NY NY - Patricia Cabrera, 34, Centereach, 26 Dec 2014

I heard that, as well. However, she is still listed as missing with SCPD AND her family's FB does not mention that she went back to her country.

Either way, this location is a stone's throw away from her home. So...

You're right about the location being so close. It's terrible either way. If it's not her then it's another dead person. Unfortunately,I have lost faith in SCPD as well as Newsday.

You're right about the location being so close. It's terrible either way. If it's not her then it's another dead person. Unfortunately,I have lost faith in SCPD as well as Newsday.

I posted it on Robert Mayer's thread, also.

Just heard about this now and i am from the area,in fact my first job was teaching at her high school. It looks like she is from el salvador, la union i think like a lot of people in brentwood. Im wondering if it was a question of legal status- was she legal or gang- related, could she have been threatened and went back quietly to protect her daughter. So sad,she seems like a hardworking mother,gorgeous and loving. There had to be some pretty strong reason to go. Also, that particular shopping center where she worked can be pretty shady- i hope she did go back and she is safe...

I got to disagree with you in regards to the shopping center being "shady" .I shop there regularly and have been there at night.Not a known "hangout" area and the surrounding area ,crime wise, is average for Suffolk County. I do believe (no proof) that her family knows her whereabouts.

It was nearing the end of the month, when most things are due...so if she didn't pay them she would have had a nice chunk of cash in her pocket to do something with.

Any Spanish speaking people here able to translate this? A friend of hers shared one of her pics and posted this on the 9th:
"Si amiga donde quiera que se encuentre comuníquese con su familia ya que a dejado a una madre sufriendo y aúna hermosa hija que esperan su Regreso que mi Dios La cuide donde quiera que se encuentre!!!"

And another friend from the 11th:
"Coniquese su familia una madresita sufre hermosa niña la tenemos horacion para dios todo esposible eltiene la ultima palabra"

Just trying to get a feel of what her friends are thinking. These were shared publicly, so I think they are allowed to be posted here. Let me know if not.

I'm a native Spanish speaker, and one thing I explain to people when I translate anything is that when things are translated literally word for word, the meaning can change slightly. And culture also plays a role in how things are understood. Sometimes a translation that isn't so literal is the most on point in conveying the message. For instance, a certain sentiment may be expressed in Spanish one way, but that same sentiment is more readily understood in English with another common English phrase than in its literal translation, which could sound awkward.

Another thing that has thrown a monkey wrench into Google translate is that the quotes aren't using punctuation, they have spelling errors and typos.

The first quote says:
"Yes friend wherever you are, get in contact with your family, as you have left behind a mother who is suffering and a beautiful daughter, who (both) await your return. May my God protect you wherever you are."

The second quote says:
"Get in contact with your family a mommy suffers beautiful girl we keep her (or can be 'you') in our prayers. For God anything is possible, He has the last word."
That first sentence is a bit difficult to translate more precisely because of the lack of punctuation, so I'm not sure if this person is calling PC a beautiful girl or if she's referring to PC's daughter.

It's my personal opinion that these comments don't convey a sense of PC having left voluntarily. It sounds more like it's the worried commenters' hope that PC is ok, out there somewhere and able to return, and they're pleading that she return. But it comes across more like a desperate hope, hence the statement that anything is possible for God. They know this is a stretch, but all they have is this hope. That's my understanding of it.

I'm a native Spanish speaker, and one thing I explain to people when I translate anything is that when things are translated literally word for word, the meaning can change slightly. And culture also plays a role in how things are understood. Sometimes a translation that isn't so literal is the most on point in conveying the message. For instance, a certain sentiment may be expressed in Spanish one way, but that same sentiment is more readily understood in English with another common English phrase than in its literal translation, which could sound awkward.

Another thing that has thrown a monkey wrench into Google translate is that the quotes aren't using punctuation, they have spelling errors and typos.

The first quote says:
"Yes friend wherever you are, get in contact with your family, as you have left behind a mother who is suffering and a beautiful daughter, who (both) await your return. May my God protect you wherever you are."

The second quote says:
"Get in contact with your family a mommy suffers beautiful girl we keep her (or can be 'you') in our prayers. For God anything is possible, He has the last word."
That first sentence is a bit difficult to translate more precisely because of the lack of punctuation, so I'm not sure if this person is calling PC a beautiful girl or if she's referring to PC's daughter.

It's my personal opinion that these comments don't convey a sense of PC having left voluntarily. It sounds more like it's the worried commenters' hope that PC is ok, out there somewhere and able to return, and they're pleading that she return. But it comes across more like a desperate hope, hence the statement that anything is possible for God. They know this is a stretch, but all they have is this hope. That's my understanding of it.

Thank you Selina. I don’t think I’m allowed to say what the officer told me when I called their office, but there doesn’t appear to be foul play oddly enough. Could be wrong though.

Thank you Selina. I don’t think I’m allowed to say what the officer told me when I called their office, but there doesn’t appear to be foul play oddly enough. Could be wrong though.

If you can't say I understand, but out of curiosity, does this mean there still isn't solid confirmation that there was or wasn't foul play?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back