NY NY - David Mines, 41, New York City, Dec 22, 1961

I think about this alot, it is a hole that is forever there in my mind and others to varying degrees till we know where he is buried. Perhaps he was an anonymous cadaver and someone isn't forthcoming! Perhaps he was murdered, we really dont know

Re post..
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Facial/case ID
Uploaded: January 28, 2019
--

Actual photo
Uploaded: January 28, 2019
--

Actual photo
Uploaded: August 11, 2019
--

Actual photo
Uploaded: September 16, 2019
Taken 1957
''Missing Person / NamUs #MP53199 David Mines, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactDecember 21, 1961
Missing FromNew York, New York
Missing Age41 Years
Current Age100 Years''

SexMale
Height 5' 7" - 5' 8" (67 - 68 Inches)
Weight 190 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactDecember 21, 1961

Last Known Location Map
Location New York, New York
CountyNew York County

Primary Residence on Tribal Land--
Circumstances of Disappearance Mines was last seen while enroute by bus from New York to Toronto, Canada. His luggage arrived in Toronto but he was not on board. The bus had a scheduled stop in Syracuse.
Physical Description
Hair Color Black
Head Hair Description black hair straight, widows peak short
Body Hair Description --
Facial Hair Description shaven, peyos straight and short
Left Eye Color Hazel
Right Eye Color Hazel

Clothing
was orthodox Jew so may have worn hat with kippah underneath it and a suit, he would have tzitzis on, bag of his clothing was recovered with his possessions which included his religious study/prayer books

Clothing
Grey plaid overcoat, grey suit, white shirt, red tie, black shoes.

Eyewear
round eye glasses dark frame''

A good call. The recon made my heart skip a beat. Timeline is wide but could work. Location, too.
However, the initials J.U. on the hat band make me think it is not him. Its not the makers mark, those are also present,but the initials of the hat wearer.

Do we have DNA of this case? Ashkenazi markers are easy to identify.

Can anyone help the family member with next steps? She sent me this message?

How do I see if it is a match? Who do I contact that I can rely upon ? It has been a week and a half and no one has gotten back to me and many people are not experienced in this!

I submitted the tip via Crimestoppers.
Maybe family members could PM me so I can forward their contact to LE? I am in Europe and there is only so much i can do from here.
Or cintact LE directly via one if the options i posted

Regarding the description, I dont think frum men in the 1960s always wore a kippa under the hat like they do today. Back then, they just wore a hat (actually also the nonjewish world wore hats). So if there was no evidence of a kippa found, it is absolutely no exclusion. Besides that, it is hard to identify if someone does not know it.
About the tzitzis, not sure. Those could anyway fall under the category of the recovered "white underwear" fabric, especially if made from cotton.

Can anyone help the family member with next steps? She sent me this message?

How do I see if it is a match? Who do I contact that I can rely upon ? It has been a week and a half and no one has gotten back to me and many people are not experienced in this!
If I were a family member, I would email:
tips@missing-u.ca

or

opp.isb.resolve@opp.ca

(for the two addresses above, reference case#: MPUB-20050012),

and/or

canadasmissing-disparuscanada@rcmp-grc.gc.ca
(for this email address, reference case #: 2016026481).
01F0CDC0-5B82-4C39-90AF-9A4A23249014.jpeg
https://www.services.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/missing-disparus/MissingPersonPoster.pdf

Re: Wellington John Doe who is like our uncle David Mines. I spoke with a custom hat maker in Buffalo. In french the word jou means play. I wonder if the initials are really initials because if it was a cloth tag it could indicate the usage of the hat which they put into the store. Also David was poor, I think my father in law bought him a or that suit and the hat could have been someone elses. In addition, in a picture you can't see which is with our family the hat color, shape band are the same as his that he was wearing in the picture a year before disappearance. ALSO, if it is initials it would be embroidered like with the name of the hat shop which I researched and believe it was purchased in Toronto initials yes were commonly put in so you couldn't return it back to the shop. Please notice that they wrote Bathersby and there is no such hat, they did a typo I believe for Battersby which was a European hat maker that made them for stores....also the shop was Calhoun's Smile Hat Shop I would wager in Toronto. If there is typo in that then there could be typo in the initials or maybe no dots and if a cloth tag it would be apt to be the function of the hat. Can anyone find out? Did they analyze wool vs cotton on the fabric, did they keep all these items? Did they keep them properly, do they have DNA on him? We have on ours in Codis and they did mitochondrial but no matches so far in NY. I so much want our DNA on I-familia at Interpol but the NYPD officer told me no and told me no for giving him an NCIC number which Royal Canadian Police work off of I read somewhere....I need an experienced interested NYPD missing persons unit party that is assertive and realizes our pain. I haven't given up, it has been almost a month and no one has contacted me that appears to have clout in doing match up. No one has ever done forsenics on our relatives face either...ALSO the four buttons that they say is underwear, someone wearing a white shirt like ours, ours wouldn't be wearing long underwear I believe....from NYC...why do they state the 4 buttons from underwear, ours was wearing a grey suit, a suit will have 4 buttons on the sleeve, they are small, I assume on a grey suit the buttons would be a make sense color....what exactly do they have and aren't there any photos? Anyone know someone with clout to do a match????I can't believe that Ontario guy has been unidentified without DNA!!!!!!!!!!!! I hear Ontario has mega amounts of unidentified and is behind the USA.....it would be sooo kind to do matches between Canada and USA, really I think Canada and Mexico unidentified remains should also be on NAMUS for those that may be USA, keep in mind the USA coins the guy had! Just a possibility, I counted like 10-16 matchups with our missing person it is hard to wait for news either way so I can move on!!!!

