NY NY - Heidi Allen, 18, New Haven, 3 April 1994

"Heidi Allen feared request to snitch on cocaine dealers before 1994 kidnapping, co-worker says"

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/10/heidi_allen_worked_as_drug_informant_feared_investigators_request_to_target_coca.html

Shortly before she was kidnapped, Heidi Allen told a friend she was working as a drug informant and was afraid because investigators wanted information on more serious narcotics, a new witness says.

An affidavit from Rhonda Burr, who used to work with Allen, could conflict with testimony from Oswego County sheriff's officials that their office never used any information Allen gave them as a confidential informant.

It feels like they are getting closer and closer in finding out the truth to what exactly happened to Heidi.

RIP Susan Allen

Other articles from late last month:

New twist in Heidi Allen case: DA doesn't oppose evidence uncovered by Thibodeau's lawyers - September 29, 2015

District Attorney Greg Oakes won't oppose a request from defense lawyers to call Allen's cousin to testify about a bracelet she gave Allen that she says mysteriously showed up in her mailbox years after Allen was kidnapped, he told a judge in a court filing Monday.

The cousin, Melissa Adams, says she gave Allen an ID bracelet before the kidnapping and that it mysteriously turned up at least 14 years after the abduction.

The DA didn't say whether he thought Allen was wearing the bracelet when she was kidnapped.

September Closes Out a Bittersweet Month for Those Involved in Heidi Allen Case - September 29, 2015

“On Friday, Mom asked, ‘What is today?’ We told her, ‘Friday.’ Then she asked, ‘When is Heidi’s birthday?’ to which we responded…on Monday. She said, ‘Okay’ and closed her eyes. This was one of the last conversations we had before she went into a comfortable and pain-free sleep,” said Lisa in her blog post.

Now, more than 21 years after the abduction of her daughter, Sue has been reunited with her daughter on Heidi’s 40th birthday.

“Happy 40th Birthday Heidi, For your birthday, God gifted you Mom. We love and miss you both,” said a picture posted to Lisa’s blog.

heidi-20-button-300x302.jpg

Brother of possible Heidi Allen kidnapping suspect reveals cryptic detail

Sometime before Heidi Allen was kidnapped in 1994, Michael Bohrer had his brother go into the store where she worked and look for a particular female employee, the brother says.

John Bohrer told Syracuse.com last week he thought the request was odd.

Michael Bohrer drove his brother to the D&W Convenience store in New Haven and told him to look for a certain girl, John Bohrer said.

"I went in the store and there was no girl working there so I went back to his car and said, 'She's not there,'" John Bohrer said in an interview at a nursing home in Erie, Pa.

Aunt: Heidi Allen made deal with police to avoid charges

Heidi Allen's aunt, Martha Sturtz, met with Oswego County Sheriff's investigators on September 8. In a recorded interview, Sturtz says Allen (who was then 15 years old) had been babysitting her cousin Mellissa Searles' child at a house on Pleasant Point road near Lake Ontario in the early 1990s. Sturtz says Allen was often babysitting late into the night.

"Heidi got so she was staying there instead of coming home and got in with the whole group. My sister, that has passed away now, got called to Pleasant Point for a party they had down there, this was before there were many places down there they were having a booze party," said Sturtz.

Sturtz said Heidi Allen was not living at home when she disappeared and she had been living with another aunt and grandmother for five or six months.

Gary Thibodeau's attorneys want more information on Allen's home life, saying the fact that she was not living at home as a result of an entanglement with the legal system should have been turned over to Thibodeau's defense in 1994.

Judge rules Gary Thibodeau attorney can not call additional witness in Heidi Allen appeal

"Just because defendant argues that Michael Bohrer engaged in suspicious and criminal activity in 1981 that could be considered as a possible fact pattern underlying Heidi Allen's abduction, the Court will not speculate on that hypothetical scenario and deem it relevant or admissible," said King in his decision.

"The Court denies defendant's request in its entirety on the grounds that the testimony and proffered evidence is either too speculative, immaterial, unreliable, based upon hearsay, or, moreover, irrelevant," said King.

Judge King said he would not allow Thibodeau's attorney to do a "fishing expedition" into material he did not consider material to Thibodeau's prosecution.

"It is undisputed Ms. Allen was an informant prior to her disappearance, and any tangential information gleaned from a supposed Family Court proceeding is irrelevant," said Judge King.

Thank you syracuse.com for the continuing and comprehensive coverage of this case.

Heidi Allen kidnapping hearing ends: Read the final arguments from both sides - November 16th

It's now up to a judge to decide whether Gary Thibodeau's lawyers have raised enough concerns about his conviction in the 1994 kidnapping of Heidi Allen.

Oswego County District Attorney Greg Oakes and Thibodeau's lawyer, Lisa Peebles, filed their final written arguments today in the long-running court battle over Thibodeau's request to overturn the conviction.

