louis_hernando_reyes_1.jpg

louis_hernando_reyes_2.jpg

• Missing Since11/10/1989
  • Missing FromNew York
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth01/19/1966 (53)
  • Age23 years old
  • Height and Weight5'6, 152 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionBlue jeans and a blue or gray sweatshirt.
  • Medical ConditionsReyes is mentally disabled and cannot care for himself.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsHispanic male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Reyes's upper front tooth is capped and discolored. He has a bump on his right eyebrow and a triangular scar approximately half an inch tall on the back of his left shoulder.
Details of Disappearance
Reyes was last seen at the Harlem Valley Psychiatric Center in Dover, New York at approximately 7:00 p.m. on November 10, 1989. He was being treated at that facility on a voluntary basis for his mental disability.

When a staff member went to his room to get him for dinner, he was gone. The last time anyone had seen him was two hours earlier.

Reyes had a tendency to wander throughout the facility, and sometimes left the grounds altogether. Ten days before he went missing, he'd been found wandering disoriented in a nearby parking lot, wearing two other patients' clothes. It's worth noting that the Harlem Valley Psychiatric Center was close to a train station and about an hour's walk from the Connecticut border.

Little information is available as to Reyes's fate. The Harlem Valley Psychiatric Center closed in 1994.
Investigating Agency
  • New York State Police 845-877-3660
Louis Hernando Reyes – The Charley Project (Charley Project)

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) (NAMUS)

The Doe Network: Case File 366DMNY (The Doe Network)

Cold case: Dover Plains man went missing from psych center 27 years ago (news article)

As I was just a child at the time, I'm not sure how much video surveillance - if any - would have been available either on the grounds of the facility or throughout the streets?

It's suggested that Louis was near the train station, but I'm wondering, would he have had money for a ticket?

More likely, IMO, is that he might have hitchhiked...I Googled Dover, NY and found that there are two state roads running through town, Rt 22 and Rte 323. The first runs through NY and CT, and the second is north-south, to the Canadian border.

Hello and thank you for your post. We the family have had no information for 31 years on Louis Reyes disappearance and the case is still open. We suspect since Louis had no money, nor his glasses, dressed in appropriately for winter time, and not a clue where he was, that foul play took place in his disappearance within surrounding Harlem Valley Psychiatric Center. Someone knows something and needs to come forward after all these years. Thanks.

Welcome, Josephdreyes! My apologies for the agony you all must feel over Louis' disappearance. I pray you all can find him and bring him home. Thanks for posting.

I have the impression that this young man either had a strong fight and was murdered or succumbed to the elements... it is always sad when a person with a disability disappears just like that... it reminds me in part of the case of Selena Edon Nothing more than that she managed to say goodbye to her mother before leaving... perhaps her case did not receive as much attention because he was Latino...
either way
rest in peace

John Doe #UP8114 was flashing people and ran away from police and got hit by a train.

Sometimes folks who are mentally challenged do this. My friend's extremely challenged brother would flash me every time I was over. And Louis Hernando Reyes was mentally disabled. I have submitted this for review.

June 19, 2017

<<Accessories: White rosary beads with cross.>>
(Not sure if this was mentioned here or not)

John Doe #UP8114 was flashing people and ran away from police and got hit by a train.

Sometimes folks who are mentally challenged do this. My friend's extremely challenged brother would flash me every time I was over. And Louis Hernando Reyes was mentally disabled. I have submitted this for review.
This is interesting. Did they ever get back to you?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLEUTHER TRAE PGH
Back