NY NY - Steven Damman, 2, East Meadow, 31 Oct 1955

So I guess it has not been established if the people who raised him as their son were the ones who abducted him or if he was abducted and then put up for adoption.
The couple could have been desperate for a child because they couldn't have one of their own but if that were the case you would think they would picked up the baby instead.

I'm curious how this man found out he was taken as a child. He was only 2yo so probably no memory of other parents. Why was he taken? How was he treated?

Just read your post Trino - that makes sense. I don't know much about strollers circa 1950. I wonder if the straps in the strollers showed any signs of tampering?

I agree that there may be valid reasons not to have photos from his childhood; fire, flood damage, loss in a move...there are lots of reasons why you might not have a lot of photos from 50 years ago. And before the digital age, when a photo was gone, it was gone. When I got married 20 years ago, I remember asking the wedding photographer how long he would keep the negatives on file, just in case.

I hope this is the missing case, because it would lovely for the family to have some answers while there's still time. But something about this just seems off to me. Several articles mention that the elder Damman has tried to call the man twice, to no avail. That sets off my hinky meter right there. I think I remember in the Shannon Sherrill hoax case that the family could never get hold of the woman, that she would call them but they could never reach her if they tried to call back? (Maybe I'm remembering that incorrectly.) Also, one of the linked articles says that the man's alleged biological mother was incoherent and on morphine when she mumbled something that MAY have been, "You're not my biological son." Who knows what she said or meant? If he has family and resentment issues, she could have said any number of unintelligible things that he chose to interpret as something to validate his "never fitting in." Even if she did say that, she could have meant, "Your father was married once before, to your mother, but we never talk about that because she committed suicide/ran away with a traveling salesman/was committed to an institution," or "My sister gave birth to you as an unmarried teenager, but since we didn't talk about those things in the 50s, you were given to the married daughter to raise as her own."

It is weird that the daughter and stroller were found, but he wasn't. My thought is that whoever snatched the children started to worry that they weren't getting away fast enough--too suspicious to start running down the street, but they were getting worried that the mom might come out and raise the alarm. So they didn't want to waste time unstrapping the girl from the stroller, so they just abandoned the stroller and ran off with the boy. Easier to hop in a waiting car with one child, too, instead of wrestling a stroller into the car. One of the articles said that there were several strollers lined up outside of the store; if one stroller is obviously missing, that's going to be the first thing that catches your eye, since a stroller (esp. the 1950s ones) is so large. Easy to scan the street and see that someone has your stroller; not as easy to tell from a distance that someone walking in the opposite direction has your child in their arms.

Yes, or he figured out the child in the stroller was a girl, and he/she wanted boys - do not discount the adoption ring element of this time period. It could be that the parents who raised this man did nothing worse, from their POV, then obscuring his adoption. It is entirely possible that the kidnapper passed him off as his own child to an agency/lawyer for money, who then passed him off to the family. Just a possibility.

Just read your post Trino - that makes sense. I don't know much about strollers circa 1950. I wonder if the straps in the strollers showed any signs of tampering?

I don't even think strollers (the "pram" kind) even had straps - I think they were still the buggy sort in the 1950s.

So I guess it has not been established if the people who raised him as their son were the ones who abducted him or if he was abducted and then put up for adoption.
The couple could have been desperate for a child because they couldn't have one of their own but if that were the case you would think they would picked up the baby instead.

I think the man's parents have claimed that they are his biological parents.

I didn't think about the lack of photography in the 50s. My parents were children in the 50s, and although there aren't many photos of them as babies, I have seen several of each from different family members.

You're quite right in that adoption laws weren't what they are today, but he was 2 months shy of age 3. Again, would he remember anything? He could very well have been kidnapped and quickly "placed."

Then, too, child abductions didn't make national news. Children freely played outside all day w/o parental supervision - different world. And, in the 1950's people didn't question adoptions or a new child in a family as they would today.

You're quite right in that adoption laws weren't what they are today, but he was 2 months shy of age 3. Again, would he remember anything? He could very well have been kidnapped and quickly "placed."

Then, too, child abductions didn't make national news. Children freely played outside all day w/o parental supervision - different world. And, in the 1950's people didn't question adoptions or a new child in a family as they would today.

