Deceased/Not Found NY - Michele Harris, 35, Owego, 11 Sep 2001

Verdict close in Cal Harris' 4th murder trial
Defense lawyers for the 54-year-old Spencer man accused of killing his wife rested their case Thursday after calling witnesses over the course of nine days. Prosecutors expect to call several rebuttal witnesses to the stand Friday in Schoharie County Court before the trial concludes.

Judge Richard Mott will then decide whether Cal Harris is guilty of second-degree murder after two previous convictions were overturned and a third jury failed to reach a verdict in 2015. Harris elected to have the judge render the verdict in this trial just as jury selection was poised to begin in late March.
http://www.pressconnects.com/story/...arris-4th-murder-trial-winding-down/84273770/

After 27 days of testimony in the fourth Cal Harris murder trial, closing arguments are set to be delivered Wednesday before the judge who will decide the Spencer man's fate.

The closing arguments in Schoharie County Court will center on what each side believes the evidence proves — and what it does not. Tioga County District Attorney Kirk Martin says Cal Harris murdered his estranged wife, Michele Harris, late at night on Sept. 11, 2001, as a means of keeping control of his wealth and his family amid their divorce proceeding.

http://www.pressconnects.com/story/...-trial-judge-hear-closing-arguments/84508012/

Don't anyone be surprised when Cal Harris is acquitted-I really think this is what the result will be. Who else has had 3 opportunities to overturn a guilty verdict?

http://wtop.com/national/2016/05/closings-in-4th-murder-trial-of-upstate-ny-businessman/

A wealthy businessman accused of killing his estranged wife in 2001 had been in imminent danger of losing control of his children and money, a prosecutor said on Wednesday as arguments in his fourth murder trial wrapped up...

The fourth trial wound down with defense lawyer Bruce Barket saying in closing arguments that investigators built their case on bad evidence and unreliable witnesses. Barket argued that investigators fixated on Harris and overlooked another suspect his 35-year-old wife met as her marriage decayed and her lifestyle become more freewheeling...

It’s unclear when the judge will make his decision.

All four of the couple's children attended the trial on Wednesday and supported their father.

(...)

Mott, who is based in Columbia County, allowed the defense team to call witnesses to buoy another theory. In closing arguments, Barket stressed evidence that he said shows Stacey Stewart of Texas, who was living in Binghamton and allegedly involved with Michele Harris, was the killer.

Martin tried to debunk the Stewart theory, saying the man didn't have a relationship with Michele Harris.

(...)

"Fifteen years, Cal Harris and his family have endured this," Barket said.

Mott told attorneys he would give them a 30-minute notice before he delivers his decision. Both attorneys were expected to be back in Schoharie County Court on Thursday
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Closing-arguments-expected-at-Cal-Harris-murder-7611317.php

The judge tasked with deciding the fate of Cal Harris is expected to resume deliberations at 12:45 p.m. Tuesday.

Judge Richard Mott has spent about 11 hours over two days weighing whether Harris, of Spencer, is guilty of second-degree murder in the Sept. 11, 2001, death of Michele Harris, his estranged wife, whose body has never been found. The fourth trial for Harris is taking place in Schoharie County Court.

http://www.pressconnects.com/story/...may-want-sound-decision-expert-says/84661250/

Please, please, please come back with a guilty verdict today judge!

:praying:

:jail:

So.very.disappointing! However, expected after this many tries. {sigh}

Don't anyone be surprised when Cal Harris is acquitted-I really think this is what the result will be. Who else has had 3 opportunities to overturn a guilty verdict?

You were so right Jmoose.....I was so hoping you were wrong though! Sadly, CH got away with it.

I've followed the case but have never commented on this thread. I always thought Cal made his wife disappear as many on here do. Of course, the problem is that guy who saw Michele at the end of the driveway with the mystery guy. I still can't figure out if the guy made the story up--was he paid off? Was it a different morning? Did he just want to inject himself into the case? Locally, does the guy have a reputation of being good guy? Or, is his reputation a bit more surly?

