Identified! NY - Rochester, UnkRace Child UP13643, 1-3, blue metal storage trunk, Mar'76 - n/a

Couple articles that came out at the time about the case. I'm actually kind of surprised the trunk doesn't look more rusted, but maybe it doesn't show up very well in the image. I wonder if his body had been placed in the trunk and who ever left it there traveled with it. It seems that they tried to search all the families that lived there to see if it could had been one of the former children that lived there. It would make sense if the children that lived there were accounted for if the body had been moved there.

[FONT="arial"][FONT=&quot][url]https://www.newspapers.com/clip/10188856/dc_greece_john_deo_mar111976/[/FONT][/FONT][/URL]

[FONT=&quot]https://www.newspapers.com/clip/10030904/namus_up_13643/[/FONT]

Thanks for the articles. IMO Far fetched but mean-me says...what if the housekeeper had something to do with it? Not logical....he wouldn't raise any flags. Or somebody asked one of the former tenants to store the box and they totally forget when they moved out. Hmmm? According to one of the articles some former tenants were not found. I wonder after all this years they are accounted for? The post mortem interval was ca. 6 months. If the trunk was there with a decomposing body (saying the child died during the time the tenants were there) wouldn't there be a horrible smell? Somebody would have noticed that. I think the trunk traveled with the owner, child already deceased in it. Pondering on that....why take it with you when you move to NY....why not burry the little one in a place it would never been found if bad thinks happened/you killed the chld. Why leave the trunk in the basement with your dead child? Could be some kind of strange emotional attachment, ...or is that completely crazy?... No money to burry? Could it be that the parent(s) died during the time he/she rented the apartment ? Lots of stuff to think about....Would like to hear the thoughts of other W-sleuthers....

I would say there probably was some love for the child and it maybe the reason they would travel with him. Maybe they wanted him to stay close to them, or maybe the person who had the trunk thought no one would go through it so they never thought he'd be found.It could also be the smell had gotten to them and they decided to store it in the basement. It could had been the tenants in the apartment complex thought a raccoon or something died in the basement or walls and no one thought it was a body or the trunk contained enough of the smell it wasn't noticeable outside of the storage room. I think in the article it said that the only reason he opened it was because it seemed rusted and there was no smell mentioned.

Thinking about people who keep there dead loved ones in there homes...just pondering..... this article is about a cultural motive...didn't yet have the time to search for profiles on people (apart from cultural stuff) who kept there dead loved ones with them. I remember somehow a case where people just didn't have the money for a proper burial, or cases where people didn't report that a family member diseased for getting social security money. And of course people who cover up a murder.... The boy had an unclear Race....but also seemed to be neglected....

The Toraja of Sulawesi keep the bodies of the deceased in their homes for as long as a few years, believing “that a dead person who is still at home is not dead.” National Geographic documented the culture’s sacred tradition in a video, revealing their lavish celebrations for the dead. When a loved one passes away, the family members treat the body as if the person were still alive. They describe death as prolonged sleep. Torajans take the utmost care of the body, cleaning it and brushing off dirt, changing its clothes, praying with it, feeding it, and leaving the lights on in the evening.

https://www.inverse.com/article/133...i-indonesia-keeps-the-dead-in-homes-for-years

Thoughts?

Doe Network link case page

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3010umny.html

[h=1]3010UMNY - Unidentified Male[/h]
3010UMNY.jpg
3010UMNY1.jpg
3010UMNY2.jpg
3010UMNY3.jpg
3010UMNY4.jpg

Reconstructions of the decedent by NCMEC; enhanced images of the clothing he wore and the footlocker containing his body.

Date of Discovery: March 9, 1976
Location of Discovery: Greece, Monroe County, New York
Estimated Date of Death: 1974-1975
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Undetermined

[h=2]Physical Description[/h]Estimated Age: 3-5 years old
Race: Unknown
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Light brown to black, straight and fine. Eyelash color was black.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: The child had a skull abnormality to the back left region of his head, due to an unknown cause. It likely occurred a significant amount of time before death and may have caused or been associated with other health problems that affected his nutrition and growth, which is suspected to be due to neglection. The child likely could not walk and may have had developmental deficiencies.

