GUILTY NY - Marchella Pierce, 4, disabled, starved to death, Brooklyn, 2 Sept 2010

i don't believe this child was murdured. but what else was going on?

"Her kids..." The father of a child that just died (suddenly to him, if we are to believe him) refers to his dead daughter as one of "her kids". Methinks that from that statement alone, there is good reason to believe that since the separation, Mr. Pierce had not had much contact with the children.

SO, if the starvation was recent, then he might not have seen anything amiss. Not that I'm defending him, because IMO, he should have been there.

The way I read one of the articles, for some reason I got the impression that there was the possibility that she had been tied to the bed when she died and then moved onto the mother's bed, where she was found. If the grandmother doesn't live there, they may have reason to believe that she moved Marchella's body. If she does live there and isn't blind, she should just be hung with the rest of them.

Lastly, I have always hated the way that child welfare is not one centralized database or even a singular agency. When a case through CPS or (insert appropriate acronym here), is substantiated and a file opened, the case often doesn't stay with one worker. There is typically the worker that makes first contact with the family. In many cases, they are forced to make a snap judgment at that point in time, based on outward appearance alone, if there is a threat to the children in the home. If they decide to open a case, they may keep the case, or it may be transferred to another worker. The agency themselves may keep oversight of the case, but transfer the responsibility for face to face contact to another agency, here these are agencies like Catholic Charities and Families First. The new agency is responsible for meeting with the families on a regular basis, helping them obtain the resources they need to be good parents, and working as a go between for the main state run child welfare agency.

If you consider the turn around rate of social workers, that can add up to a lot of people that have the opportunity to drop the ball, as happened in this case. No face to face contact for two months is ridiculous. As we all know way too well, a child can die in two seconds, and obviously the same can happen in two months.

The hospital, her pediatrician, the grandmother, father, incubator, state child welfare and the support agency ALL failed this child. How?

TY charok and joes-you voiced what I had been thinking...how was she capable of running around and playing with her siblings much less so mobile she had to be restrained with twine..

Anyone want to guess she was having seizures, perhaps from dehydration or injury?

The child could of ran around playing - I have worked with many high risk pedi patients. Just because there is a trach doesn't mean she couldn't move? It didn't say she was a quad anywhere that I read?

The first article states that the mother of Carlotta Pierce was in the home and was also questioned by police. I wonder if she lived with them as well. As the grandmother of a four year old I believe I would have enough common sense to know that this child was starving to death. Also, the father said that every time he saw her she was "running around playing". I do NOT believe this. Not at fifteen pounds. This poor child was unable to run and play and I believe all of the adults in her life should be charged and tried for her death. There are no excuses for the way this child was treated. I'm happy she can now run and play to her heart's content.

For instance, I took care of a 4yo when my son was 4. She had BPD and was on oxygen and tons of meds etc.. She ran to her hearts content. She laughed and played. They use their nutrients to breathe so they are small in weight. It takes all they can do to breathe. OJ was the average size 4 yo and she looked like a 18 mo old. I saw such a big diff in the 2.

Agree, agree, agree. What I find incredible to believe is that the HOSPITAL allowed this little girl to go home with a caregiver who was not trained to reinsert her trach. I worked for one of the top 10 pediatric hospitals in this country for close to a decade. This little girl would have never ever been allowed to go home with a so called caregiver, can't even use the word mom, without proper training. That trach was her life line. Her airway. This little girl was failed by many. IMO.

I agree with this. I have to wonder why she was not allotted nursing services in home? With a trach she could of gotten it easily. Also for the state to pay for a trach, oxygen, etc.. she had to be seen by a Dr every so often to get the resp services approved??

Speaks volumes that the mother didn't want to learn how to reinsert that trach.

I so agree with this! That sounds like a mother who did not want to be involved with her child's care. If the trach popped out at home she could of died of resp distress before making it to hosp. I see where it did come out at home....makes me wonder what all happened then? Even calling 911 - you don't have min to spare when her airway is obstructed.

I am not in any way standing up for this mom....just giving instances where it could be this way? I know the way the headline is written it brings in readers. But yet she could of weighed 15 pounds depending on her energy use to breathe, what did she weigh at birth, was she a preemie?? It doesn't really give a full history. If it was wrong, then the Dr's should of noted it. I just don't see how she went without being seen by health care professional and being on oxygen. You need a Dr's order for it?

"Carlotta Pierce, mom of dead, malnourished child, force-fed child sleeping pills: prosecutor"

BY Erica Pearson AND Larry Mcshane
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Saturday, September 4th 2010, 5:50 PM

A malevolent mom lashed her 18-pound daughter to a bed after the morbidly malnourished girl made a mess while grabbing a midnight snack, authorities said Saturday.

After Carlotta Pierce tied down the frail 4-year-old Marchella, she force-fed her sleeping pills to halt her "wild" behavior - raiding the family fridge, according to the criminal complaint and Brooklyn prosecutor Tracey Downing....

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...child_forcefed_child_sleeping_pills_pros.html

Mother charged with 2nd Degree Assault, Reckless Endangerment and Endangering the Welfare of a child

She was also charged with drug possession. Autopsy results came back inconclusive, and another autopsy is expected to be completed next week.

