GUILTY NY - Laura Cummings, 23, disabled, tortured & killed, North Collins, 21 Jan 2010

How could anybody sleep after knowing they were in the house & everything seemed "normal" - yet Laura's there, shackled to a chair w/ a blanket thrown over her????

Please, Lord -- let something good come from this.....Let someone feel they need to be a little bit nosier to save the next Laura from her house of horrors.

It is going to take me a while to figure out the good here. I am having a hard time with the statements from LE indicating that too many people knew what was going on and didnt want to get involved.

Lets be clear-there is evidence that many people notified the correct agencies during the last 15 years and nothing happened from that point....bio mom has a history of beating and torturing children....to the point of broken bones, but still she was allowed to "keep" the most vulnerable child she had.

Connect the dots folks....the agencies failed miserably. this woman and her children were so sure that nothing would be done they tortured Laura to death and then called to let someone know. "OOps-we went a little far could you come clean it up please???"

Cause nothing had been done to date.

Oh My Land. Congress-are you listening? This happened in the USA.

:banghead: Attorneys argue that the public scorn is unfair to his client, well I got news for him..abusing Laura in ways the mind can not even venture to go-now that my friend is a true example of unfair. I am horrified and so angry with the system.

I understand that they can be overworked and short staffed due to budget restraints but Adult Services/Child Protective Services had years of chances to get it right. The system failed Laura each and every time. The only hope left is for a serious system change and justice for Laura.

I pray we get both!

IMHO there is not ENOUGH scorn against his clients! People should be up in arms, shouting from the rooftops about this!

As for those who knew and did NOTHING, I wish you would be prosecuted along with the so called "family" members who killed her!!

This case makes me angrier and angrier, the more that comes out!! Horrid!

I am still trying to process how for years she continued to be abused and the system failed her. I don't know that there is an answer that would be politically correct. That being said, I can not be careful in my wording. The Child Protective Services and Adult Protective Services failed the thing they had in common. Protection.

When are agencies going to be held responsiable? The "providers" assigned to Laura's case didn't provide her with any comfort or security. Actually they did not apparently "provide" her with anything. The workers that had her case, they were most likely "provided" a paycheck.

IMOO

I am still trying to process how for years she continued to be abused and the system failed her. I don't know that there is an answer that would be politically correct. That being said, I can not be careful in my wording. The Child Protective Services and Adult Protective Services failed the thing they had in common. Protection.

When are agencies going to be held responsiable? The "providers" assigned to Laura's case didn't provide her with any comfort or security. Actually they did not apparently "provide" her with anything. The workers that had her case, they were most likely "provided" a paycheck.

IMOO

In PA, 4 social workers were finally found liable for a case where a child with Cerebral Palsy was starved to death by her family....they were found guilty and will be sentenced in the spring to real jail time....the premise for sentencing was fraud charges. This child had been brought to the attention of social agencies multiple times and was repeatedly failed.

Sound familiar.

If any of the legal eagles from this case are watching this thread, please consider a similar prosecution. Precedent has been set.

Fry the old bag and her stupid son!

Just dreaming here, but I wish that if a child receives a disability check, the parent should be required to bring that child in to cash the check. If the child is bedridden, then a person from the bank should go out and verify that the child is being taken care of before cashing the check. Losers like this aren't afraid of child/adult protective services because they obviously don't do anything to deter abuse. However, mess with a losers money, they will straighten up immediately!

This case just leaves me speechless...the horror of it all, and that poor, poor girl. WTH is wrong with all the people who knew this was going on, and did nothing? They're all a bunch of sick ....

After reading about poor Laura, I have to wonder if she was born mentally disabled or if she became mentally disabled via other abusive tactics of the horrid who gave birth to her.

A murder in their midst
Stunned North Collins residents attempt to grasp tragedy of Laura Cummings' death
By Jay Tokasz
News Staff Reporter

Published: March 21, 2010, 6:53 am

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/03/21/994395/a-murder-in-their-midst.html

I feel that the community, her loved ones and even all those who failed her have a lot to deal with due to the fact there are so many questions and so few answers. How did this happen in this small close knit community? And most of all why did I go on so long without proper intervention?

So incrediably sad.

I know there are probably good CPS/APS workers out there, but I have honestly never actually heard of one. It is just one monumental failure after another in state after state. This is wrong on so many levels, in so many ways. When someone's own family member tells you over and over that a sibling is being severely abused, chances are THEY ARE BEING ABUSED. What does it take to get through to these agencies? What does it take to make them actually care?

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/stor...=BHHoT7yYu7yQi4xllumsDFE58ntPxcEbtmD/PtekiKc=

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=77076&catid=37
Link to additional information on investagation that is included in above article.