Because obviously, the judge believed the witness' testimony.

I followed this thread only sporadically so my memory could certainly be wrong, but I thought that witness only came forward after the first (or maybe the second) trial. I saw him interviewed on Dateline or 48 Hours a long time ago & I didn't buy his story at all.....I was sure at the time that CH had bought him.

I saw this story on 48 Hours (or one similar) and I thought Cal's take on things sounded fishy. I am not familiar enough with the case to know all the evidence against him but there must have been adequate evidence if he was found guilty at trial. I should stress that if there is evidence that exonerates him or casts doubt on other evidence that was used to convict, it is good that he has been given a chance to prove that. However, I am amazed that he has had four trials on the same charges. How often does that happen? Apparently there was some new evidence to warrant a second trial but I am not aware of what went down to get him a third. And the fourth was due to the third being a mistrial, correct?

Still, it seems questionable that Harris has been given so many chances. I will assume (maybe incorrectly, which is what can happen with assumptions) that he comes from money.

I couldn't possibly post yesterday I was so upset with the verdict and Cal's "get even" speech that followed. Sadly, there is no justice for Michele. Not in this present life. I've felt sick to my stomach all day knowing this man will be walking free forever while Michele is in that hole or whatever he put her in. I will always, always stand by the first and second jury verdicts.

I believe the first prosecutor on the case, Gerald Keene was a great prosecutor in how he fought for Michele. The second, Kirk Martin, not so much. I feel like this last trial he lacked passion. While his closing argument was well written, the passion and energy just wasn't there. It reminded me of a nervous grade schooler reading a well-written essay in front of class, although there are somethings Kirk left out and other things I wasn't aware of that helped his argument. I give Kirk Martin credit for trying though, don't get me wrong. However, calling only that one blood expert with a high school diploma and not anyone else for a second opinion, Henry Lee's recorded testimony left out? Calling this Farr guy I think just backfired. It must be a huge disappointed and the verdict must have really weighed on him. I can definitely see how he needed help on the case and that's why Paul Clyne has been co-prosecutor at all four trials now.

There are two individuals and the NY Supreme Court who are really responsible for Cal being totally free now. The first judge, Martin E. Smith who overturned the first jury's verdict just after hearing from Tubbs. The first verdict should have never been thrown out all for that and to put a family through hell again and again. Then after the second conviction, the NY Court of Appeals overturns it again on a tiny technicality. Now we have Richard Mott who I will never understand why he chose to let the murderer go without even giving any reason but then I saw a slew of articles where he gave rapists with multiple counts only probation. I've never seen a judge not disclose any reason for his decision. I truly believe that he would see the evidence all pointed to Cal, all beyond a reasonable doubt and not buy the defense theory and really, that is how it looked. He threw out all the burn pit items and a good portion of their third-culpability case. He also had told the defense off when they would *advertiser censored*-smear Michele or bring up any drug use hearsay. So for a while it looked like he would find him guilty.

I really was prepared for Cal to be taken to jail yesterday to await sentencing.

The first 24 jurors were right. Judge Mott's handling of the closing argument camera rules was ridiculous. Only filming the chin and up? I also think the bow tie showed his ego.

I'm really truly disgusted with this case. The system is corrupt beyond belief and I truly hope karma does exist and that Cal ends up like OJ. He doesn't deserve to be a free man. He knows exactly where Michele's body is.

I can't imagine what the family is going through. The least the judge could have done was give them some sort of explanation. It is true Cal tried to get a bench trial when the second trial started in 2009 but the judge denied it.

Cal's speech outside the court house was outrageous. Taunting Sue Mulvey and trashing her father even after he showed up to her father's funeral and started harassing Sue. Did anyone notice you could see the vein on his forehead pumping up and down? Killer temper. I shudder to think what Michele went through. Horrible person. Two harassment charges on him.

I feel so bad for the family. Their chance at a civil suit was ended by the statute of limitations and they still don't have Michele's remains. No closure for them. It's just a terribly sad case and I don't think defense attorneys should be judges anymore.