She asked acting Oswego County Judge Daniel King not only to overturn the verdict, but to go so far as to dismiss the indictment against Thibodeau. To do that, the judge would have to find that Thibodeau's lawyers had established his "actual innocence."

7 hints from judge in Heidi Allen kidnapping that he won't overturn Thibodeau's conviction - November 9th

1. During a hearing on Thibodeau's request for a new trial, King suggested he wasn't inclined to accept the testimony of Thibodeau's trial lawyer, Joseph Fahey

2. Prosecutors contend all evidence that could've benefited Thibodeau was turned over before the trial. King wouldn't let Thibodeau's lawyer, Randi Bianco, cross-examine former prosecutor Donald Dodd on why he failed to list in a December 1994 letter to Thibodeau's lawyers the key documents about Allen's informant work that he claimed he'd turned over to the defense.

3. King appeared satisfied with Dodd's testimony that he'd turned over to the defense before the 1995 trial all reports about Allen being an informant.

4. The judge last week ruled that he won't allow Thibodeau's lawyers to get access to family court records that might show how Allen became a confidential informant.

5. King issued a written decision in April in which he called perhaps the most important piece of newly discovered evidence "wholly unreliable."

6. King wrote last week that a new witness, Bill Pierce, was unreliable.

7. The judge wouldn't allow Thibodeau's lawyers to call any witnesses to testify about Bohrer's criminal history.

Heidi Allen kidnapping witness ticked off over judge calling him unreliable - November 11th

A witness in the Heidi Allen kidnapping hearing took umbrage today at a judge calling him unreliable.

Bill Pierce - who in January testified he saw James Steen assault a woman and drag her into a van outside a store the same day Allen was kidnapped there 21 years ago - told Syracuse.com that he would never perjure himself for any reason.

Acting Oswego County Judge Daniel King, in a decision last week, called Pierce's testimony "speculative" and said his "prior identification testimony has proven to be unreliable."

"I was under oath -- why didn't he question what he didn't believe at the time?" Pierce asked. "The look on his face was, "Oh, well. This is another kind of witch hunt.'"

Still no decision in Heidi Allen kidnapping, 3 months after judge says it's coming soon

On Nov. 2, a judge said he would "soon issue" a decision on whether to overturn Gary Thibodeau's 1995 conviction in the kidnapping and presumed killing of Heidi Allen.

Nearly three months later, acting Oswego County Judge Daniel King still has not issued his ruling.

"I keep hearing, 'Maybe it's this week,' 'Maybe a couple more weeks,' and I keep waiting and waiting and waiting,'' said Thibodeau's brother, Richard. "Here it is the end of January, for crying out loud. What is his problem?"

The judge dropped hints during the hearing that he was inclined to deny Thibodeau's request.

Heidi Allen kidnapping: Judge rejects Thibodeau's request for new trial

A judge today shot down Gary Thibodeau's request to overturn his conviction in the 1994 kidnapping of Heidi Allen in Oswego County.

Acting Oswego County Judge Daniel King rejected a request from Thibodeau to reverse the 1995 jury verdict and grant him a new trial. Thibodeau's lawyers claimed new evidence implicated three other men, and that prosecutors withheld evidence from Thibodeau before his trial.

King, in a 64-page decision, said evidence implicating three new possible suspects to the crime was inadmissible. Much of that evidence was witnesses testifying that one or more of the three men had made admissions to them. The judge ruled that was hearsay.

At least 14 witnesses testified at a hearing last year that James Steen, Roger Breckenridge or Michael Bohrer made admissions to them about their involvement in the kidnapping or disposal of Allen's body.

"Despite the plethora of information by a multitude of sources who claimed to be close to these three suspects, none of their testimony can be corroborated or deemed credible," King wrote.

Oswego DA urges Thibodeau to 'acknowledge what he did' in wake of judge's ruling

An Oswego County prosecutor implored Gary Thibodeau today to come clean about his involvement in the 1994 kidnapping of Heidi Allen.

District Attorney Greg Oakes, in response to a judge's denial of Thibodeau's request for a new trial, called on him to confess.

"I hope that something speaks to Gary Thibodeau's heart and allows him to acknowledge what happened so that Heidi may be brought home," Oakes told Syracuse.com in a text message.

Heidi Allen's sister: Judge's ruling confirms the right man's in prison

The sister of 1994 kidnapping victim says a judge's decision this week confirms that Gary Thibodeau belongs in prison for the crime.

Buske said she wished her mother, Susan Allen, were alive to hear the news.

"My greatest sorrow in this recent announcement, while it confirms the right man is in jail, (is that) my Mom wasn't able to hear the news and have this peace when she took her last breath," the statement said.

Here are some interviews and stories following the rejection of a new trial.

Heidi Allen kidnapping: Thibodeau cites key witness's missing texts

Gary Thibodeau wants to see the text messages a key witness in the Heidi Allen kidnapping case exchanged with someone before she was interrogated by police.

Thibodeau, in a phone interview from state prison with Syracuse.com, cited the missing text messages from Jennifer Wescott's cell phone as one example of how he was not given a fair hearing last year in his attempt to overturn his conviction.

