NY - Catherine Woods, 21, stabbed to death in her NYC apartment, 27 Nov 2005

CP - your post seems so removed from the reality of this family's pain.

This is an age-old dream, to "make it on Broadway". That was this girl's dream. Greta had some statement about a million girls with dreams of making it big, waiting tables, going to auditions . .. that was this girl's dream too. She ended up in a strip club to support her while she hoped to make it big in the legitimate theater . .. and now, she's brutally murdered.

It seems cruel to call her family clueless. Unaware, maybe.

KatherineQ said:
CP - your post seems so removed from the reality of this family's pain.

This is an age-old dream, to "make it on Broadway". That was this girl's dream. Greta had some statement about a million girls with dreams of making it big, waiting tables, going to auditions . .. that was this girl's dream too. She ended up in a strip club to support her while she hoped to make it big in the legitimate theater . .. and now, she's brutally murdered.

It seems cruel to call her family clueless. Unaware, maybe.

If I was unaware or seemed clueless. it was unaware or I was not fully apprised. I am always about the family's pain. Always.You can never say that I don't see the pain. Nor can you say that I don't identify. I think I said there is more to this than is being reported.

I just learned on Rita that she had a new boyfriend. Anyone catch that.

I was sitting here watching Rita and got upset and then more upset as she kept tring to focus on the fact this girl was working in the strip biz. When the dancing teacher spoke who had trained her from age 3 thru 18, she told how this girl was a very especially gifted dancer from the myriads of girls she has trained over the years, and how she had learned classical presentation, etc. So the girl had a serious and classical dancing background, and then here comes Rita again with - Well what do you think about the fact she was dancing in a strip club . . .

I'm probably too critical here, but having taken piano lessons for 13 years, being an artist and having a brother who is a full fledged opera singer as examples, I thought the teacher gave a wonderful true scenario of this girl as an artistic spirrit of dance that would be one of those who would really make it! Why try to degrade her life because she had to pay the bills, and like many aspiring actresses, singers and dancers, took what she had to to survive. YaYa

Scandi

I didn't see Rita. So it's a new boyfriend after David Vaughn?

I'm not sure it's a bad thing to focus on the strip business. If the new boyfriend came along with the strip club business, or as a result of stripping . . .

It's an awful, awful business. So many strippers and prostitutes go missing and murdered each year, and their deaths go unsolved. Prayers this one girl who was new to the strip business will have her murder avenged.

Sorry to post twice in a row, but Katherine, I must say I have known Concerned for a long time here and would say she is heart and soal for both the victim and their family. She must have said something to you that she didn't express clearly enough.

In fact I've been racking my brain. I think it was about 2 weeks ago she said she felt so bad about - I think the way Pamela Vitale was killed but it could hae been someone else - well, she was physically upset from it and having a hard time getting sleep.

The reason I said I think it was a misunderstood post, is that I also hold you in great esteem for you insightful and interesting posts.

Scandi

Zman said:
If married men did not go to strip clubs there would be no strip clubs.
Maybe its the wives who nag them that should be frowned upon.

Maybe the bf couldn't handle watching his gf strip. Especially if she seems to enjoy it.
It takes a really confident guy to date a stripper. But if she had quit the club in July? Maybe she needed money and was going back to strip at the club and he didn't like it.

It takes a really confident man, like say a pimp, to date a stripper. A man who has a gf or wife that sells her body is a pimp.

Hi Katherine,

If emphasis on the strip biz was given because it might have a tie to her murder or murderer, then yes, I could understand and support that. But with Rita I felt it was the sensational part of the story that would grab watchers and keep them spellbound and coming back for more next week.

She does have the art of being an expert MC of a show though. At one point she had a spirited conversation going on with an Aruban police official - I think she said the Chief, on the phone, Steve on another TV screen and the governer of Alabama on another screen, back and forth and back and forth, and her voice got a bit higher pitched with excitement as she told the governor to hold for a min as she wanted to see what the police chif thought about this. Well at one point there were so many voices going on at one time, I could understand nothing! LOL I think she did a fine job at keeping the conversation going, interesting and so very alive you had to move your head a bit closer to the TV to catch it all. :D

Scandi

I have a big problem with strip clubs especially when we read about how women who are sexually molested as children often grow up into these dancers and when we read about Sharon Marshall who was molested her whole life by a pedophile and then later pimped by him. Men who think women should be bought and sold go to strip clubs. But they do get to hang with many sex offenders and molestation victims. So I guess that is where they find their fun. I can't see how anyone who reads a forum like this and knows how many young women and boys are nabbed just to be sexually exploited and thrown away can be in favor of any type of behavior that promotes that kind of attitude.

KatherineQ said:
I didn't see Rita. So it's a new boyfriend after David Vaughn?

I'm not sure it's a bad thing to focus on the strip business. If the new boyfriend came along with the strip club business, or as a result of stripping . . .

It's an awful, awful business. So many strippers and prostitutes go missing and murdered each year, and their deaths go unsolved. Prayers this one girl who was new to the strip business will have her murder avenged.
I didn't see it either. I am not about having a prostitute's murder go unavenged.I am all about the victim's even prostitutes. In fact, I would be more proactive towards this because someone has to care. There is a reason that a woman chooses this line of work.Mainly because there are no options. I won't be the first to cast a stone at this.I want to know what everyone else did.I have seen too many deaths and too many lives lost at the behest of a sociopath. Occupation is just a sideline as well as short skirts...I never condemned anyone for wearing them. I also don't think murder and rape is in order for wearing them.

concernedperson said:
It is either the boyfriend or Braunstein. Although I think that Braunstein has other plans.

Braunstein is a possibility if the boyfriend is innocent. I'm afraid of what Braunstein might do now.

