Identified! NY - New York City, BlkMale UP5977, 35-45, in Hudson River, Sep'01 Ernest Lyons

Snipped by me... Wow!!! It will never cease to amaze me how many people are missing and how many cases are just not "out there" yet! The internet is a constantly evolving resource, and it is the reason that people like you and Snuf are SO important to the effort to match UID's with Missing People!!! I would LOVE to see a national database that matched UID's with Missing People - and that was searchable by "tattoo's", "scars", "broken bones", "clothing", etc. Big Sigh.... someday when I retire....

I think as NamUs is refined it will get better at the matching part. Unfortunately, cases like Mr. Lyons (which is going on 10 years old) are going to pop up. A lot of dentists won't have records from 10 years ago when a patient hasn't come in on at least a spotty basis, and family members die or move away- so no DNA.

The days of a facial ID are long gone- ME's really will only positively identify anymore based on dentals or DNA, so sadly there are going to be more than a few of these older "stand still" cases coming up.

I'm hopeful however that there will be fewer and fewer, because they all deserve their names.

this one is a total no-brainer Snuf. sad they can't just resolve it. makes you wonder what they would have done had there been no such thing as DNA.

I mean what more could they want? you got everything here. they found his body in NYC the same day he was reported missing and all the vitals match.

one thing that gets me - someone reported him missing. you would think next of kin would recognize his face and say that's Ernest.

great job!

It's possible he was reported missing by someone not blood related and no relatives can be located as Carl suggested. I'm not sure a visual identification would be legally sufficient.

Have there been any updates on this case that you are aware of?

Thought I would bump this for you Suf for a follow up

Le bumpo

This case has intrigued me for years due to it being the day after the worst terrorist attack in history.

maybe with the new medical examiner in NYC someone might take a fresh look at this one. Somebody reported Ernest Lyons missing and this UID is certainly Ernest.

maybe with the new medical examiner in NYC someone might take a fresh look at this one. Somebody reported Ernest Lyons missing and this UID is certainly Ernest.

OT - Who is the new Medical Examiner?

This is frustrating because it's so obviously Ernest Lyons. I contacted NYPD about it back in the Spring, and was told that "We are aware of both of these potential matches and have worked to the best of our ability to follow through. Unfortunately there is conflicting information in both of these cases that has prevented us from coming to any resolution so far."

Any news if this is Ernest. It sure looks like him to me. Bumping it up.

"We are aware of both of these potential matches and have worked to the best of our ability to follow through. Unfortunately there is conflicting information in both of these cases that has prevented us from coming to any resolution so far."

Does anybody have a clue what the "conflicting information" could be?

Despite the chaos of that day/week/year, I thought that if the authorities would take a non-9/11-involved MP case, they would have checked him against a non-9/11-involved body in the river. His details all match up on paper, but in looking at the actual photos, I can tell that his nose is the same.

The circumstances for Ernest say that he was last seen 6:00pm on Sept 12. The JD doesn't have a time associated with when he was found in the river (per Namus 00:00) so maybe it was before 6:00pm or it's unspecific. That is the only thing I can think of that would conflict.

Back in this thread it says midnight on the 12th or something but I'm thinking that 00:00 is an unknown time.

Everything else looks spot on.

...doesn't have a time associated with when he was found in the river (per Namus 00:00) so maybe it was before 6:00pm or it's unspecific. That is the only thing I can think of that would conflict.

Back in this thread it says midnight on the 12th or something but I'm thinking that 00:00 is an unknown time.

An old car of mine (Volvo) had a "24-hour clock" or however you'd phrase it. It took a while for me to get used to it since I'm so used to AM/PM, but once I did get used to it, it actually seemed simpler to me. There was only one 3:00 (AM). 3:00 (PM) was 15:00. So 00:00 on 9/12 would have been "late-night 9/11."

If that is truly the case, the body would have been found before he was last seen. But given how hectic it was that day, I don't know if they were too accurate with the timing. If there wasn't a known time for either when he was last seen or when the body was found, I don't know how they'd choose the time or if they'd even mention the time at all.

But given how hectic it was that day, I don't know if they were too accurate with the timing.

That's what I'm thinking. Considering what was going on it may have been wrong or just not well noted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back