NY - Ex-President Donald Trump, charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023, Trial 25 Mar 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can gift them to you through DM.
Let me know the headline of anything you want to read. I can gift an article to an unlimited number of people but each article only counts as one gift by my subscription so the offer is open to everyone. NYT’s sent out a notice encouraging subscribers use our gift privileges to share articles with non subscribers.
You can share gift subscriptions by posting them in the thread as well. I'm always grateful when someone posts a gift article from NYT or WP on Twitter.

Or stop investigating and charging him.

Clear example: all the discussion about his taxes... why doesn't he turn over his taxes? what's he hiding in his taxes? Every other presidential candidate has turned over their taxes, why hasn't he? Finally his taxes are made public and what happened - nothing. All of this only emboldens him. I said it earlier, he would have been gone a long time ago if he weren't constantly being attacked or investigated and with nothing coming of it.

He should be allowed to get away with things because... why?

You can share gift subscriptions by posting them in the thread as well. I'm always grateful when someone posts a gift article from NYT or WP on Twitter.
Unfortunately we cannot. I had gift posts removed and was told by the mods that WS does not allow us to gift NYT’s on the thread. I shared the statements from NYT’s with the mods in early February but have still not received approval.

The investigations are leading no where, that is my point. Your opinion is he's getting away with things.

As it often goes with organized crime bosses, he has not personally been convicted, but lots of people close to him have been. The Trump Org itself was just convicted, and for tax fraud and falsifying business records, and by this same DA.

Not to mention all the multiple judgments or settlements against him, like the Trump Foundation or Trump University.

As it often goes with organized crime bosses, he has not personally been convicted, but lots of people close to him have been. The Trump Org itself was just convicted, and for tax fraud and falsifying business records, and by this same DA.

Not to mention all the multiple judgments or settlements against him, like the Trump Foundation or Trump University.
Hmmm who's name is on the Trump Org? Who started that company? Who ran it for many years?

The investigations are leading no where, that is my point. Your opinion is he's getting away with things.

Well a jury voted to indict him. They feel that he broke laws. There is an indictment stating such. You're saying he shouldn't have been charged for these crimes. It's not my opinion. I wasn't on this grand jury.

That is a loop hole that should have been addressed years ago- now is a good time to address it
Probably not. Regardless of Trump’s political future (he is old, after all), putting the opposition party’s leader behind bars has been practiced in many countries with undemocratic regimes. Malaysia comes to mind. Its current PM spent several years behind bars on bogus charges. But even in Malaysia it did not prevent him from being elected. Good or bad, his party is more progressive than the previous one. So maybe, it is not a loophole but yet another factor safeguarding the democracy, in principle and unrelated to Trump.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we cannot. I had gift posts removed and was told by the mods that WS does not allow us to gift NYT’s on the thread. I shared the statements from NYT’s with the mods in early February but have still not received approval.
It likely has something to do with the legal aspect which I can totally understand. But it would be nice to have the option to read something in it’s entirety rather than just the cherry-picked parts. imo

Thanks for your kind offer to share through DM.

GRT: I was unable to carry your post forward from the prior thread but I want you to know I agree with you about Bragg: I believe this is a political move. I hate it. It isn't that he isn't guilty of these allegations: we shall wait to see on that- but the timing of this indictment and arrest leaves him open to all kinds of concerns. I want Donald Trump to be punished for his serious crimes- we know what those are: this is a nothing burger and as you pointed out, could get him re-elected. All those talking heads are so excited about this cause they get to blab away endlessly on cable ----

Or stop investigating and charging him.

Clear example: all the discussion about his taxes... why doesn't he turn over his taxes? what's he hiding in his taxes? Every other presidential candidate has turned over their taxes, why hasn't he? Finally his taxes are made public and what happened - nothing. All of this only emboldens him. I said it earlier, he would have been gone a long time ago if he weren't constantly being attacked or investigated and with nothing coming of it.
Nothing came of it except a $1.61 million in fines and penalties, the maximum amount allowed by law, and Trump’s CFO, Allen Weisselberg, who Trump says is like a member of the family, was sent to jail.

The Trump Organization has been ordered to pay $1.61 million for tax fraud

January 13, 2023

The sentence comes after a Manhattan jury found Donald Trump's family enterprise guilty of all charges last month in a long-running tax-fraud scheme.

At the heart of the case were a variety of maneuvers that allowed Weisselberg and other top executives to avoid paying taxes on their income from the Trump businesses.

Weisselberg acknowledged on the stand that the move enabled the Trump business to avoid Medicare and payroll taxes.

According to the Manhattan District Attorney's Office, this chapter of the criminal investigation of Trump and his businesses is over but a wider investigation of Trump's business practices is ongoing.

A sprawling civil suit from New York Attorney General Letitia James is also scheduled to go to trial in the fall.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-calls--fbi-doj-1234709965/

“REPUBLICANS IN CONGRESS SHOULD DE-FUND THE DOJ AND FBI UNTIL THEY COME TO THEIR SENSES,” he wrote on Truth Social. “THE DEMOCRATS HAVE TOTALLY WEAPONIZED LAW ENFORCEMENT IN OUR COUNTRY AND ARE VICIOUSLY USING THIS ABUSE OF POWER TO INTERFERE WITH OUR ALREADY UNDER SIEGE ELECTIONS!”

In another post, he described his indictment as “morally disgusting” and added it had “NO MERIT” and “is not even a case”.

Mr Trump’s comments came after his lawyer, Joe Tacopina, pushed back on claims that the former president was inciting violence against the judge during his speech in Mar-a-Lago on Tuesday evening, when he called Justice Juan Merchen “the real criminal”.

Mr Tacopina told NBC this morning: "No one is suggesting anything should happen to the judge or his family, and President Trump's comments did not, in any way, shape or form, incite violence against the judge or anyone else."

“REPUBLICANS IN CONGRESS SHOULD THE DOJ AND FBI UNTIL THEY COME TO THEIR SENSES,” he wrote on Truth Social. “THE DEMOCRATS HAVE TOTALLY WEAPONIZED LAW ENFORCEMENT IN OUR COUNTRY AND ARE VICIOUSLY USING THIS ABUSE OF POWER TO INTERFERE WITH OUR ALREADY UNDER SIEGE ELECTIONS!”

Does he come up with this stuff on his own? Do people write it for him? Do they remember weaponizing law enforcement against minorities for gee, I don't know, like 200+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat