Found Deceased NY - Jaylen Griffin, 12, Buffalo, 4 Aug 2020

I live in this neighborhood, just a couple blocks away. What's really sad is that house has police showing up pretty frequently. It's THAT house on the street. People in and out, rotating tenants. Domestic disputes and drama.

So the cops have been to that house so many times and he was just there, feet away.

Does saying that he was deceased in the home for a significant amount of time mean since he disappeared? Was the home occupied?

It is. Not an abandoned house and has never sat empty. Multiple family dwelling. It's one of those houses owned by an LLC, so tenants are constantly moving in and out.

NOT OFFICIAL INFORMATION but literal word on the street is that the landlord or someone doing work found the body.

Three months after Jaylen went missing, his 18-year-old brother, Jawaan Griffin, was fatally shot across the street from his house, police said.

Jawaan and Jaylen’s mother, Joann Ponzo, died in September at age 48, after an illness that acquaintances said was compounded by grief, according to local media.

An autopsy that could yield clues about Jaylen's death is expected to take months, acting Erie County District Attorney Michael Keane said.

I am so very sorry for his loved-ones. I don't understand what happened, am geolocked out of the articles. Does it sound like he was being held in this house and recently deceased, or has he been deceased since 2020 and hidden on the property?

I am so very sorry for his loved-ones. I don't understand what happened, am geolocked out of the articles. Does it sound like he was being held in this house and recently deceased, or has he been deceased since 2020 and hidden on the property?

"His body was found Friday in a house about 5 miles away (8 kilometers), in South Buffalo.

He had been dead “for a considerable amount of time,” Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia said at a news conference."

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — 107 Sheffield Avenue is where the body of 12-year-old Jaylen Griffin was found Friday after a nearly four-year search for him. Those who live in the South Buffalo neighborhood say the area is relatively quiet, but the house where Griffin was found is no stranger to law enforcement.
The homicide investigation into who killed Jaylen Griffin is underway.
Griffin had been last seen at a corner store near his Warren Avenue home on Aug. 4, 2020, and was officially reported missing two days later.
The search for Griffin came to a tragic end after he was found dead inside 107 Sheffield Avenue.
According to police dispatch transcripts from Friday, Griffin’s body was discovered in the attic of the multi-unit house by a maintenance man.
According to Buffalo Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia, the medical examiner confirmed Monday the body was indeed that of Griffin through dental records.

Tuesday afternoon crime scene investigators hauled black bags with white tags out of the Sheffield Ahouse venue home where Griffin was found dead days earlier.
Property records revealed that the house was last sold in 2011 to Sunrise West LLC.
The company is registered to a Hamburg post office box.
Neighbors, who would not go on camera for an interview, were stunned to learn of the tragedy, telling News 4 they never saw or smelled anything. They say people they’re not familiar with are consistently moving in and out of the house, adding that they’ve seen police at the house many times in the past.Pastor Tim Newkirk of GYC ministries, who is close to the Griffin family, told News 4 that his search team canvassed the South Buffalo neighborhood where Griffin was found last year.
“The search for ‘Where’s Jaylen Griffin?’ has come to a close. But now the search is ‘What happened to Jaylen Griffin?’ Who would do something like this to a 12-year-old boy?” Newkirk said.
While the discovery of Jaylen’s body is a tragic sliver of relief for his father, many questions surrounding the circumstances of the young boy’s death remain.“How did he end up here? Was he moved? The questions are still remaining,” Newkirk said. “How long was he dead? How long was he deceased? Was he found in something that was locked and had to be opened? And did a certain aroma come out that would be a major complaint to this community? This looks like the type of community where if anything is taking place somebody will report it, or say something.”After the crime scene photographers and police officers left the Sheffield Avenue house Tuesday afternoon, a neighborhood woman left flowers and balloons in front of the home in memory of Griffin.
Griffin’s mother, Joann Ponzo, sadly died in September, and will never know that her son had been found. In addition, shortly after Griffin went missing, his brother was shot and killed.
Crime Stoppers of WNY is offering a $7,500 reward for information leading to the arrest of Jaylen Griffin’s killer.
A candlelight vigil for Jaylen Griffin will be held on Monday at 6 p.m. off Paderewski Drive at Memorial Circle in Buffalo. It’s what would have marked Griffin’s 16th birthday.