[h=2]Identifiers[/h]Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available

[h=2]Clothing & Personal Items[/h]Clothing: Light blue pajama top with a deer design on the left chest area and a plastic diaper secured by two stainless steel diaper pins.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: White or yellow blanket, Khaki-colored "Sears Super Tarp" (water and mildew repellant) 5' x 7' Blue storage trunk/foot locker

[h=2]Circumstances of Discovery[/h]The child's skeletal remains were discovered in a blue footlocker in the basement of an apartment complex in Greece, Monroe County, New York. At the time and during the years following his discovery, the child was presumed to have been a female at the approximate age of 20 months to two years old. Forty tenants were questioned, which revealed no promising leads.
In 2017, the child was re-examined, following an exhumation, and found to actually be a boy after advanced DNA, pollen and isotope tests took place.
The isotope and pollen tests revealed that the child had likely lived in the Northwestern part of the United States for the first few years of his life and later likely relocated to the Southeastern part for the last part of his life. It is unknown if the child was alive at the time he arrived to New York.
The clothing and other items related to the case proved less-successful when searching for clues, as they were common at the time they were sold.
The cause of the boy's death could not be determined, although his bones showed signs of severe malnutrition, indicating he may have been neglected when alive.
[h=2]Investigating Agency(s)[/h]Agency Name: Monroe County Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Robert Zerby
Agency Phone Number: 585-753-5914
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 76-00091 (91-76)

NCIC Case Number: Not entered
NamUs Case Number: 13643
NCMEC Case Number: 1245432

[h=2]Information Source(s)[/h]NamUs
NCMEC
NCMEC Now
USA Today
KPIC 4
Forensic Magazine

Doe Network link case page

3010UMNY

[h=1]3010UMNY - Unidentified Male[/h]
3010UMNY.jpg
3010UMNY1.jpg
3010UMNY2.jpg
3010UMNY3.jpg
3010UMNY4.jpg

Reconstructions of the decedent by NCMEC; enhanced images of the clothing he wore and the footlocker containing his body.
Location of Discovery: Greece, Monroe County, New York
Estimated Date of Death: 1974-1975
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Undetermined

[h=2]Physical Description[/h]Estimated Age: 3-5 years old
Race: Unknown
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Light brown to black, straight and fine. Eyelash color was black.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: The child had a skull abnormality to the back left region of his head, due to an unknown cause. It likely occurred a significant amount of time before death and may have caused or been associated with other health problems that affected his nutrition and growth, which is suspected to be due to neglection. The child likely could not walk and may have had developmental deficiencies.

[h=2]Identifiers[/h]Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available

[h=2]Clothing & Personal Items[/h]Clothing: Light blue pajama top with a deer design on the left chest area and a plastic diaper secured by two stainless steel diaper pins.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: White or yellow blanket, Khaki-colored "Sears Super Tarp" (water and mildew repellant) 5' x 7' Blue storage trunk/foot locker

[h=2]Circumstances of Discovery[/h]The child's skeletal remains were discovered in a blue footlocker in the basement of an apartment complex in Greece, Monroe County, New York. At the time and during the years following his discovery, the child was presumed to have been a female at the approximate age of 20 months to two years old. Forty tenants were questioned, which revealed no promising leads.
In 2017, the child was re-examined, following an exhumation, and found to actually be a boy after advanced DNA, pollen and isotope tests took place.
The isotope and pollen tests revealed that the child had likely lived in the Northwestern part of the United States for the first few years of his life and later likely relocated to the Southeastern part for the last part of his life. It is unknown if the child was alive at the time he arrived to New York.
The clothing and other items related to the case proved less-successful when searching for clues, as they were common at the time they were sold.
The cause of the boy's death could not be determined, although his bones showed signs of severe malnutrition, indicating he may have been neglected when alive.

[h=2]Investigating Agency(s)[/h]Agency Name: Monroe County Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Robert Zerby
Agency Phone Number: 585-753-5914
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 76-00091 (91-76)
NCIC Case Number: Not entered
NamUs Case Number: 13643
NCMEC Case Number: 1245432

[h=2]Information Source(s)[/h]NamUs
NCMEC
NCMEC Now
USA Today
KPIC 4
Forensic Magazine
I actually just noticed the trunk and the pajamas seemed to be the same matching colors. I know it does not mean anything but I thought it was interesting

I wonder if they've tested DNA against Terry Peder Rasmussen or any of the bodies in the barrels. The DOJ timeline shows him in AZ in 1973 and 1975 but he had a habit of traveling. It would be quite a stretch, but I have to say he's the first person that comes to mind when I see kids in containers in the NE.

