NY - Forced to euthanize dog, struggling NYC actor kills self

Somewhat OT but in-response to above:

My very first GSD came to live with me in a city apartment, decades ago. I took her on long walks several times a day, plus planned weekend trips to a best friend's home where she could run free amongst others of her kind.

On work nights, I used a 16' lunge line so she could run in a big circle around me, in parking lots behind dept stores on Wilshire Blvd...

And still, I worried that I was not doing enough for her.

Then 'somebodies' told me that the many GSDs living in Germany don't necessarily enjoy yards such as some have in California where we lived. Nope, they reside in small apts or little homes too. The difference? Like I did, they walk their dogs daily and take them off-premises for activity.

It *can* be done.

Also, being shunned for having a big dog or a pit type can be disturbing to a dog's companion who knows hir own. Some ppl just don't get it, no matter how many ways you might try to explain/educate them. :-/

ALL that said, I believe the suicide in this case occurred for other reasons none of us is privy to know. Where was his family and where were his friends before he resorted to such a tragic conclusion?

~jmo~

This was the saddest thing I have read in a long time. I can't imagine having to go through that, no matter what the reason. Obviously he must have felt he had no alternative. I am sure it would be hard to find a rescue group to take an aggressive dog.

This was the saddest thing I have read in a long time. I can't imagine having to go through that, no matter what the reason. Obviously he must have felt he had no alternative. I am sure it would be hard to find a rescue group to take an aggressive dog.

Yes, a breed so labeled with a description that would not necessarily fit his dog at all. :-(

Plus, his dog was older than 'puppy' age, another 'not wanted' characteristic.

Maybe he tried...

There were probably other issues going on with him, but the dog being put down made it worse. Sometimes people don't understand the attachment people with depression can have with their pets. I've suffered from severe depression and the only living thing that I had was my cat. At least it felt that way. Taking care of him was the only reason I got out of bed most of the time. He kept me going. My family tease me about my adoration of him, but he really helps cheer me up. Animals are better than any therapy or medication that I've tried.

There were probably other issues going on with him, but the dog being put down made it worse. Sometimes people don't understand the attachment people with depression can have with their pets. I've suffered from severe depression and the only living thing that I had was my cat. At least it felt that way. Taking care of him was the only reason I got out of bed most of the time. He kept me going. My family tease me about my adoration of him, but he really helps cheer me up. Animals are better than any therapy or medication that I've tried.

WTG, jjw...ITA and I *do* understand.

Not only ppl suffering from depression...

The loss of his Rocco may well have been the very last straw, or rather the last act that he felt forced to take...or felt he had any control over as well.

Although I cannot relate easily to his choice (not in his shoes), I surely can relate to his pain in the aftermath.

Blaming us is just pit ‘bull’

"A member of the condo board that soap actor Nick Santino said pressured him to euthanize his pit bull — a “betrayal” that drove him to suicide — refused to accept any responsibility for the double tragedy yesterday."

“I’m sorry the man is dead,” board member Marilyn Fireman barked to The Post, “But it has nothing to do with the pet policy.”

“You just assumed that [his suicide] was a result of a board’s decision,” Fireman said, even though Santino routinely griped about the building’s anti-dog policies."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/blaming_us_is_just_pit_bull_F1kBWwYhhwui6B3tecpcuK#ixzz1kqNL6CeA

WTG, jjw...ITA and I *do* understand.

Not only ppl suffering from depression...

The loss of his Rocco may well have been the very last straw, or rather the last act that he felt forced to take...or felt he had any control over as well.

Although I cannot relate easily to his choice (not in his shoes), I surely can relate to his pain in the aftermath.

And if he took the dog back to the shelter, it likely would have been put down anyway. Probably no one would take the dog. If he felt harassed in the building, his only option would have been to move somewhere, but again is hard with a pitbull, and for a "struggling" actor it probably was not possible financially to move. There are all these photos of him with the dog and he clearly appears to be very attached to the dog. The guilt must have been overwhelming once he put the dog down.

And if he took the dog back to the shelter, it likely would have been put down anyway. Probably no one would take the dog. If he felt harassed in the building, his only option would have been to move somewhere, but again is hard with a pitbull, and for a "struggling" actor it probably was not possible financially to move. There are all these photos of him with the dog and he clearly appears to be very attached to the dog. The guilt must have been overwhelming once he put the dog down.
I agree. I see no reason why the story couldn't have unfolded as told. Put me in this guy's shoes, walk me down the path he took, and - well, hide the pills.

That is so true and you were (and are) not alone.

:)

my dog gets muzzled at the vet because when he gets nervous he growls and bares his teeth - the vet errs on the side of caution and i don't blame them. i have never seen this behavior in him outside of the vet, however.

this poor man and his poor dog :(

I have friends that have chosen to be homeless rather then give up their dog. My friend Kevin lived on the streets and was offered housing but it didn't allow animals so he refused it. Moona was all he had.
I understand how the guy felt. I have 4 dogs and it would be virtually impossible to find a place that takes that many dogs. My current landlord is very easy going but that is rare. I often have anxiety over the thought of having to find another place to live with all my dogs.

Ya what a sad story. My dog is considered a family member, loosing her would be beyond sad. I think this young man was depressed about other things, I think his dog was his comfort. I wish they could have lived here on earth together.

IMO, this young man was too depressed to deal with life's challenges, whatever they might have been. It can be impossible for a depressed person to come up with and carry out a workable solution to a problem -- it's all just too difficult and complicated in that state of mind. I'd love to blame the condo board (hate them!) or his neighbors for his suicide or for his euthanizing his dog, but I just can't.

For context here, I own a wonderful pit bull whom I love more than life and have often experienced the negativity of "breedists." However, I don't think the condo's new rules were unreasonable. Pit bulls are commonly dog aggressive, and might attack other dogs who are present when elevator doors open. I also don't think it's unreasonable to insist that dogs not be left alone more than 9 hours.

There were many solutions available to him. He could have kept his dog and moved, kept his dog and stayed, or found a different home for his dog. If he were really poor and struggling financially, he would not have been able to afford to live at One Lincoln Plaza (starting at over $800,000.00.) Pit bulls are very popular dogs and are not routinely put down by the Humane Society in New York, so taking his pup to the pound or advertising his availability was one option some people might take.

I feel terrible that he was so ill that handling the difficulties of life was impossible for him.

The condo board being blamed for this is crazy IMO.

It's a sad story, but the blame of this suicide should be placed whre it belongs.
Depression? Maybe

But not a condo board.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member