Erie County's Failure To Protect Laura Cummings Prompts Promises OF Change From Lawmakers

Article includes a more recent photograph of Laura Cummings.

Snip>
BUFFALO, NY - Lawmakers in Western New York say they were "shocked" and "horrified" by the findings of a 2 On Your Side investigation that detailed the Erie County's Social Services Department's failure to protect a mentally challenged woman who was murdered.

Laura Cummings of North Collins was killed in January, her mother and brother have been charged in her death.

2 On Your Side reported that in the last seven months of her life, the county's Child and Adult Protective Services Divisions were called six different times to look into charges that Laura was being horribly abused by family members.

The county investigated each of those calls, but said they were unfounded.

The last call of suspected abuse came just six weeks before Laura was killed.

Erie County legislator Tom Mazur watched our story Wednesday night.

Sick twisted monsters, the both of them.

RIP Laura.

I have to agree with the poster above who wondered whether her disabilities were born with her or developed at home through years of torture and abuse from these subhumans.

My only comfort is that finally, blessedly, she is at rest.

The Dept of SS is not working. It cannot be the fail safe-because one life is too many.

We have to figure out a different way of doing this...mandatory physicals at an ER for children under the age of X, or anyone exhibiting obvious injury regardless of how the injury was "received" according to a caregiver.

Let's make it easy for the states: Step 1, denying access to the home is a red flag requiring a warrant the same day. Step 2, Obvious signs of injury is a red flag requiring a visit to the ER same day. Step 3, all calls regarding children under the age of 10 cannot be cleared until the child has been examined by a physician outside the hearing and view of the care giver...

I mean...something has to change. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

You know what makes me angrier than what was done to Laura? The empty lip service about changes after. I want to see people up on charges. I want APS to take some GD responsibility here. I'm tired of hearing how privacy laws prevent them from disclosing how they screwed up. I'm tired of hearing how there may be some disciplinary action, when we know damn well there won't be. I'm sick to death of the whole screwed up, worthless system that allows children and vulnerable adults to be killed because of the lack of anyone doing their jobs. Sorry, rant over.

Article: http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=77549&catid=13

Video : http://www.wgrz.com/video/default.aspx?aid=62680

Snip>
BUFFALO, NY - Erie County Social Services Commissioner Carol Dankert canceled her Thursday appearance before the legislative committee looking into the death of Laura Cummings.

Dankert was called to a meeting in Geneva, New York, but the county said she will not discuss Cummings death in a public legislative hearing due to privacy laws. Anyone surprised? I know that I'm not! :furious:

Another story here:

Woman murdered in "house of horrors"
Prosecutors: Cummings was abused her whole life
Updated: Tuesday, 25 May 2010, 6:12 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 25 May 2010, 8:38 AM EDT

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/crime/Woman-murdered-in-house-of-horrors
Above Video shows footage inside the home where Laura died.

The only good I can see is that at least Laura's suffering is at an end. I feel so sad knowing what her existence was. So many sick people under the guise of "loved one" who do such heinious things to one another. Tragic.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=88983&catid=37

snip:

BUFFALO, NY - How was it that Erie County Social Services workers did not remove a mentally-handicapped woman from her family's home despite six different calls to the county that she was being abused?

That's the question New York State's Assembly Committee on Children and Families is trying to answer on this morning in Buffalo as it holds a hearing into the circumstances surrounding the death of Laura Cummings last January.

North Collins Town Judge John Stevens, and Laura's brother Richard, who is in the Air Force and lives out of state, called the county's Adult Protective Services division six different times last year with allegations that Laura was being abused.

At Friday's hearing, Terry Connors gave a statement on behalf of Richard saying, "he relied on the county to protect his sister and they repeatedly failed her. After Laura's death he met with members of Adult Protective Services to ask why they let his sister die." He did not get an answer.

Note: There is a video on the left of the article.

RIP Laura :rose:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/police-courts/courts/article214567.ece

Snip:

Updated: October 9, 2010, 0:27 AM

Eva M. Cummings will plead guilty to suffocating her mentally disabled daughter Laura, her lawyer confirmed this afternoon.

Cummings, 52, is "just ready to take responsibility" for intentionally ending the life of her 23-year-old daughter on Jan. 21 in the family's Sherman Avenue apartment in North Collins, attorney Joseph J. Terranova said.

The attorney said his jailed client, who is "below normal" intellectually, is prepared to plead guilty to second-degree murder, first-degree assault, unlawful imprisonment and a misdemeanor count of endangering the welfare of a mentally disabled person.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rest in Peace Laura

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500