Found Safe NY - Cole Geise, 21, person with autism, Olean, 2 May 2021

MAY 10, 2021
Candlelight vigil held for Cole Geise, missing since May 2 | Cattaraugus County | oleantimesherald.com
Dozens of people participating in the ongoing search for Cole Geise, the 22-year-old Olean man who has been missing since the morning of May 2, gathered in the pavilion at War Veterans Park Sunday evening for a candlelight vigil.

[...]

No updates on the status of the search were given at the gathering, and Olean City Police had no updates.

On Saturday, dozens of people gathered at War Vets Park to help in the continued search for Geise, many carrying donations of water and boxes of snacks.

[...]

Saturday’s turnout to help the search, SG said, was the largest yet, and he told WGRZ that family members are grateful for the support.

[...]

Olean Police Capt. Robert Blovsky, who is leading the investigation into the May 2 disappearance, said search efforts continue after weekend searches with dozens of volunteers and several teams of dogs were unsuccessful.

“There were three different canine hits on the same scent that led a trail down by the river,” Blovsky said, adding the New York State Police dive team and the water rescue team from the Allegany Fire Department used sonar and an underwater drone to search the river near Allegany with no success.

Blovsky reported that troopers are expected to return and conduct a wider search of the river in the coming days.

Search for Olean's Cole Geise, with divers and dogs, continues

Olean Police Capt. Robert Blovsky, who is leading the investigation into the May 2 disappearance, said search efforts continue after weekend searches with dozens of volunteers and several teams of dogs were unsuccessful.

“There were three different canine hits on the same scent that led a trail down by the river,” Blovsky said, adding the New York State Police dive team and the water rescue team from the Allegany Fire Department used sonar and an underwater drone to search the river near Allegany with no success.

Blovsky reported that troopers are expected to return and conduct a wider search of the river in the coming days.

Search for Olean's Cole Geise, with divers and dogs, continues

this has me hella concerned that he fell into the river.

I know that most recently at work we say " person with autism" rather than an ""autistic person" because the later sounnds like the sole descriptor of any person, so their disability does not define them. I hope my explanation helps a a little, it confused me when I first heard it, but I get it now.

The autistic community tends to prefer identity-first language. Autism is a lifelong neurodivergence that impacts on all facets of life, it's an identity, it's not a sickness or illness and doesn't go away, which is why most autistics don't like to be called a 'person with autism'. Of course, it's ultimately an individual choice and if a person chooses to be referred to as a person with autism then one would always defer to that personal choice. But it's not the norm.

He just walks all day? Is that everyday or just on Sundays? No school? No job? Not activities? Just walking around town?
I'm guessing he does other stuff, or does stuff once he walks to those places? If a person walked literally all day every day they'd be hella skinny! It's good that he's obviously fit enough and aware of the local area enough to do that though.

He just walks all day? Is that everyday or just on Sundays? No school? No job? Not activities? Just walking around town?

At 21, he’s probably aged out of school system (some states go up to 22). It’s not always easy to get into a day program or a suitable employment program - and some of those are closed or running with a lower capacity due to covid. In my limited experience, the walking sort of becomes the job, if that makes sense. Similar to how an older retiree makes it his “job” to buy coffee, read the paper, and survey who has/hasn’t trimmed their hedges.

this has me hella concerned that he fell into the river.
I am worried for this as well. Nobody has seen him. The dogs scent goes to the river and ends. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE is looking for him in so many places I am honestly shocked he hasn’t been found
He either fell into a river or someone did something to him.
I am very worried

I am worried for this as well. Nobody has seen him. The dogs scent goes to the river and ends. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE is looking for him in so many places I am honestly shocked he hasn’t been found
He either fell into a river or someone did something to him.
I am very worried

Yes, and Olean is a very busy city. Its right off if I86 and is in general has traffic in and out. Like I said before I live 45 mins away but where I'm at is way more rural. News of him is getting locally here because my sister said people at work have talked about his case. I'm not sure about foul play I feel like something like this a missing person going missing and foul play would be an absolute first for around there. My biggest fear right now is that he fell into the river and was taken down stream. Locals in the Facebook group that have been around that river looking said its going pretty fast. On top of all this we have had cold weather around here and around the time he went missing it was raining the whole weekend which probably made the river go faster.

Yes, and Olean is a very busy city. Its right off if I86 and is in general has traffic in and out. Like I said before I live 45 mins away but where I'm at is way more rural. News of him is getting locally here because my sister said people at work have talked about his case. I'm not sure about foul play I feel like something like this a missing person going missing and foul play would be an absolute first for around there. My biggest fear right now is that he fell into the river and was taken down stream. Locals in the Facebook group that have been around that river looking said its going pretty fast. On top of all this we have had cold weather around here and around the time he went missing it was raining the whole weekend which probably made the river go faster.
I don’t want to think foul play at all, believe me. But it is hard for me to think someone didn’t see him and said nothing… it is strange to me. Or they’re scared to say something, you know?

I really hope he is found alive and well. But how the weather is being cold and rainy along with rivers being rapid.. scares me :(

At 21, he’s probably aged out of school system (some states go up to 22). It’s not always easy to get into a day program or a suitable employment program - and some of those are closed or running with a lower capacity due to covid. In my limited experience, the walking sort of becomes the job, if that makes sense. Similar to how an older retiree makes it his “job” to buy coffee, read the paper, and survey who has/hasn’t trimmed their hedges.
My neighbours grown, autistic son, has a similar habit. He walks around the town, almost all day, 'checking' on local ducks in the parks. He feeds them, makes sure the babies are safely with the brood---and he has to go to a few different areas. A golf course, a children's park, a larger state park and a large fountain at the outdoor mall. He makes it his business to do so virtually every day. ;)

I get you
I don’t want to think foul play at all, believe me. But it is hard for me to think someone didn’t see him and said nothing… it is strange to me. Or they’re scared to say something, you know?

I really hope he is found alive and well. But how the weather is being cold and rainy along with rivers being rapid.. scares me :(

I get you and I agree. I hope it’s not foul play either and they find him safe.

@Sillybilly can I put a link to the Find Cole group on fB? His mom and Dad are admins and close family friends help run it also

Yes, that's fine WillenFan, and Thanks for checking. When you do, use the Report feature to let Mods know and we can then link it in the Opening Post of the thread.

Yes, that's fine WillenFan, and Thanks for checking. When you do, use the Report feature to let Mods know and we can then link it in the Opening Post of the thread.

thank you!!

Search For Cole Geise Facebook Group;

Search For Cole Geise

His family provides updates and maybe WS can help get his story out more. His Mom and Dads name are Cassandra and Steve Geise in the group if any of you have ideas tag them in there they respond good and always looking for ideas.

Last edited:
thank you!!

Search For Cole Geise Facebook Group;

Search For Cole Geise

His family provides updates and maybe WS can help get his story out more. His Mom and Dads name are Cassandra and Steve Geise in the group if any of you have ideas tag them in there they respond good and always looking for ideas.

Maybe you can see if the parents will allow you to post this site on the facebook page as well?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Remsfled
Back