attached to the front belt loops of her jeans. One key chain, in the shape of a heart, was inscribed, "He who holds the Key can open my heart." The other key chain held the key that fit the small silver heart. The key chains could have been bought in almost any roadside gift shop.

Photos of Jewlry, Clothing and Shoes can be seen in the link below.

Additional Case Information

Locale of Region
Caledonia, NY is located in the Finger Lakes region of the state and is close in proximity to the Canadian border. Some theories about the victim's identity include the possibility that she was not American, but Canadian. Searches of the Canadian missing persons' databases have not provided any information on a possible ID match for this victim. Route 20 runs parallel to Interstate 90. The crime scene was just past the bifurcation of Routes 5 and 20 on the south side of the road. On the north side, a small pull-off for truckers and motorists offered a rest area for travelers.

Tanned Complexion of the Victim
She had tan lines, suggesting that she had recently lain in the sun in a halter top. Tanning salons were not common in 1979, it is believed that she had recently vacationed somewhere tropical or was from a region more conducive to tanning in November. Furthermore, the victim's hair was lightly frosted in the front, a hairstyle popular on the beach.

Clothing Manufacturer

Auto Sports Products. The jackets were a one-shot promotional gimmick. There was no way to track where they had gone after they were distributed.

One caller told investigators that she thought the victim's shoes were popular in the Venjiont area during the late 1970s.

Investigators
If you have any information on this case, please contact:

Livingston County Sheriff's Office
585-243-7120
or
Email: crimetip@troopers.state.ny.us

All information can be given on an anonymous basis.

Agency Case Number: 138159

NCMEC #: NCMU400008

NCIC Number: U-157617149

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

New York State Police
The E-clipse Network
Batavia Daily News
Master Detective
R News
NCMEC
Florida Missing Children Information Clearinghouse
Livingston County Sheriff
The Doe Network: Case File 1UFNY

LINK:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/1ufny.html

Hi,

Thanks for that. I thought they looked very alike too. I am in Ireland so difficult for me to coordinate phone calls so feel free to act on it if you feel you can. Let me know. I can e-mail no problems if anyone has an e-mail address.

No problem at all. At first I was just going to say call it in and then I saw you were in Ireland and thought it may be too difficult for you and figured by the time it took to email you, I could just pick up the phone.

It may be a long shot and may not even be a match, but hey, I would rather that be the case than to take any chances.

It i something about the eyes....kind of wideset. Also the nose, lips, teeth.

We shall wait and see. I will let you know if I hear anything.

And let me just say, it is just so cool to communticate with someone in Ireland.

No problem at all. At first I was just going to say call it in and then I saw you were in Ireland and thought it may be too difficult for you and figured by the time it took to email you, I could just pick up the phone.

It may be a long shot and may not even be a match, but hey, I would rather that be the case than to take any chances.

It i something about the eyes....kind of wideset. Also the nose, lips, teeth.

We shall wait and see. I will let you know if I hear anything.

And let me just say, it is just so cool to communticate with someone in Ireland.

Hey, no toes stepped on! I appreciate you calling it in. Do let me know if you hear any news.

I'm in Belfast, Northern Ireland and I do feel a bit out of the loop sometimes on this site, lol!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...lled-in-1979/2012/04/30/gIQAA4YSsT_story.html

By Associated Press, Updated: Monday, April 30, 1:49 PM

‘Southwest pollen’ linked to NY cold case of unknown female killed in 1979

Police are hoping that traces of pollen found only in the Southwest will finally help them identify a woman whose body was found in 1979 on an upstate New York farm.

After the pollen was found on the victim’s pants using new technology, the Livingston County Sheriff’s Office in Geneseo, N.Y., enlisted Albuquerque police in trying to identify the woman who also wore replica American Indian jewelry typically sold in New Mexico, Utah, Colorado and Arizona.

More at link.

Is it possible that her face is so swollen that she is not being recognized?" I ask because it appears to me that her eyelids are extremely swollen. If she is really swollen to a great degree would it be possible to remove some of the swelling in "Paint" or something?

dsntslp,

her eyelids do appear very swollen

also, do you recall a name, or any additional information about her?

Awesome. The AP article is making the rounds. Just saw it in our little newspaper (west coast town of 50,000). I'm so excited about many more people seeing "Cali!"

dsntslp,

her eyelids do appear very swollen

also, do you recall a name, or any additional information about her?
I deleted my post about a hitch hiker I once knew because it was off topic. Sorry.

This has probably already been talked about (I have not read this whole thread - it is really long,) but with the information that the pollen was from an Australian Pine tree, do you think there is any chance she is actually FROM Australia?

Hmmmm. I'm Australian, born 1970, and I grew up with a sister born 1962. When my sister was around 13 to 16 ish she owned a shirt virtually identical to that one, except the plaid was a little more to the teal/yellows side than the pastel blue side. Same cut, same details, including the narrowish arms and the plaid being on the diagonal on the pockets and placket. Somewhere my mother has a family photo that includes her in it, so my memory of it is better than of most of her garments. But it could just be the general style of the era.

I would suggest calling about Karen Zedonsky because sometimes [IMO] LE makes mistakes about pollen evidence and things of that nature; for example, Melonie Biddersingh LE said that she was probably from North East Africa (including reportedly, “In her stomach, pathologists found grains that originated in the Nile basin, possibly Ethiopia, Somalia or Sudan.”) and it turned out that she was from Jamaica.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41284

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members