I really believe it is the BF.
But at the same time, I wonder if LE has investigated the possibility of any link to Braustein? Did he frequent the strip club, did she ever work as a model and thus come into contact with him in his job as a fashion writer?
Brausteirn is pretty sick. There are signs he stalked women before. Could she have been someone he was stalking and he saw that the BF left the apt, thus giving him the opportunity? LE and the Media have been speculating that Braunstein may have left the area. If he wanted to send a message that he was still in the area, this is the way I would expect him to do it.
One of the things that bothered me was the BF was clean. She was pretty cut up. There was a struggle. He could have cleaned up and disposed of the clothing and shoes he was wearing. But why then leave the footprints in the blood? That part bothers me. Also, wouldn't they have found blood in the sink or shower? Also, did he have any scratches or injuries on him?

Very good points, Mysteriew. It would be hard for him to clean himself up so quickly and what would he have done with the clothes and shoes in such a short period of time? Still, it's very possible.

Detectives searching for the cold-blooded killer who stabbed exotic dancer Catherine Woods were early today quizzing her ex-boyfriend — who continued to room with the vivacious, raven-haired beauty even though she had a new beau, sources said.
Doorman David Haughn — described by police sources as "a person of interest" — had pointed the finger at Woods' current lover, a professional dancer, who was also questioned and released.

A detective told The Post that skin was found under Woods' fingernails — but Haughn had no scratches.

Just a week before she was savagely stabbed Sunday night in her Upper East Side apartment, Woods, 21, told her parents she had landed a job in an off-Broadway play called "Privilege" after an actor she was understudying got laryngitis, according to her grandfather, Clarence Greer.

A spokesman for the Second Stage Theater, where "Privilege" closed six months ago, said she had not been a cast member.

Instead, Woods — whose father, Jon Woods, is director of the famed Ohio State University marching band — was performing on another stage, at a Chelsea topless club called Privilege.

She left the strip joint in mid-July, management said.

The closest Woods got to her dream of dancing under the lights of a Broadway theater was her role as "Ava," the name she used performing at FlashDancers Gentleman's Club in Times Square.

"Penny," the club's manager, said Woods didn't socialize with the other dancers. "She talked a lot about her family," Penny said. "She was very nice and quiet. She didn't drink."

Haughn, a would-be rapper who uses the name "City," told cops he left the couple's second-floor apartment at 355 E. 86th St. at about 7 p.m. Sunday to work on his car. He said that when he returned 20 minutes later, he found the door ajar, and Woods unconscious and covered in blood. Her throat was slashed with a knife.

An upstairs neighbor, Andrew Gold, 49, heard a long scream at 6:20 p.m., followed by another, short scream, and then a scuffle as the victim's terrified dog barked.

"Then I heard a thud, like a statue knocked over," he said.

Friends and co-workers of Haughn, whose lower-income background contrasted with Woods' middle-class upbringing and who was said to be disliked by her parents, described the tall, blond, blue-eyed man as soft-spoken and somewhat naive. http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/58553.htm

Her hometown boyfriend, David Haughn, told cops he found Woods - nearly decapitated, with her larynx and jugular vein severed - in the blood-soaked bathroom of their E. 86th St. apartment Sunday night.

Police sources said investigators, for now, are accepting Haughn's alibi that he was fetching his car to drive Woods to a strip joint when she was slain.

"We haven't been able to shake his story," one source said. "He didn't appear to have the time to do the things that we know have happened, and check out and not have blood on him."

Haughn was still at the 19th Precinct stationhouse last night, where he has been ever since Woods' body was found. An aspiring hip-hop musician from Columbus who worked as a doorman at an upper East Side building, Haughn told cops that Woods had been threatened by a man for failing to return some borrowed CDs.

Sources said Woods had broken up with Haughn and had found a new boyfriend, who also has been questioned by police. Barry Lisbon, manager of Flash Dancers on Broadway at 52nd St., said Woods was scheduled to dance at the club on Sunday night.

"We knew her as Ava," he said. "She was very wholesome. We don't know what world outside of here she lived in."
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/370019p-314707c.html

Does anyone know her boyfriends age??? There was a real similar murder in Cleveland about 10 years ago, some dancer named Velvet, nearly decapitated.
just curious, probably no connection, but since he may have been from Ohio....

Hollow said:
Does anyone know her boyfriends age??? There was a real similar murder in Cleveland about 10 years ago, some dancer named Velvet, nearly decapitated.
just curious, probably no connection, but since he may have been from Ohio....

Early articles state that Catherine was 21 and David is 23 years old.

Here's a new article this morning, and it conflicts with some of the earlier thoughts. The neighbor who heard a scream and thud at 6:20 . . . that evidence would be unrelated if this article is true.

Below, the article states Catherine was on the phone until 6:30 with a girlfriend. The girlfriend thought she was alone in the apartment at the time. At 6:30, Haughn is a block or so away at his work. He calls 911 at 6:59 to report her attack presumedly from her apartment.

That is an AWFULLY tight timeline no matter how you look at it.

http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4181206&nav=LUESMuat

What a beautiful girl. Such a shame. :( Could it be possible that the murderer entered the secured building as David was exiting? Then, he knocked on Catherine's door. Catherine opened it thinking it was David returning with the car.

It doesn't take long to kill someone, perhaps a minute or two, especially if you have a knife.

nanandjim said:
What a beautiful girl. Such a shame. :( Could it be possible that the murderer entered the secured building as David was exiting? Then, he knocked on Catherine's door. Catherine opened it thinking it was David returning with the car.

It doesn't take long to kill someone, perhaps a minute or two, especially if you have a knife.
I think those are the buildings you have to have a key to get in or be buzzed in for the door to unlock.

Yes, it is a shame. She is simply gorgeous. Kind of resembles Laci in a way, too. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johlar12
Back