GUILTY NY - Niah Ford, 4 mos, dies in bucket of vomit, Harlem, 16 Sept 2006

dark_shadows said:
Hi Liz,:)
This is just horrifying.Her actions took the life of her own flesh and blood.
Since she was not old enough to drink,is the person or persons who provided the alcohol going to be charged?
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

In my opinion, if those who supplied the alcohol were charged, that would give her a chance to say to herself she wasn't to blame.

i hope she never gets the chance to have anoher baby in the future. ever. they should tie her tubes.

If I were 18-years-old and living in a group home with a newborn, I'd want to stay drunk every minute of the day. I am so sad at the level of trapped desparation these young mothers must feel sometimes. This case is tragic.

This is one baby who should had been adopted out at birth.
Poor little thing.......as Michelle said this is very disturbing.

If I were 18-years-old and living in a group home with a newborn, I'd want to stay drunk every minute of the day. I am so sad at the level of trapped desparation these young mothers must feel sometimes. This case is tragic.

It is so very tragic. 18, with a tiny baby, living in a New York homeless shelter...such desperation for the so very young.

I hope the 5 years of probation will provide time and opportunity for this mother to turn her life around while she grieves for her lost baby. It will take a lot of doing for good to come from this tragic situation.

angelmom said:
How drunk do you have to be on a regular basis to keep a bucket by the bed after you go out partying?

Makes you wonder if there are any friends or family who gave a crap about this poor baby.

Just because she was drunk and passed out all day, doesn't mean she's a bad mother and ever did it before. You can be a drunk alot and a good mother, it's already been determined in the raping the mom thread. :p

The bucket had cleaning solution and water inside it. We don't know if the bucket was put beside the mother's bed by the mother, or just happened to be there. We don't have a clue as to whether the mother was drunk on a regular basis or whether she 'kept a bucket' by her bed in the homeless shelter.

Certainly the mother wasn't being a good mother at the time her baby died, but the baby's death appears to have been an accident.

LovelyPigeon said:
The bucket had cleaning solution and water inside it. We don't know if the bucket was put beside the mother's bed by the mother, or just happened to be there. We don't have a clue as to whether the mother was drunk on a regular basis or whether she 'kept a bucket' by her bed in the homeless shelter.

Certainly the mother wasn't being a good mother at the time her baby died, but the baby's death appears to have been an accident.
I believe in accidents. It does seem nowdays that everyone is punished for everything that happens, so probably she will be too. She's young and irresponsible, that's all. UNFORTUNATELY, it's a horrible accident, but it's an accident none the less.

I'm glad she plead guilty. A "good lawyer" (and I don't mean good as in excellent) could have come up with all sorts of ways to defend what happened - the bucket wasn't there when she lay down, someone put it there and knocked the baby in it etc. So I would hope that by pleading guilty, she is acknowledging her responsibility. Hopefully she can turn her life around thuogh surely it will be difficult. Doesn't make the death any less tragic and needless, but if any life can be salvaged for good, at least it's not completely bad. Of course if she does turn her life around, she will carry horrible pain with her.

GlitchWizard said:
Just because she was drunk and passed out all day, doesn't mean she's a bad mother and ever did it before. You can be a drunk alot and a good mother, it's already been determined in the raping the mom thread. :p

Thanks for clearing that up. ;)

These "good parents who have bad things happen to them" make me look like mother of the year!!!

PS....LOVE your siggy line...very similar to my own rule of decision making, which is, "How would this look on the 5 o'clock news?"

angelmom said:
Thanks for clearing that up. ;)

These "good parents who have bad things happen to them" make me look like mother of the year!!!

PS....LOVE your siggy line...very similar to my own rule of decision making, which is, "How would this look on the 5 o'clock news?"
Okay, I nominate you for "Mother of the Year". Lord knows MY Mother isn't in the running. :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back