Identified! NY - Harlem, BlkMale 1609UMNY, 20-30, USMC Tattoo, Jun'97 Leroy Bernard Matthews

I am going to send an email to the Brownsville, TX Police Department to see if I can get any more info on Robert King Scott. Hopefully they will be willing to help! I will let you know what I find out (if anything).

I was going to do that as well, but it sounds like you are already in the process of sending. As I was getting ready for work this morning, I remembered that no one had said, for sure, that they had sent an email to Brownsville, so I made myself a note to remember to do it.

Thanks for sending the email. Hopefully we can get some answers on Robert's case....even some basic info on his height, weight, AND tattoos!

I was going to do that as well, but it sounds like you are already in the process of sending. As I was getting ready for work this morning, I remembered that no one had said, for sure, that they had sent an email to Brownsville, so I made myself a note to remember to do it.

Thanks for sending the email. Hopefully we can get some answers on Robert's case....even some basic info on his height, weight, AND tattoos!

Sorry for jumping in there! I hate waiting :)! I just sent the email, I asked if there were any other photos, about dna, tattoos and other identifiers.

I am about to drive down to the city and go the ME office and the 30th Precinct since they don't seem to want to return emails/calls! UGHH!! If it wasn't 6 hours away I really would!!

Sorry for jumping in there! I hate waiting :)! I just sent the email, I asked if there were any other photos, about dna, tattoos and other identifiers.

I am about to drive down to the city and go the ME office and the 30th Precinct since they don't seem to want to return emails/calls! UGHH!! If it wasn't 6 hours away I really would!!

No worries! I'm glad you remembered to do it. I kept forgetting. Let me know if you don't get a response and I will try to email as well.

Does anyone know of a reporter in the NYC area who might be interested in doing a story on all of these unidentified men from the area?

Does anyone know of a reporter in the NYC area who might be interested in doing a story on all of these unidentified men from the area?

We may just be able to put a nicely worded email together and send it out to several papers. We may have more luck with the smaller ones. I'd be happy to help put something together.

We may just be able to put a nicely worded email together and send it out to several papers. We may have more luck with the smaller ones. I'd be happy to help put something together.

That would be GREAT! Maybe if a paper did an article they would pay a little attention to us and we could get at least some basic answers!

That would be GREAT! Maybe if a paper did an article they would pay a little attention to us and we could get at least some basic answers!

You have a bit more insight on the other missing people from the area. Do you want to PM me with your thoughts on those and then I will put something together. I don't want to convolute this thread with other stuff not pertaining directly to this case.

Once I get your info on the other missing people, I will add in the info for this UID and send it back to you so you can check it out before I send it. Sound good?

I just sent out another email to Brownsville, TX police dept, hopefully I will hear something this time.

I sent out 30 emails to newspapers in the NYC area requesting that they do an article on our John Doe. Hopefully we can get somone to do an article!!

Thanks CherBearSTL for writting the email!!

Former Marine here, I saw this thread the other day and began thinking who was the best to contact. CID, O&I or Naval Intelligence. Finally I decided the best thing might be to contact the unit Commander of 1st Recon.

You are right, recon is a specialty unit in the Marine Corps made of special teams.

It's been years since my connected service so I'm not sure of the movement of the various unit designations. One thing to keep in mind is just because he was assigned to 1st Recon doesn't mean he ended his service in 1st recon.

One thing does strike me though is 1st Recon is a west coast installation. I'd assume but can't be sure he entered service from somewhere on the west coast. I'd think he would have entered boot camp in San Diego and got advanced infantry training in Camp Pendleton. Then moving into his field of Recon, also in Pendleton.

So if you entered the Marine Corp on the east coast, You would go to Parris Island, SC for boot camp, Camp Lejeune for Advanced infantry training and Lejeune for recon school.

Having said all that and since ya'll have some letters prepared I'm giving you an address to the 1st Recon Battallion Commanding Officer. Of course more than one of you may write.

Lieutenant Colonel Brian L. Gilman
Commanding Officer
1st Reconnaissance Battalion
PO BOX 555300
Camp Pendleton,
CA 92055-5300

Thanks for looking out for our Marines

Former Marine here, I saw this thread the other day and began thinking who was the best to contact. CID, O&I or Naval Intelligence. Finally I decided the best thing might be to contact the unit Commander of 1st Recon.

You are right, recon is a specialty unit in the Marine Corps made of special teams.

It's been years since my connected service so I'm not sure of the movement of the various unit designations. One thing to keep in mind is just because he was assigned to 1st Recon doesn't mean he ended his service in 1st recon.

One thing does strike me though is 1st Recon is a west coast installation. I'd assume but can't be sure he entered service from somewhere on the west coast. I'd think he would have entered boot camp in San Diego and got advanced infantry training in Camp Pendleton. Then moving into his field of Recon, also in Pendleton.

So if you entered the Marine Corp on the east coast, You would go to Parris Island, SC for boot camp, Camp Lejeune for Advanced infantry training and Lejeune for recon school.

Having said all that and since ya'll have some letters prepared I'm giving you an address to the 1st Recon Battallion Commanding Officer. Of course more than one of you may write.

Commanding Officer
PO BOX 555300
Camp Pendleton,
CA 92055-5300

Thank you for your help! We seem to be running into a brick wall trying to get info!

Possible? What do you all think about this one? Everything is close enough. I think the lips are perfect. Can't decide on the angle of the nose. Maybe he didn't want to attend college any longer?

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/show/7825

I certainly think it's possible. It doesn't list any tattoos or any history of being in the armed forces, but that doesn't eliminate him either. Although, I think the UID looks quite a bit older than this pic of Edgar Forbes.

I sent out a letter to Lieutenant Colonel Brian L. Gilman, Commanding Officer, 1st Reconnaissance Battalion last night, will let you know what I hear....

What about Jerome White?
This is the only pic I can find of him

John Doe was found with white Fila Tennis shoes and Jerome was wearing White Fila tennis shoes whan last seen (I know they are common, just throwing out any possibilities)

What do you think?
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2519/3?current_page=physical_characteristics

Or Andre El? He was last seen on JUNE 23, 1997. The same day John Doe was found.
He was from TN. I wonder what time it was he was last seen. Maybe he traveled to NY for some reason? I'm not sure the timing matches up but what do you think? I'm not so sure of the accuracy of the details listed in John Does profile since they ME/ LE won't return phone calls and give any info on him.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/25/15?current_page=circumstances

What about Jerome White?
This is the only pic I can find of him

John Doe was found with white Fila Tennis shoes and Jerome was wearing White Fila tennis shoes whan last seen (I know they are common, just throwing out any possibilities)

What do you think?
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2519/3?current_page=physical_characteristics

I think there are a lot of things that match. What do you think about the pics? Do they look similar?

The dates are slightly off, but anything is possible!

Or Andre El? He was last seen on JUNE 23, 1997. The same day John Doe was found.
He was from TN. I wonder what time it was he was last seen. Maybe he traveled to NY for some reason? I'm not sure the timing matches up but what do you think? I'm not so sure of the accuracy of the details listed in John Does profile since they ME/ LE won't return phone calls and give any info on him.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/25/15?current_page=circumstances

I think Andre is a LOT bigger than the UID. The UID was only 130 lbs. and much shorter.

Commanding Officer
PO BOX 555300
Camp Pendleton,
CA 92055-5300

Hi Peliman. I asked for advice as to who to contact for info at SERE (NC). Everyone seemed to think the CO as well, so sent a letter off.

Thank you for your service to our wonderful country.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back