Found Alive NY - Rachael Mattice, 24, Wells, 22 June 2016

A month of weekends in jail??? I've never heard of such a thing.

A month of weekends in jail??? I've never heard of such a thing.

I've seen it done here in Canada (Ontario) in the past. In fact, I know two people who served their time on weekends. Both had convictions for substance abuse type offences and had jobs and families to support. The court felt it was more important to allow these people to continue working, getting help, help supporting family than lose everything by going to jail for 3 months. So, every weekend they checked in and every Monday morning checked out.

In fact, both these guys got scared straight, so to speak, went through rehab, kept their jobs and went on the new lives after the fact. It worked.

I've seen it done here in Canada (Ontario) in the past. In fact, I know two people who served their time on weekends. Both had convictions for substance abuse type offences and had jobs and families to support. The court felt it was more important to allow these people to continue working, getting help, help supporting family than lose everything by going to jail for 3 months. So, every weekend they checked in and every Monday morning checked out.

In fact, both these guys got scared straight, so to speak, went through rehab, kept their jobs and went on the new lives after the fact. It worked.

I understand and it makes sense for substance abuse offenses. However, she wasted a lot of police resources on the taxpayer's dime.

I understand and it makes sense for substance abuse offenses. However, she wasted a lot of police resources on the taxpayer's dime.

Sometimes a little compassion is best. She wouldn't be able to pay restitution so she would either have to pay the debt for many years or declare bankruptcy. She made a big mistake but let's hope she gets past it and has a happy life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back