NY NY - Jennifer Landry, 19, New York City, 31 July 2002

Jen was one of my best friends from elementary school through high school. She lived down the street from me my entire childhood and young adulthood. We drifted after high school graduation and I never got to say my last goodbyes to here. I can't believe it has been almost 10 years since her body was found. Jen was no angel all the time but she didn't deserve what was done to her. I am determined to find the scum that did this to her. If anyone has any information, please email me. The reason it took 3 years to identify her is because we grew up in Randolph, Massachusetts. No one thought to look for her in Maryland. <modsnip>

Jen was one of my best friends from elementary school through high school. She lived down the street from me my entire childhood and young adulthood. We drifted after high school graduation and I never got to say my last goodbyes to here. I can't believe it has been almost 10 years since her body was found. Jen was no angel all the time but she didn't deserve what was done to her. I am determined to find the scum that did this to her. If anyone has any information, please email me. The reason it took 3 years to identify her is because we grew up in Randolph, Massachusetts. No one thought to look for her in Maryland. <modsnip>

af83-So sorry about loss of your childhood bf & not knowing what happened to her until you found out. My thoughts are with you. Hope they'll solve the case. Killers always dump the victims farther away from their home state.

BTW, I happened to attend Boston School for the Deaf on Main St in Randolph until it closed and now, it's residence for Autism people.

I can't find anything about a homicide investigation. It seems like once Jen was identified, the matter was considered solved and forgotten.

A couple of tidbits:

Unidentified Bodies Fill States’ ‘Cold Case’ Files — It’s ‘Murder Unpunished,’ Says Mom of Long Missing Daughter
October 11, 2005
By Thomas Hargrove Scripps Howard News Service / Mark Watson contributed

Jennifer Landry – Volunteer detective Tracie Fleischhut in June began entering information about New York City resident Jennifer Landry, 19, onto her missing-persons Web site when she noticed that a description of one of Landry’s tattoos sounded familiar. The teenager had been missing since 2002. Fleischhut linked the case to a Jane Doe reported Aug. 15, 2002, by Mount Rainer, Md., police. Police later confirmed the match through fingerprints.
(continued at the link with info on other cold cases)

Jen was originally from Randolph, MA, and was seen in New York City on July 31, 2002, according to the Doe Network. On her thread in the UID forum, a relative says she was spotted at a truck stop in Jessup, MD, a day before her body was found 20-25 miles away in Mount Ranier, on Aug 15, 2002. So was she hitchhiking? Did she catch a ride with a trucker?
The victim was located on August 15, 2002 in Mount Ranier, Maryland. She was identified as Jennifer Landry, age 19, in June 2005. Landry was last seen in New York City on July 31, 2002.
http://doenetwork.org/cases/identified4.html

http://www.doenetwork.org/media/news140.html

Bumping case up. Jen's murder is 12 years old now and still unsolved.

Jennifer Landry was murdered and her body dumped in Mount Rainier, MD in 2002. Although she was finally identified, her murder remains unsolved.

Bumping this case up. Although Jen was finally identified, her murderer has not, and he needs to be brought to justice.

Odd that this one is titled "New York City". She was from Massachucetts and was murdered and found in Maryland.

1. upload_2019-8-6_18-32-33.jpeg
Jennifer Landry, age 19 was murdered in Maryland on 31 July 2002. Her body was dumped in Mount Rainier, MD and remained unidentified for three years.

Although she has since been identified and her family notified, her murder remains unsolved.

Jennifer Landry passed away on 08/15/2002 and was 19 at the time. Previously, Jennifer Landry had lived in Randolph, MA. Her murder in Mount Rainier, Maryland remains unsolved.

Man convicted in 2002 Fairfax Co. murder linked to unsolved deaths in Va., Md. | WTOP News

A man serving life in prison for a 2002 murder after strangling a single mother in Fairfax County, Virginia, has been linked to two other unsolved killings in the region.

In a joint news conference with the Fairfax and Prince George’s police departments on Wednesday, officials announced that Charles Helem verbally confessed to also having killed 19-year-old Jennifer Landry in August 2002.