Thibodeau, in his first interview since a judge denied his request, called the hearing "a kangaroo proceeeding."

"He allowed everything the DA wanted and denied everything that we requested, especially the thing about the phone texts," he said from Clinton Correctional Facility.

The text messages might have held clues about how Allen's body was disposed of, Thibodeau said.

"But all that text was missing from the phone after Jennifer gave it to one of the detectives," Thibodeau said. "He left the room, came back and all the text was missing. And the judge don't see nothing wrong with that. I mean, who knows what that conversation was about?"

One witness testified that Wescott told her multiple times between 2000 and 2006 that she helped scrap the van used in Allen's abduction. The witness, Amanda Braley, said Wescott and two new possible suspects, James Steen and Roger Breckenridge, admitted they'd crushed the van at Murtaugh's scrapyard and transported it to Canada.

Thibodeau calls judge, prosecutors 'Satan's disciples' in Heidi Allen case

Gary Thibodeau says a judge who denied his request for a new trial in the 1994 kidnapping of Heidi Allen was likely hoping Thibodeau would die and the case would go away.

"That's not going to happen," Thibodeau said in his first interview since acting Oswego County Judge Daniel King rejected his request to overturn the conviction.

Thibodeau, in a phone interview with Syracuse.com, said he expects an appeals court to overturn King's decision.

Allen's sister, Lisa Buske, said she believes the right man's in prison. Thibodeau had a different reaction to her.

"In the beginning, because it just happened to me, I used to have a lot of negative thoughts towards the family," he said. "But now all I have basically is remorse and love for her sister. She's being told every day, every day, all the time (by police) that this is the way it is. She believes in the police. I can't hold nothing against her."

Oswego DA publicly files 1990 sealed record of kidnapping victim Heidi Allen's cousin

The Oswego County district attorney has publicly filed the 1990 criminal case of kidnapping victim Heidi Allen's cousin, even though the case was dismissed and sealed from public view 26 years ago.

District Attorney Greg Oakes last month publicly filed the sealed case of Missy Adams, Allen's cousin, whose charge of endangering the welfare of a child was dismissed in 1990.

Oakes filed the documents with the Oswego County Clerk's Office as part of his opposition to Gary Thibodeau's request for a new trial.

Adams surfaced last year as a possible witness for Thibodeau. She revealed that sometime after 2008 she'd received in her mailbox a bracelet that she'd given Allen before the 1994 kidnapping.

22 years ago - the search for Heidi Allen began on snowy April morning

http://www.localsyr.com/news/local-news/22-years-ago-the-search-for-heidi-allen-began-on-snowy-april-morning

Central New Yorkers woke up to a similarly snowy scene on this day 22 years ago. It was Easter Sunday that year.

Heidi Allen, an 18-year old clerk at a Convenience Store in New Haven, was working alone on April 3, 1994.

About two hours after Allen opened the store, a deputy nearby was alerted about a problem - It was just before 8 a.m. and the doors were open, lights were on, gas pumps were running - but the cashier couldn't be found.

As more Oswego County Sheriff's Deputies arrived, the search for Heidi Allen began. For her family, it never ended. She is still missing.

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index...kidnapping_of_heidi_allen.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Court agrees to hear Thibodeau's appeal in 1994 kidnapping of Heidi Allen

ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- A state appeals court has agreed to hear an appeal of Gary Thibodeau's request to overturn his conviction in the 1994 kidnapping of Heidi Allen in Oswego County.

Thibodeau's lawyer, Lisa Peebles, said she received notice today that the Appellate Division of state Supreme Court will hear an appeal of acting Oswego County Judge Daniel King's decision not to grant Thibodeau a new trial.

The appeals court could order a new trial, or make a finding of "actual innocence" and throw out the charges against Thibodeau. It could also uphold King's decision.

He never should have been convicted in the first place, apparently just being at the same place where someone goes missing is enough to have you arrested and charged nowadays. I'll have to be careful next time I got in a big city's hot spots, don't want to be sitting in jail for life for a crime I didn't do but just happened to be nearby when it happened. This is the most ridiculous conviction I think I've ever seen, especially since to this day we have no clue what happened to her.

He never should have been convicted in the first place, apparently just being at the same place where someone goes missing is enough to have you arrested and charged nowadays. I'll have to be careful next time I got in a big city's hot spots, don't want to be sitting in jail for life for a crime I didn't do but just happened to be nearby when it happened. This is the most ridiculous conviction I think I've ever seen, especially since to this day we have no clue what happened to her.

[video=youtube;NhEie743G30]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhEie743G30[/video]

In this video Tonya Preist speaks about the shocking treatment she received from the investigators on Heidi's case. Very telling about how the DA Greg Oakes changed his belief in Tonya so quickly. Since Gary is in ill health, I think the police and the District attorney are praying that Gary dies and this whole thing blows over. It won't. Gary is right, they are 'Satan's disciples'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingPersonsMatter
Back