Re: Wellington John Doe who is like our uncle David Mines. I spoke with a custom hat maker in Buffalo. In french the word jou means play. I wonder if the initials are really initials because if it was a cloth tag it could indicate the usage of the hat which they put into the store. Also David was poor, I think my father in law bought him a or that suit and the hat could have been someone elses. In addition, in a picture you can't see which is with our family the hat color, shape band are the same as his that he was wearing in the picture a year before disappearance. ALSO, if it is initials it would be embroidered like with the name of the hat shop which I researched and believe it was purchased in Toronto initials yes were commonly put in so you couldn't return it back to the shop. Please notice that they wrote Bathersby and there is no such hat, they did a typo I believe for Battersby which was a European hat maker that made them for stores....also the shop was Calhoun's Smile Hat Shop I would wager in Toronto. If there is typo in that then there could be typo in the initials or maybe no dots and if a cloth tag it would be apt to be the function of the hat. Can anyone find out? Did they analyze wool vs cotton on the fabric, did they keep all these items? Did they keep them properly, do they have DNA on him? We have on ours in Codis and they did mitochondrial but no matches so far in NY. I so much want our DNA on I-familia at Interpol but the NYPD officer told me no and told me no for giving him an NCIC number which Royal Canadian Police work off of I read somewhere....I need an experienced interested NYPD missing persons unit party that is assertive and realizes our pain. I haven't given up, it has been almost a month and no one has contacted me that appears to have clout in doing match up. No one has ever done forsenics on our relatives face either...ALSO the four buttons that they say is underwear, someone wearing a white shirt like ours, ours wouldn't be wearing long underwear I believe....from NYC...why do they state the 4 buttons from underwear, ours was wearing a grey suit, a suit will have 4 buttons on the sleeve, they are small, I assume on a grey suit the buttons would be a make sense color....what exactly do they have and aren't there any photos? Anyone know someone with clout to do a match????I can't believe that Ontario guy has been unidentified without DNA!!!!!!!!!!!! I hear Ontario has mega amounts of unidentified and is behind the USA.....it would be sooo kind to do matches between Canada and USA, really I think Canada and Mexico unidentified remains should also be on NAMUS for those that may be USA, keep in mind the USA coins the guy had! Just a possibility, I counted like 10-16 matchups with our missing person it is hard to wait for news either way so I can move on!!!!

I think just doing an autosomal DNA test of the UID for Ashkenazi markers would put us a step forward already.

There are several companies doing old autosomal DNA profiles, Othram, led by David Mittelman comes to my mind. But not sure if Othram takes on Canadian cases?
@othram

I would contact the Canadian authorities directly, rather than NYPD, it is easier to work with them I think. Tell them you think the UID is a match to your missing uncle.
Othram has been taking on some Canadian cases and rocking them!
Thanks for helping @ Susikatze!
Information about company...
Othram - Justice Through Genomics

Ws thread, on which the owner of Othram, David Mittelman, also posts, added this thread to that one..
Othram - General Discussion

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing and linking. I hope we can make some progress and bring David home. I would be thrilled if it was him and he could finally get a Jewish burial after all those years. I would be super thrilled if David Mittelman and Othram would take on this case.
Is it known where the UID was buried? I have no information on that but LE will certainly have it.

I think just doing an autosomal DNA test of the UID for Ashkenazi markers would put us a step forward already.

There are several companies doing old autosomal DNA profiles, Othram, led by David Mittelman comes to my mind. But not sure if Othram takes on Canadian cases?
@othram

We announced two Canadian cases in the past week :)

Thanks for sharing and linking. I hope we can make some progress and bring David home. I would be thrilled if it was him and he could finally get a Jewish burial after all those years. I would be super thrilled if David Mittelman and Othram would take on this case.
Is it known where the UID was buried? I have no information on that but LE will certainly have it.

If he was last seen in Toronto, we can help connect the family to some great investigators at the Toronto Police Service. Ask the family to contact us at solve@othram.com.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back