Greece John Doe is featured in a new exhibition hosted by The University of South Florida’s Institute of Forensic Anthropology & Applied Science (IFAAS).
New USF Art Exhibit Aims to Help Solve Cold Case Homicides
Exhibition displays consist of clay busts and drawings, digital compositions, artifacts and information about the crime scenes. Kimmerle, USF graduate students and Sgt. Sergio Soto, a forensic artist with IFAAS, created the reconstructions and exhibit. Their work is part of the ongoing statewide cold case initiative by IFAAS, for which the team conducted a number of forensic methods - such as exhuming Jane and John Doe graves for skeletal analysis, facial and clothing reconstructions, chemical isotope testing of the bones, hair and teeth, as well as DNA testing.
Art of Forensics

Case 2: Greece, New York

usf16-014c-ff.jpg

Collage: Illustration, Historic Photographs & Newspaper
Sergio Soto

A storage trunk uncovered in the basement of an apartment building contained the remains of 3-5-year-old boy of White (European) ancestry. He was dressed in a light blue, wool “Bambi” pajama top and a diaper, and then wrapped in a yellow blanket. His hair was straight and brown to black in color. While his cause of death is unknown, it appears he had prior cranial surgery earlier in his short life. This surgery occurred well before death. There is also evidence of growth and health related problems. His head had a prominent bulge on the left backside of his head, appearing asymmetrical. Chemical isotope analysis suggests he was not local to the New York area, but may have been born in the Northwestern U.S., and spent a significant amount of time in the Southeastern U.S.

USF16-014C PD: 606982
ME: 76-00091 NamUs: UP 13643

Any information that may assist with this case please contact:
Sgt. David Mancuso, Greece Police Department
(ph.) 585-953-1596 / dmancuso@greeceny.gov

Originally believed to be an infant girl with DNA they now determined it to be a 3-5 year old boy. He likely wasn't able to walk and had a skull abnormality, a bulge. Isotopes also determined he may have never lived in NY during life and that he had spent time in the North West.

Unfortuately, due to his inability to walk he could have been confined inside for most of his life. Possibly only family members knew he existed.

The Boy in the Blue Box: Greece, NY Cold Case Gets New Face, Leads

I think in cases of small children both genders should be investigated because it hinders investigation otherwise if it happens to be incorrect. Like in the case of the Stanley Park babes in the woods in the 50's. It wasn't determined they were both boys until the 90's. The whole time they were looking for a boy and girl.

Originally believed to be an infant girl with DNA they now determined it to be a 3-5 year old boy. He likely wasn't able to walk and had a skull abnormality, a bulge. Isotopes also determined he may have never lived in NY during life and that he had spent time in the North West.

Unfortuately, due to his inability to walk he could have been confined inside for most of his life. Possibly only family members knew he existed.

The Boy in the Blue Box: Greece, NY Cold Case Gets New Face, Leads

I think in cases of small children both genders should be investigated because it hinders investigation otherwise if it happens to be incorrect. Like in the case of the Stanley Park babes in the woods in the 50's. It wasn't determined they were both boys until the 90's. The whole time they were looking for a boy and girl.

I wonder if someone remembers a family or someone moving into the building from another state?..Or someone having a visitor from another state?

. I wonder who also had access to the basement. Was it only the super and workers or everyone in the building or was the basement not locked and anyone from the outside would be able to access it?

They were skeletal remains which means the little kid had to have been dead for a while and not smelling. Because IAM assuming they would of smelled him decomposing. Someone would of smelled it.

With any of the clothing or the trunk where it was made? I know some of the clothing was from sears and could they determine how old the clothing was?

My opinion: ONE of the Forty people in the building Knew Something...

I know buildings used to let people keep their steamer trunks and luggages in one of the basement rooms they used for storage for the tenants at least in NYC they did. So it would be normal to have trunks and suitcases and such in an area of the basement.

Last edited:
Couple articles that came out at the time about the case. I'm actually kind of surprised the trunk doesn't look more rusted, but maybe it doesn't show up very well in the image. I wonder if his body had been placed in the trunk and who ever left it there traveled with it. It seems that they tried to search all the families that lived there to see if it could had been one of the former children that lived there. It would make sense if the children that lived there were accounted for if the body had been moved there.

[FONT="arial"][FONT=&quot]D&C Greece John Deo Mar111976 - Newspapers.com[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]NamUS UP #13643 - Newspapers.com[/FONT]

I noticed that in the last article they checked out all the tenants they could that had female babies about that age.. but no mention of checking any with male babies. When was it discovered that the kid was a male? I would of thought the kid was a male from the getgo since it was in a blue Bambi jumper and matching blue foot locker . I wonder how much checking out if the former tenants did they really do?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back