It would be possible that he does have memories from before he was 3, but they are non-specific as to his parents' faces, etc.

Or that he does have memories from before that age, and that is one reason he is so adamant about having been kidnapped.

I think the man's parents have claimed that they are his biological parents.

I didn't think about the lack of photography in the 50s. My parents were children in the 50s, and although there aren't many photos of them as babies, I have seen several of each from different family members.

If the parents who raised this man are his bio parents, it's quite a slap in the face to them. They, too, must be in their late 70's. We need an interview with the parents who raised him.

If the parents who raised this man are his bio parents, it's quite a slap in the face to them. They, too, must be in their late 70's. We need an interview with the parents who raised him.

They should just have DNA tests with his current family, to ward off all talk of this kidnapping business, if they are still alive. I get the feeling they aren't.

If he is indeed their biological child, there are so many pretty serious identity and acceptance issues here - it is possible something bad happened to him before he was 3 (i.e. abuse of some sort), and he's just interpreteted this way.

I don't remember much at all before the age of like 5 yrs old.

I have one very vague memory of waking up in my crib and climbing out and scraping my back up one my way down. Other than that I don't think I would have a clue if I had been taken from my real parents and placed with others.

This is a picture of a stroller from the 1950's from Ebay. I don't think there were straps?

Another one from Craigslist:
3k93m53p4ZZZZZZZZZ96g4eed321d8e701c89.jpg

I think I will wait until the results come back and not try to over-analyze everything. There's plausable explanations for both sides, however there could likely be info not being published. FOr instance
But something about this just seems off to me. Several articles mention that the elder Damman has tried to call the man twice, to no avail.
The articles don't say if the elder Danman had the correct number, if there were messages left, if the other guy ever got any messages. There's just too much not known to speculate IMO.

This is a picture of a stroller from the 1950's from Ebay. I don't think there were straps?

Another one from Craigslist:
3k93m53p4ZZZZZZZZZ96g4eed321d8e701c89.jpg

OMG....If you only knew what a ghost from the past that second picture is for me....LOL

My MIL had a very similar stroller to that one, it may even be the exact one, but HERS was rusty and very well used. To make a horror story short here, she insisted on using that 30 year old stroller for my kids who were born in the late 80's years. It had NO seat belt or buckle of any kind, sharp edges and a slippery seat that had no support for a child who was sleepy or not quite ready to hold themselves steady while bouncing down a neighborhood street! It was soooo unsafe in every way! I bought several extra strollers and made sure to ALWAYS take one of them out of the car and have it unfolded and set up on her front porch. She would still always drag out that nasty old rusty THING and put my kids into it. I made it clear to her that I did NOT want them in that thing, but she ignored me and used it anyway. Well, Ok, not such a short story here after all :crazy: I stopped leaving my kids with her unless the weather was so bad that I knew she would not want to be out in it herself! Guess what? For indoors, she had a nasty old high chair thing with a built in table that was just as bad. Pinched their legs till they bled and she still used it!

Interesting case. I also like the part where the sister and the Michigan man had private DNA testing that showed they might be related. After all these years if he is the missing boy, it will be interesting to know how the family he was raised with came to have him.

New article speaking to the man who thinks he is the kidnapped boy. Also has a picture of him. ........

Barnes told the News that he harbored suspicions about his past for as long as he can remember. His mother, as she was dying 10 years ago, suggested she was not his biological parent, Barnes said.

The clincher came in March, Barnes told the News, when preliminary DNA tests indicated he might be related to Pamela Horne. Her nearly-3-year-old brother was kidnapped on Long Island back in 1955.

Barnes sports a snaking scar along the right side of his face, and a dime-sized mole behind his right calf - both distinguishing characteristics noted by police when the Long Island child disappeared.

Barnes said his mother's suggestion about his family tree led him to start investigating his past. From his earliest recollections, Barnes said, he was different from the rest of his family.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...ven_damman_kidnapped_54_years_ago_speaks.html

Yeah, strange that the story didn't say at all that there were reasons this guy suspected he was not biological. No photos of him before a certain age. Vague memories. Something...

Wow, I can definitely see the resemblance in the baby picture and him as an adult. I hope his biological mother is still alive for the reunion. And I hope somebody in his 'adoptive' family is still around to answer how he ended up with them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NSFamilyLaw
Back