x

Questions remain after the body of Jaylen Griffin was found Monday

‘Who would do that to a child?’: Family of Jaylen Griffin speaks out after body of missing child is found​

Jaylen Griffin’s aunt and grandmother spoke to 2 On Your Side about the news they received Monday.
Author: Andy Paden
Published: 11:17 PM EDT April 16, 2024
Updated: 6:13 AM EDT April 17, 2024
BUFFALO, N.Y. — Shirley Banks and Angela Anderson have spent the last three and a half years praying.
But no amount of prayer could prepare them for the news they received Monday.
The body of Anderson’s nephew and Banks’ grandson Jaylen Griffin was found on Friday in an attic of a home on Sheffield Avenue in South Buffalo nearly four years after he went missing at the age of 12. He went to the grocery store and never returned home.

“I ask the Lord to give me strength. That’s how I process it,” Banks said. “I held that up until yesterday when they told me they had found him and he was deceased.”
Authorities have ruled Griffin’s death a homicide and they believe that his body had been in the house for quite some time but did not give any detail as to how long.
“I was mad. I got mad because it was like, who would do that to a child?” Anderson said. “So many questions, so many details, but not enough detail.”
Acting Erie County DA Michael Keane said the medical examiner will conduct an additional autopsy but that could take months.
In the meantime, Griffin’s loved ones are left without answers as to why the young boy, who loved football and would have turned 16 this coming Monday, never made it home.
As they have for the last four years, Griffin’s family will continue to pray in the coming months. But this time, it’ll be for justice.
“It’s not over until we find out everything,” Banks said. “He, she, we, they, whoever, they need to answer. They need to take responsibility for what they’ve done.”
The family will have a memorial service for Jaylen on his birthday Monday at 6 p.m. in front of the Central Terminal near the traffic circle.
Related Video:

Related Articles​

Registered sex offender lived at the house during the time he went missing until 2023. Sexual Abuse 1st Degree:Contact By Forcible Compulsion, Knife/cutting instrument, Immediately and physically overpowered. His current address with the registry is the county jail. Booking date is 3/20/2024. (Habitual parole violater.)

Google maps archive shows the attic windows cracked open and left that way since at least October of 2020. Last archived year before that is 2014.

Last edited:
But while father Brian Griffin has received a sense of relief since his son was found, mother Joann Ponzo will never know as she passed away due to illness and a 'broken heart' in September 2023.

It wasn't only Jaylen's mystery that gave Joann grief as his brother, Jawaan had also been shot and killed in front of the family's home in November 2020.

After Jaylen's body was found, neighbors have revealed that they had seen people moving in and out of the house and police had responded to the home 'many times' over the years

Pastor Tim Newkirk of GYC ministries told WIVB: 'How did he end up here? Was he moved? The questions are still remaining.

'How long was he dead? How long was he deceased? Was he found in something that was locked and had to be opened? And did a certain aroma come out that would be a major complaint to this community?

'This looks like the type of community where if anything is taking place somebody will report it, or say something.'

Some information regarding the residence Jaylen was found in; it seems to be a four-unit house.

Allegedly Spectrum’s Supportive Housing program (intended to provide housing for high-need, high-risk adults with co-occurring mental illness and substance abuse issues) is involved with this property.

One of the neighbours has a current lawsuit against them for negligence in vetting tenants. A tenant apparently started a fire in the house and then threw items that were on fire out of the window causing the fire to spread to a neighbouring property, resulting in >100k in damages.

Another neighbour mentioned one of the tenants chased her and her son down the street with a bat.

The wording is a bit unclear but it seems there may have been multiple sex offenders living on the premises and one of them, as of one month ago, is facing new sex charges.

RIP Jaylen. And RIP to his mother and brother, too.

Would the remains not be (nearly) skeletal after almost 4 years? They were able to very quickly identify that it was Jaylen, and per the 911 transcript the maintenance worker who found him stated there was no smell present.

ETA I’m now reading he was ID’ed by dentals

Last edited:
"But while father Brian Griffin has received a sense of relief since his son was found, mother Joann Ponzo will never know as she passed away due to illness and a 'broken heart' in September 2023."

I will always believe that his Mom knew as soon as she died, what had happened to Jaylen and that they were immediately reunited in Heaven.

Here is the house:

I saw that it’s contracted as a sort of halfway house I’m fearing he was taken there at the time of disappearance and somehow the odor was concealed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunshine2u49
Back