According to officials, Landry was picked up in D.C., and was later killed in Mount Rainier in Prince George’s County.

According to Prince George’s County Police Chief Malik Aziz, Helem sent letters to law enforcement in 2010 and 2017 indicating his involvement in Landry’s death, but refused to speak with detectives. He agreed to be interviewed in October 2021, and Aziz said that is when he verbally confessed to killing her. The Prince George’s County cold case unit obtained an arrest warrant against him in Landry’s death.

During that same interview, Helem gave details about the cold case of 37-year-old Eige Sober-Adler, of Kensington, Maryland, who was killed in 1987 in Herndon, Virginia. Detectives said the details Helem shared would have only been known to her killer.

A cold case file for Sober-Adler says she was found dead in a field behind a Days Inn on Centerville Road, and that her vehicle was found on the Dulles Toll Road.

Helem was indicted for murder by a Fairfax County grand jury this week for the death of Sober-Adler.

Officials also said Helem told detectives he had been a truck driver, and so the FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit have been asked to check cold cases around the country to see if there are any links to Helem.

Helem is currently serving life in prison at the Red Onion State Prison — the supermax state prison in Wise County, Virginia — for the death of Patricia Bentley, a 37-year-old single mother from Chantilly, Virginia. Prosecutors said he strangled Bentley with a phone cord and his hands.

During sentencing in 2003, Fairfax County prosecutors said Helem had previously served four years in federal prison for choking his wife. She survived the attack.

Man convicted in 2002 Fairfax Co. murder linked to unsolved deaths in Va., Md. | WTOP News

A man serving life in prison for a 2002 murder after strangling a single mother in Fairfax County, Virginia, has been linked to two other unsolved killings in the region.

In a joint news conference with the Fairfax and Prince George’s police departments on Wednesday, officials announced that Charles Helem verbally confessed to also having killed 19-year-old Jennifer Landry in August 2002.

According to officials, Landry was picked up in D.C., and was later killed in Mount Rainier in Prince George’s County.

According to Prince George’s County Police Chief Malik Aziz, Helem sent letters to law enforcement in 2010 and 2017 indicating his involvement in Landry’s death, but refused to speak with detectives. He agreed to be interviewed in October 2021, and Aziz said that is when he verbally confessed to killing her. The Prince George’s County cold case unit obtained an arrest warrant against him in Landry’s death.

During that same interview, Helem gave details about the cold case of 37-year-old Eige Sober-Adler, of Kensington, Maryland, who was killed in 1987 in Herndon, Virginia. Detectives said the details Helem shared would have only been known to her killer.

A cold case file for Sober-Adler says she was found dead in a field behind a Days Inn on Centerville Road, and that her vehicle was found on the Dulles Toll Road.

Helem was indicted for murder by a Fairfax County grand jury this week for the death of Sober-Adler.

Officials also said Helem told detectives he had been a truck driver, and so the FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit have been asked to check cold cases around the country to see if there are any links to Helem.

Helem is currently serving life in prison at the Red Onion State Prison — the supermax state prison in Wise County, Virginia — for the death of Patricia Bentley, a 37-year-old single mother from Chantilly, Virginia. Prosecutors said he strangled Bentley with a phone cord and his hands.

During sentencing in 2003, Fairfax County prosecutors said Helem had previously served four years in federal prison for choking his wife. She survived the attack.
Great news that there are some answers. I'm curious what made him agree to talk now. Maybe they agreed to move him out of solitary?

Good to see a possible solving of Jen's murder after 20 years. Were there also others?

20 years ago, in July 2002, the murdered body of a young woman was found in Mount Ranier, Maryland, which is just east of Washington DC.

I started this thread in October 2004, in the "unidentified" section of Websleuths. And a year later. She was identified as Jenifer Landry, age 19.

It now has been revealed that she was the victim of a serial killer, Charles Helem who has been incarcerated in a Virginia prison since 2002 serving a life sentence for murdering another woman.

The news today is that Helem intends to plead guilty to the murder of Jenifer.

It is believed that he has also murdered a third woman as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back