I believe one day, those kids will question there father's innocence if they haven't already. Such a sad ending.

As GGE said, the only thing we can do now is find her body. I pray someday that will happen.

I followed this thread only sporadically so my memory could certainly be wrong, but I thought that witness only came forward after the first (or maybe the second) trial. I saw him interviewed on Dateline or 48 Hours a long time ago & I didn't buy his story at all.....I was sure at the time that CH had bought him.

I agree. Money talked in this case. And Erin Moriarty did a horrible job doing that 48 Hours. I can't even watch her anymore, she was so biased in favor of the murderer.

This verdict is tragic, but not surprising. That ***** has been buying people off since he murdered Michele. I can't help but wonder how many people palmed some green to manipulate the truth to get him off. But mostly, it's just so heartbreaking that the children buy into their father's BS.

Erin was showing bias I believe as well in the the three times they've done episodes on the case. One of the standards of journalism is not to do that. She's on again tonight in an updated version of their Cal Harris episodes

And it is a heartbreaking ending to a 15-year saga that started when Cal made the decision to take his wife out.

I commend the police and prosecution for going to herculean extent all these years in their effort to bring Cal to justice. Not sure how his attorneys are so okay

Cal is now at home with his kids happy he saved himself $74k and a lot of ******** and only had to do 3.5 years for it.

Did anyone see the 20/20 episode? It was definitely the most revealing and in-depth over any show that has done episodes on this case.

I enjoyed listening to the Stacy Stewart recordings and being taken through the defense's fictional screenplay.

The most interesting and outrageous thing is Cal Harris is suing Gerald Keene the civil route in the coming months. 20/20 showed the supposed video that has the prosecutor talking about "tampering with evidence" when none of how the photo was taken matters ultimately. Blood is blood. Michele's blood.

They are supposedly suing the lead investigator Sue Mulvey. At the press conference he claims she was never looking for Michele.

Cal is also taking up twitter getting back at people who think he is guilty. He is suspected of creating a bunch of accounts during trial and possibly a mysterious retired investigator going by the handle of Charlie Lawrence on Facebeook.

Post what your thoughts are on this 20/20 episode,

[video=youtube;Y9cJg_VscUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9cJg_VscUY[/video]

Did anyone see the 20/20 episode? It was definitely the most revealing and in-depth over any show that has done episodes on this case.

I enjoyed listening to the Stacy Stewart recordings and being taken through the defense's fictional screenplay.

The most interesting and outrageous thing is Cal Harris is suing Gerald Keene the civil route in the coming months. 20/20 showed the supposed video that has the prosecutor talking about "tampering with evidence" when none of how the photo was taken matters ultimately. Blood is blood. Michele's blood.

They are supposedly suing the lead investigator Sue Mulvey. At the press conference he claims she was never looking for Michele.

Cal is also taking up twitter getting back at people who think he is guilty. He is suspected of creating a bunch of accounts during trial and possibly a mysterious retired investigator going by the handle of Charlie Lawrence on Facebeook.

Post what your thoughts are on this 20/20 episode,

[video=youtube;Y9cJg_VscUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9cJg_VscUY[/video]

It just goes to show how vicious and vindictive this man is. I would hope that Michele's family would bring a wrongful death suit against him, but I doubt they will. They're probably in fear of him and his power to seek revenge. He had Michele sleeping on the couch while they were separated yet living under the same roof. He kept the bedroom and relegated the mother of his children to the couch. That strikes me as cold for some reason. But that little fact just rolled off his tongue before he realized how it sounded.

Hes so full of **** and is now (seemingly desperately) seeking the limelight to claim "victim." Strike while the iron is hot, I suppose. I hated the 20/20 piece and thought Matt Gutman was off. It was tabloid-ish, IMO. I wish everyone would stop giving him the attention he's seeking.

People will always be pointing and whispering, so there's that, which isn't much solace.

ETA: I just looked up NY statute of limitations, and it's 2 years. It doesn't sound like her family would have standing to sue anyway.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madamstraight
Back