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stor...-connection-with-underweight-daughter-s-death

I wonder what she weighed in Feb when released from hospital? I saw/heard she was a little over a pound at birth. Sounds like she just was sent home in Feb - so was she in the hospital for 3 years? if she is 4???
Also it said they had hired a agency to help care for her? Was she getting nursing help? If so I think more need to be charged. I would not go to a house and see this abuse and not report it to the proper places? I would love to find out more. Like since it said she was investigated by CPS did the nursing help report it and the CPS dropped the ball? HHMM
Also she had to have a Dr's order for the oxygen so a Dr had to see her at some point in time.

I hope more comes out on this. It was so sad to see the little bed carried out and know what happened there.

I'm sorry, but all I could think about while reading this is that my 7 week old daughter weighs almost 10 lbs... I cannot imagine a 4 year old weight 15 lbs, she must have been so tiny & fragile... Poor baby...

My heart is so heavy. All these beautiful children stolen from the world. Our future artists, writers, doctors..dreamers and dancers. I am so saddened at people who disregard the wonder and beauty, total innocence and brillance of the worlds children.
I am just so sad, so heartbroken.

:rose: RIP Marchella :rose:

:furious:

Well, I noticed from the dads photo how well he takes care of his dog!

As for the child's size- I have something to say about that- my son was born with down syndrome and had heart issues, he weighed 12lbs at 7 months and was small because it would wear him out to eat- because of his heart (his lungs were filling with fluid)... no one is going to convince me that it would be even remotely normal for a four year old to weigh only 15lbs... not buying it- no way. Even with a trach. After my sons open heart surgery he gained 1 pound in 1 month!

I hope they throw the book at this woman- and I hope this 'man' never has anything more then a dog to care for.

RIP Carlotta, so many adults failed you. I know that now you are free from all pain, and you will be able to be that girl you were meant to be.

UPDATE: Three More Indicted Today in the Death of Baby Marchella Brett-Pierce

http://bed-stuy.patch.com/articles/...y-in-the-death-of-baby-marchella-brett-pierce

Today, Kings County District Attorney Charles J. Hynes announced the indictment of three more people in Marchella’s death: Two former Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) employees, Damon Adams and Chereece Bell, and Marchella’s grandmother, Loretta Brett, all of whom now face homicide charges.

:) Justice for Marchella

UPDATE: Three More Indicted Today in the Death of Baby Marchella Brett-Pierce

http://bed-stuy.patch.com/articles/...y-in-the-death-of-baby-marchella-brett-pierce

Today, Kings County District Attorney Charles J. Hynes announced the indictment of three more people in Marchella’s death: Two former Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) employees, Damon Adams and Chereece Bell, and Marchella’s grandmother, Loretta Brett, all of whom now face homicide charges.

:) Justice for Marchella

From the article....

Today’s indictments charge Adams with falsifying ACS computer records, by dating an entry after baby Marchella’s death to make it appear as though he had visited the Brett-Pierce family, when he had not.

Thanks for sharing the article.
I do have sympathy for some CPS workers. I could not do what they do and see on a daily basis. But i do feel this little girl was very much failed by the system.

New York Magazine has a very good story by reporter Jennifer Gonnerman about the caseworker and supervisor indicted on charges of criminally negligent homicide after the child on their caseload, Marchella Pierce, died.

http://nymag.com/news/features/acs-chareece-bell-2011-9/

Excellent article. I don't think most people realize how high the workers caseloads are and how much paperwork is involved. Not to mention all the phone calls. A home visit seems simple, until you consider how many times they go out and find no one at home, so one visit becomes two or three. Yes it seems like anyone would have the minute or two to jot a little note into the computer that a visit was made. But when you think of all the other "little" things they have to do, it adds up and time runs out.

In general when a worker is found negligent I do think punitive action should be taken. But unless the negligence is large I don't think that prosecution is the answer. And more paperwork is not the answer for monitoring either.

They need supportive services like filing clerks. And how about laptops so they could make their notations in the field. Home care workers to help monitor home sites. So many other things could be done to make their jobs more efficient and more effective. But instead it it is more monitoring paperwork which takes up more time and uses up more of their resources. And of course more manpower has to be put into place to monitor all that paperwork, which means less money for the services. A vicious circle.

What a sad case. There is so much needed to improve these agencies which oversee children in need. I truly believe that most of these workers are diligent and try their best. What a sad state we are in to need others to oversee the safety and care of so many at risk children-that used to be done by parents. How sad that so many parents cannot or will not do this. It disgusts me that children are neglected and harmed by the people who should be their strongest protectors. I don't know the answer, but my heart aches for these little ones-there are too many. MOO

Pat S

I agree that things within the system need fixing, but what about this womans own mother? For petes sake! Am I so old school that every generation tries to do better than their parents did no longer applies? I hate to think of the way this little 4 yo beast of a mother was raised only to have her own demented ma help in her g dotters demise! Shut the front door!! 18 lbs! Ethiopia I understand, but here? This was intentional abuse, beyond torture. This poor baby was abused because she ate food out of the fridge? I think thats called trying to survive. Makes me so mad and so sad. Its obvious that the system needs fixing-but why burden the system when the family is responsible? Maybe a few hangings in a town sqaure are whats needed. We all know the people responsible have more rights than the human beings that they murder ever have. The very human beings that these vermin created. Sorry for the rant. Crimeinetly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back