GUILTY NY - Officer Brian Moore, 25, fatally shot, Queens, 2 May 2015

Officer Brian Moore, I'm so very sorry that this happened to you.

R.I.P. :rose:

QUEENS VILLAGE, N.Y. (WABC) -- Officer Brian Moore, the son, nephew and cousin of police officers, had already started carving out a promising career for himself at the New York Police Department, making more than 150 arrests and earning service medals in less than five years on the job.

That trajectory came to an end on Monday, when the 25-year-old was pronounced dead at a Queens hospital, two days after being shot in the head by a man with an extensive criminal record, including serving five years in prison on an attempted murder conviction.

Moore had been in a coma after undergoing brain surgery following the Saturday evening shooting. He died with his family, including his police officer relatives, at his bedside. The family said they expect his funeral to take place on Friday.

The usually bustling back entrance of Jamaica Hospital fell into stunned silence Monday, with tears flowing under a cloudless sky as an NYPD ambulance carried away Moore's body as saluting officers, including his parents, lined the path.

At the 105th Precinct Monday night, children came with their parents to try to share the heavy burden of grief with the officers there.

Firemen came to honor Moore and neighbors left flowers, and they lit candles and they wondered, as bunting was raised again in the city, as flags were lowered again in the city, have we forgotten how important they are?

"Who marches for the cops now? Nobody does," a resident said.

More here:
http://7online.com/news/nypd-officer-brian-moore-shot-in-queens-dies/693260/

I've always felt for police officers (and their families) for the enormous stress they must be under, where you never know if a routine traffic stop will turn deadly.

Police officers have to make split-second decisions or they're dead. That's why I've always given officers the benefit of the doubt in situations where a teen pulls a fake gun or someone is shot reaching for their wallet, as sad and awful as those situations are.

I have to wonder what would have happened if this young police officer shot the man as he reached toward his waistband. The officer would likely be alive, and witnesses would be saying he shot a man who was just standing there, there would be demonstrations, and the officer would be under investigation.

There were 300+ officers killed last year. I imagine at least a few of them would still be alive if they had pulled their guns a few seconds sooner.

So sad. What is with the violence these days? Is it because I am older and listen to and read the news more or is it really just that out of control? RIP Officer Moore.

A New York Police Department officer who died Monday after being shot in Queens this weekend will be laid to rest Friday.

A wake will be held for Officer Brian Moore on Thursday from 2-4:30 p.m. and 7-9:30 p.m. at the Chapey & Sons Funeral Home located at 20 Hicksville Road in Bethpage. A funeral Mass will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at St. James Roman Catholic Church located at 80 Hicksville Road in Seaford. The burial will take place at Saint Charles Cemetery in Farmingdale.

http://patch.com/new-york/massapequ...ail&utm_term=police & fire&utm_campaign=alert

So sad. What is with the violence these days? Is it because I am older and listen to and read the news more or is it really just that out of control? RIP Officer Moore.
I never know whether to start a new thread whenever an officer is shot any more because it does seem to happen so frequently. Unfortunately, another valiant police officer was killed in the line of duty Tuesday afternoon. His name is also Moore. Coeur d’Alene, ID police Sgt. Greg Moore was shot by a man who stole his patrol car:

<<snipped>>
Police arrested a 26-year-old man after a car chase that reached speeds of 125 mph. The pursuit ended when a police dog dragged the man from his hiding place underneath a commercial truck.

Jonathan Renfro appeared in court Tuesday afternoon and was charged with attempted murder, theft of a police vehicle, theft of an officer's gun and being a felon with a gun. Bail was set at $2 million. He was held in the Kootenai County, Idaho, jail.

Read more at ....

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime/article/N-Idaho-police-officer-in-critical-condition-6242970.php

I expect charges will be upgraded tomorrow to murder.

So heartbreaking. He is younger than my grandson. Where is the outrage for this young man who put his life in danger every single day?
Doesn't fit the narrative. Woe to us all if the roles had been reversed.

RIP Officer Moore. Your death may not garner national protests but millions of us across the nation salute you.

<<snipped>>

On Friday, nearly a week after he was shot and killed while on patrol in Queens, Officer Moore was to be laid to rest surrounded by a sea of blue.

Outside of St. James Roman Catholic Church in Seaford, N.Y., on Long Island, police officers from across the city and around the region began to line up hours before the service, thousands of men and women in blue repeating a ritual that for many felt grimly familiar.....

Homes and businesses on the streets surrounding the church were adorned with purple and blue ribbons.

“We support our police,” read one sign. “Blue Lives Matter,” said another.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/09/nyregion/nypd-officer-brian-moore-funeral.html

From Officer Moore's funeral, at above link:

09FUNERAL4web-master675.jpg

Jurors on Thursday convicted Demetrius Blackwell of all charges, including first-degree murder, in the 2015 shooting death of NYPD Officer Brian Moore.

Blackwell was led out of the courtroom in handcuffs after the verdict. Moore&#8217;s family remains in pain.

Blackwell faces life in prison when he is sentenced next month.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/11/09/officer-moore-murder-trial-verdict/

Queens man gets life in prison for killing NYPD Detective Brian Moore

Dec 20, 2017

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cop killer sues city after being jumped in prison

"He killed a cop — and now he wants a payday from the city.

Convicted Queens murderer Demetrius Blackwell — who is serving life in prison without parole for fatally shooting NYPD Officer Brian Moore in May 2015 — whines in court papers he was attacked by two inmates while behind bars.

Blackwell claims he was jumped in April 2017 by two other cons at the Brooklyn Detention Center — thanks to the “carelessness, recklessness and gross negligence” of prison staff.

The 37-year-old killer suffered a “deep,” almost 5-inch slice to his face, according to court papers.

Blackwell — whom a judge described as “a cold, calculating killer’’ at his sentencing — insists that he was an innocent victim in the brawl...."

https://nypost.com/2018/05/28/cop-killer-sues-city-after-being-jumped-in-prison/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici
Back