Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #1 *P. Hernandez guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read he renovated the basement right after Etan went missing. That is what put him on the radar originally. I am not sure why the police would not pursue it though. Even, if the family felt he was a good friend...confused. Does this happen a lot in investigations? Curious.

This was a long time ago - child abduction investigations have evolved significantly since then.

This was a long time ago - child abduction investigations have evolved significantly since then.

BBM

I agree.

Thirty-three years ago, it was generally assumed that most abductions were by strangers. We've learned in the years following that many children are abducted/murdered by people they or the family know.

Diane Sawyer just covered this case on the news. I thought they were going to report specific findings but they're still digging up the basement of the neighbor's house.
The pain never goes away - you can see it in Etan's father's face as he speaks about what his child must have endured when he realized he was being betrayed by an adult. I hope the case is solved tomorrow.

BBM

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that Etan was an only child. I tried googling but couldn't find anything one way or the other.

I just read there was an older sibling who was 8 and a younger who was 2. I read so many of the articles but let me try and find that link.

I just read there was an older sibling who was 8 and a younger who was 2. I read so many of the articles but let me try and find that link.

I know the siblings can never replace the boy they lost so tragically, but it does soothe me that they had their other children to raise there. I cannot imagine staying in that apartment all of these years without the other children to bring them some joy and distraction. :rose;

I have a question. I am not sure if this is off-topic. But, IF they do find Etan or evidence of Etan's passing where they are searching...what happens to Ramos? Can he sue? After all, while he is a known pedophile, he has spent years wrongly accused for this. I know Etan's dad sends Ramos a missing child poster each year on the anniversary that say "what did you to do to my little boy." Is there recourse for Ramos (not that I condone or apologize for his behavior)? I am more curious about the law...

This is the information I always remember reading about Etan. It broke my heart then, and it breaks my heart now. I PRAY that Etan is found, and justice is served:

"Stanley Patz, a photographer, and his wife Julie lived in a loft on Prince Street with their three children: Shira, then age 8; Etan, 6; and Ari, 2."

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/etan_patz/index.html

Interestingly, I also remember reading a while back that Ramos was up for parole in 2012.... wonder if it is related to the current investigation. :waitasec:

Ramos is up for parole in 2012, but Stan Patz, who is 68 now, hopes reopening Etan's case will keep Ramos behind bars. "We're hoping to get a bunch of New Yorkers up in arms saying, 'Hang the *advertiser censored*!' Patz told the New York Daily News this month. "Get the pitchforks out."

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/05/27/da-reopens-case-of-first-missing-child-on-milk-carton/

This is amazing news! If his remains are found, it will bring new hope to other parents of missing children. Hopefully the Patz's can finally have a proper burial for him and can feel "some" sort of peace knowing for sure what happened. i can't use the word closure because i can't imagine you can ever have closure when a child is taken away from you.. whether he is found alive or not.

I have a question. I am not sure if this is off-topic. But, IF they do find Etan or evidence of Etan's passing where they are searching...what happens to Ramos? Can he sue? After all, while he is a known pedophile, he has spent years wrongly accused for this. I know Etan's dad sends Ramos a missing child poster each year on the anniversary that say "what did you to do to my little boy." Is there recourse for Ramos (not that I condone or apologize for his behavior)? I am more curious about the law...

I don't think so because reportedly he made semi-confessions over the years. He made some false confessions and then retracted them. Is that correct?

Police are also speaking with a Brooklyn handyman who worked at 127 Prince.

In 2004, a civil court judge determined Jose Ramos, the boyfriend of Etan's babysitter, was responsible for the boy's death.

However, former Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau long argued there was not enough evidence to bring criminal charges against Ramos, who is currently serving time in Pennsylvania for molesting two boys.

Two years ago, current Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. reopened the case, though no new evidence was ever found.

http://manhattan.ny1.com/content/ne...ment-for-possible-new-clues-in-etan-patz-case

This handyman wasn't looked into due the the family insisting he was a good friend. Some tip brought the FBI there with a K9 who indicated human remains. At the time Etan went missing, this handyman in the building their checking now, laid a concrete floor in the basement..so, they will dig it up..listening now..

I pray for Etan to be brought home and given a proper burial..Don't know but the handyman's daughter was interviewed, her dad's cooperating and he didn't do anything and doesn't know anything. He was checked out when this first occured...

I shudder to think the guilt and anguish the family will feel if this was in fact the case and they basically prevented LE from investigating this man :(
Sigh...

I read he renovated the basement right after Etan went missing. That is what put him on the radar originally. I am not sure why the police would not pursue it though. Even, if the family felt he was a good friend...confused. Does this happen a lot in investigations? Curious.

Ramos confessed and recanted...

And Yes, sometimes cases go unsolved for years.

People confess and recant..a new tip leads to something more to look into..

This was a cold case just reopened by the SA...I give him a huge Kudos for doing so and kept it under wraps...Never knew about this till this evening on the news..

what I heard on the news, there is a sealed affidavit leading to a tip, had sonar equipment and a K9 go back to that basement, which both alerted to human remains, well just the K9 the sonar led to images they felt needed to be checked further, disturbances is the word used in regards to the sonar equipment...

Dont quote me I was listening while eating dinner..I'll look for updates...

I shudder to think the guilt and anguish the family will feel if this was in fact the case and they basically prevented LE from investigating this man :(
Sigh...

I am sure they will feel a range of very conflicting emotions but I would say that it's the responsibility of the law enforcement to decide who to investigate and who not to. The distraught family can give helpful hints but they can't rule anybody out on the basis that they like him.

I thought Ramos was in prison for a conviction on different charges. Not related to Etan? That Etan's family brought civil suit against him but that was for 2 Million in damages.

They published the mug shot of OM that I saw earlier:

http://abcnews.go.com/meta/search/i...ges/US/ht_othneil_miller_etan_patz_thg_120419

http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Othniel_Miller_4640816/

His arrest was in FL but he has property in Brooklyn and it's being reported that he's already been talked to (Village Voice article backthread IIRC posted by WFG)

"We are looking for human remains, clothing or other personal effects of Etan Patz,'' Browne said.

"Information that was known at the time is being re-examined. It does involve a suspect," he said, according to the Daily News.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-missing-since-1979/1?csp=34news#.T5CiNdXYc1I

Wow... I really hope this case is solved and someone is held accountable. I was 13 and living in NY at the time and i will never, ever forget Etan. His posters were everywhere and it was just one of my first glimpses of the "real" world :(

ETA: To everyone that has posted on this thread today you got a thanks from me but my thanks buttons are wonky today and not showing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname