NY NY - Patrick Alford, 7, Brooklyn, 22 Jan 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAY 12, 2010
A 7-Year-Old's Cold Trail​

NY-AF227_MISSIN_DV_20100511183449.jpg

On a snowy night in January, 7-year-old Patrick Alford went missing. Within 90 minutes, Jeffrey Maddrey began to search.

Four months later, he's still looking.

Mr. Maddrey, 39, is the commanding officer of the precinct covering the crime-ridden East New York section of Brooklyn. He and the precinct's chief of detectives, Lt. John Tennant, 44, have seen it all. Yet the Alford case haunts them, and they now regard it as the most important in their decades-long careers.

Police said it is among the most intense searches in recent history with 9,100 apartments at 214 buildings canvassed and 14,000 people interviewed.

They've even devoted a situation room to Patrick at the precinct house. Maps and photographs cover the walls. On the main table, a chart connects at least 40 people related to the case, from Patrick's mother to a member of the Bonanno crime family.​

NY-AF228_MISSIN_G_20100511202837.jpg

Almost right away, officers started knocking on doors. Soon, every resident in the 6,100 apartments of Starrett City had been interviewed.

"I spent a lot of time there," Mr. Maddrey said, trailing off. "Hours… hours. I was doing 12- to 14-hour days for 13 days straight."

There have been three searches of marshes nearby with more than 100 officers, dogs and helicopters. Bullhorn trucks drove around the neighborhood for days.

Gesturing at the chart, Mr. Tennant says those with pictures have been arrested. Only a few don't have pictures. "You have everything in there," said Mr. Tennant. "Drug dealers, prostitutes and even a gangster."​
Mr. Maddrey and Mr. Tennant each have three children. The search for Patrick consumes them—and their families.

"Every day when I come home, 'Daddy, did you find that kid yet?' " Mr. Tennant said. "They come up with theories about it and I feel horrible. I'm like, 'I'm getting enough pressure at work.' "

Currently, police are working on three theories: Patrick is with family members who wanted him back after he was placed with a foster mother, the child died in the cold, or he was abducted.​

A sad as this sounds, does anyone know if they have gone back over the area with cadaver dogs? (Considering one of their theories is that he passed away due to the weather...)

A sad as this sounds, does anyone know if they have gone back over the area with cadaver dogs? (Considering one of their theories is that he passed away due to the weather...)

Which area? His scent was found in a few locations plus they checked out the marsh area.

Thank you Ruby Red. I had wondered what the originating country was for Patrick's Latino side of the family and if they still had ties there. Long shot but I had hoped against hope that may have happened.

The only hope I had for that is IF they originated from PR. If so, a passport is not needed to fly in and out of that commonwealth. But given the security levels since 2001, I'm not sure what documents would be needed for a 7 yr old boy. I don't have time to look that up today. I'm sorry.

As of today, I am thinking that it's either the above (a long shot) or he's deceased.

Prayers for Patrick.

Chicana, please don't feel like you can't state your opinions. If we all agreed on everything we'd never get anywhere! :)

Kat, thanks for digging around so much lately. You rock! I still haven't been able to dig into the bus and subway maps as much as I wanted. Hopefully this weekend.

Which area? His scent was found in a few locations plus they checked out the marsh area.

Any area that his scent was picked up? And possibly areas in between? (and quite honestly, it's NYC, a cadaver dog is bound to pick up something somewhere... Who knows who they'd find!)

Chicana, please don't feel like you can't state your opinions. If we all agreed on everything we'd never get anywhere! :)

Kat, thanks for digging around so much lately. You rock! I still haven't been able to dig into the bus and subway maps as much as I wanted. Hopefully this weekend.

We both know I'll never be able to keep my mouth shut when it comes to certain topics. I wanted to post a smilie but it won't work.
At this point, on this thread, it isn't doing any good to continue the Mom vs CPS debate.
Foster mom has been eliminated as a suspect right ? Wasn't there confirmation that Patrick left the building alone ?

Thank you Ruby Red. I had wondered what the originating country was for Patrick's Latino side of the family and if they still had ties there. Long shot but I had hoped against hope that may have happened.

The only hope I had for that is IF they originated from PR. If so, a passport is not needed to fly in and out of that commonwealth. But given the security levels since 2001, I'm not sure what documents would be needed for a 7 yr old boy. I don't have time to look that up today. I'm sorry.

As of today, I am thinking that it's either the above (a long shot) or he's deceased.

Prayers for Patrick.

I don't think Mom would have passed a poly if this was the case.
Last time I checked you don't need a passport to go to Mexico if you're traveling by car or bus.

We both know I'll never be able to keep my mouth shut when it comes to certain topics. I wanted to post a smilie but it won't work.
At this point, on this thread, it isn't doing any good to continue the Mom vs CPS debate.
Foster mom has been eliminated as a suspect right ? Wasn't there confirmation that Patrick left the building alone ?

They haven't actually "confirmed" that Patrick left alone, but I think they would have stated otherwise if he was seen leaving with someone. They also say they have footage of foster mom looking for him. Which means they should have footage of Patrick leaving. They have just never officially confirmed this either.

After looking over some bus info, I believe that if IF IF IF Patrick got on a bus, it would have been the #82. This bus has two stops near his apartment complex, one in an under 5 minute walk. The other, toward the Parkway, in a 10-15 minute walk. This bus stops every 15 minutes.

Patrick was reportedly last seen around 9:00 pm. If foster-mom didn't go with Patrick to the trash, it may have been 5-10 minutes before she noticed he was gone. He could have gotten on that bus from just before 9:00 to about 9:15. Or within 15 minutes before or after that, depending on how long before she noticed he was missing.

Another thing about this bus is that it goes to Coney Island as a final destination. Which...isn't Staten Island, but it is in that direction. (I haven't yet looked at bus connections beyond that point into Staten Island, or sex offenders at that location. Hopefully will get to that this weekend, too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels