NY - Ki-Suck Han, 58, pushed in front of train, Queens, 3 Dec 2012

Althugh I shouldn't be giving this guy another breath I was interested to see what kind of photos he took.

http://jpgmag.com/people/UmarAbbasi

All kinds of photos, but one is eerily defying mortality.

It is odd they said there was a bottle of liquor. Asians don't have enzymes that process the booze well. So according to my drug/alcohol counselor friend. How did it not break?

I meant break due to the train crash, not the ancestry. Trains tend to break things when they smash into them.

Plenty (most?) Asian populations do just fine with alcohol. American Indians not so much. Japan is an example, heavy drinkers, heavy smokers, doing just fine.

Saki anyone?

I know I wouldn't have gotten involved in the fight.

Having said that if I saw some poor lightweight Asian guy scrambling to climb out of the track with a frantic terrified look on his face even I am pretty sure I would have done something (done something as gone over to help him and more importantly yelled at a couple of men to "get over here and help pull him up").

I couldn't pull 150-160 lbs of weight up that high but for a couple of average sized males it would be easy.

Not sure how fast all this happened but if photogs were able to take out the camera and snap pics while this poor guy was trying to climb up I am pretty sure it didn't happen all that fast.

I think it's deplorable that the guy actually sold the pic to the Post. I saw the front page in question and it's a horrible picture and a more disgusting headline. That being said though...

Having lived in NYC and riding subways for a good portion of my life, I can tell you that from looking at the picture, there wasn't a whole lot that could of been done for him at that point in time. Those trains come in very fast in stations and he probably was only 1-2 seconds away from getting hit when the shot was taken. The photographer made it sound there were people closer to the man when he was pushed and they would of had the best shot of doing anything but they would of needed to react very quickly in order to save him and given that NY'ers first instinct is to not get involved, especially if the guy who pushed him is still right there, it's not surprising that it would turn out like that.

There was an article done on this very topic (getting pushed on tracks when a train is coming) some time ago and the best advice was to run from the train, not try to climb the platform or lay flat as the conductor has a better chance of seeing you and hitting brakes. May not save you but gives you the best chance.

With as many people that ride the subway in a given day, it's actually somewhat amazing that it doesn't happen more often.

Witness recalls horror of seeing dad pushed onto subway tracks

Prosecutor Heather Buchanan conceded in openings that Han “was drunk, he was belligerent, he was staggering,” and he even threatened to kill Davis, who asked him repeatedly to stop following him.

But she argued that Han’s obnoxious behavior didn’t justify Davis’ deadly reaction to the inebriated stranger.

Defense lawyer Stephen Pokart insisted that Davis had acted in self-defense.

This is the fight that led to fatal subway push

Prosecutors played the 5-second clip of defendant Naeem Davis, 34, shouting at an inebriated Ki Suck Han to “leave me the f–k alone, take your motherf–king a– over there and stand in line.”

When Catherine Li — who at the time worked for Chinese newspaper Singtao — looked up again, she saw Han on the track with a Q train pulling into the 49th Street station.

The second witness Wednesday was another reporter, Leigh Weingus, who worked for the Huffington Post at the time. She said the fight between the two men was “volatile” and drew her attention.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/05/homeless-man-charged-in-subway-death-will-testify-at-murder-trial/

Davis, a drifter who argued with Han moments before his fatal fall, is expected to testify ​Thursday ​that he didn’t intend for the 58-year-old dad, who was inebriated at the time, to fall into the tracks.

On Wednesday, ​Manhattan ​prosecutors rested their case after calling an NYPD officer who identified Davis as the man cops arrested based on a video obtained by the Metropolitan Transit Authority showing the moments before Han’s fatal plunge.

Man Who Pushed Passenger to His Death on Subway Tracks Is Acquitted

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/nyregion/naeem-davis-subway-death-ki-suck-han.html

On Monday, after a three-week trial, testimony from more than 30 witnesses and four days of deliberation, a Manhattan jury found Mr. Davis not guilty of all charges.

“Mr. Davis, you are free to go,” Justice Mark Dwyer said after the jury of seven women and five men rendered the verdict in State Supreme Court in Manhattan.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back