GUILTY NY - Katie Socci, 29, Auburn, 14 June 2011

Don't they say that in the majority of murder cases, the Victim and the Perp know one another somehow? Like they went to school with them, lived across the street from them etc?

Socci was a nurse in the surgical intensive care unit at Upstate University Hospital.

On Monday night she told her next door neighbor, Linda Diel, that she was afraid of her former boyfriend. “She said I’m a little afraid. He took my cell phone,” Diel said Socci told her.

As they traded cell phone numbers for Socci’s new phone, Socci said “if you ever see anything, or see him around, I want you to call. I said I will,” Diel said.

Lots more info on about her ex-boyfriend (father of her baby):

http://www.syracuse.com/

Great coverage gang - keep it up. It's amazing they resolved this case even before it was a fully developed case. Perhaps LE had enough background info on the POI to warrant moving quickly in the right direction.

Katie and her daughter

Attachments

• katie & sydney.jpg
    katie & sydney.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 72
This is the POI

Attachments

• sydney& dad.jpg
    sydney& dad.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 88
One of her friends says she worked at Upstate Medical in Syracuse with Katie...I had a few surgeries there :( I gew up about an hour away from Auburn/Syracuse area. I am so sorry for Katie's family and friends, and her child...

One of her friends says she worked at Upstate Medical in Syracuse with Katie...I had a few surgeries there :( I gew up about an hour away from Auburn/Syracuse area. I am so sorry for Katie's family and friends, and her child...

Makes me LOVE nosey neighbors even more. I am so glad her neighbor called so soon.

Its just hard to imagine how someone could kill their child's parent....
Hope we get more info tomorrow! Blessings on this family. I know they are heartbroken.

Its just hard to imagine how someone could kill their child's parent....
Hope we get more info tomorrow! Blessings on this family. I know they are heartbroken.

I agree. I was just thinking today, why can't these people LOVE their children more than they HATE their spouse/partner etc.

If he is in fact guilty, then what sick individual to cause a baby to be alone by itself in the house like that, and to kill its mother, especially when it's his own kid. Epic facepalm.

This is why the neighbor was alert and called police - because Katie had told her that she feared him, and that she was getting a protective order out against him. Makes sense now - I couldn't figure out why a neighbor would call police based on dog in the backyard, and why police would decide to go inside a house based solely on that. It's because they already knew to be wary for her.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/auburn_police_name_missing_wom.html

Auburn, NY—Police this morning identified David F. McNamara, the ex-boyfriend of an Auburn woman whose body they believe was found dead Wednesday afternoon in a shallow grave, as a person of interest in the case.

McNamara, 34, was taken into custody Wednesday for a violation of probation, Lt. Shawn Butler said this morning. He is currently in the Cayuga County Jail awaiting arraignment on violating probation by entering a bar, he said.
McNamara is expected to be arraigned Monday, Butler said.

In January, McNamara pleaded guilty to forgery and a month later was sentenced to three years probation, according to Auburn City Court records.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/auburn_police_name_missing_wom.html

This is why the neighbor was alert and called police - because Katie had told her that she feared him, and that she was getting a protective order out against him. Makes sense now - I couldn't figure out why a neighbor would call police based on dog in the backyard, and why police would decide to go inside a house based solely on that. It's because they already knew to be wary for her.

Yes, thank you so much neighbor. While alerting authorities did not (probably couldn't have) saved Katie, it very much may have saved her baby girl.

The body of Socci, 29, of Auburn, was found buried Wednesday after authorities discovered her toddler daughter alone at her residence the night before.

The Facebook page is called Missing Mother found....RIP Katie Socci, always in our <3s.... " You will need to sign in as a Facebook user to access the page.
It is the biggest of at least three Facebook pages set up to honor Socci.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/facebook_memorial_for_auburn_w.html

If he is in fact guilty, then what sick individual to cause a baby to be alone by itself in the house like that, and to kill its mother, especially when it's his own kid. Epic facepalm.

Really... He left his own child alone in the house. I imagine that he was going to to go over there in the am and 'pretend' to find the child...

Good grief. What on earth are people thinking?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back