Found Deceased OH - Abdul Mohammed, 25, Cleveland University student, family in India claims ransom demand, 7 Mar 2024

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
Abdul Mohammed was last seen on East 13th Street, according to police.

He was last seen at 1700 E. 13th Street in Cleveland. He was wearing a white T-shirt, red jacket and blue jeans.

Abdul Mohammed, who is pursuing a Master's degree in Information Technology (IT) at Cleveland University, was last seen on March 7. His father, Mohammed Saleem, reported receiving a phone call from an unknown number later that week from someone claiming to be part of a gang.

“I am in a state of shock. The caller refused to give evidence that my son was in his custody. I tried telling him that we would follow his instructions, but he got angry and refused to communicate further,” Mohammed Saleem, who is a supervisor for building sites, told TOI.
Saleem’s son Abdul Mohammed, who went to the US in May 2023 for a Masters in IT from Cleveland University, has not been in touch with the family since March 7. Relatives of the family in the US lodged a complaint with Cleveland police which issued a look-out notice for Abdul Mohammed.

Attachments

• 1710920105948.png
    1710920105948.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 20, 2024 14:27 IST
''Abdul Mohammed, who is pursuing a Master's degree in Information Technology (IT) at Cleveland University, was last seen on March 7. His father, Mohammed Saleem, reported receiving a phone call from an unknown number later that week from someone claiming to be part of a gang.
The caller claimed they had kidnapped Abdul and demanded a ransom of $1,200 for his safe return. They further threatened to sell Abdul's kidney if the ransom wasn't paid.''
whatsapp_image_2024-03-20_at_12.19.09.jpeg

Noting that there has been a number of scam kidnappings etc. targeting Chinese students internationally, maybe this is a copycat crime, imo, speculation...
Jan 2024

''His last known location was a Walmart store in the city where he went missing.''
''Last week, Arfath’s father received a call from an unknown number, claiming to have abducted his son. The caller demanded $1200 from Mohammed Saleem for his son’s release but did not specify the payment method, according to media reports.

“He [Mr. Arfath] is my only son. He said he was missing us and his friends and wanted to come home. I told him that he could do so during his vacations, and if needed, I would send him the airfare. The last time I spoke to him was on March 7, but that was only for a few seconds. He called his friend the next day and spoke to him.''

The missing student, when last speaking with his father, said he was homesick and wanted to come home but lacked the airfare to do so. Then he's "kidnapped" and someone asks for $1200 ransom. That just happens to be the same amount it costs for airfare on a major carrier from Cleveland to India. https://www.united.com/en-us/flights-from-cleveland-to-india. You can take from that what you will, but I think the kidnapping ransom is a hoax of some nature. Hopefully this young man will turn up safe and soon.

The Consulate General of India in New York is working with local law enforcement authorities to find a 25-year-old Indian student in Cleveland who has been missing since the beginning of this month.

Mohammad Abdul Arfath, hailing from Nacharam, Hyderabad, arrived in the US in May last year to pursue a Masters in IT from Cleveland University.

The Indian Consulate said in a post on X that it is in touch with Arfath's family and authorities in the US. "We are working with local law enforcement agencies to find him at the earliest."

“Yesterday, I got a call from an unknown number, and the caller informed me that my son has been kidnapped and demanded money. The caller did not mention the mode of payment but just asked to pay the amount. When I asked the caller to allow us to talk to my son but he refused,” Saleem told PTI in Hyderabad.

Arfath’s parents have requested the central government to take necessary measures to bring back their son safely. Saleem has also written to External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar in this regard.

"Missing of my son Mohammed Abdul Arfath from Cleveland, Ohio State, USA- Req-Reg.This is to state that my son Mohammed Abdul Arfath resident of H No: 4-2-88/24/2A Ambedkar Nagar, Nacharam, Medchal, Malkajgiri District in Telangana State holder of Indian Passport No: U9815651 went to pursue Masters in IT from Cleveland University during May 2023 and was staying 1700 East 13th Street, 23L Cleveland, Oh44114 and last spoke to me from +14406617965 on 7th March 2024 and since then he is not in touch with us. It is requested to ask the Indian Embassy in Washington DC, USA and Indian Consulate in Chicago, USA," he stated in his letter to EAM Jaishankar.

It’s a bit concerning after reading google finds. I really hesitated to post as I see these scams all the time but something about the hostage taker’s demand was just too ridiculous! This from a few days ago:
Paruchuri Abhijit, a 23-year-old engineering student at Boston University, was found dead in his car in a nearby forest apparently killed by thugs to rob him of his money and laptop.

1711031079492.png

Last edited:
It’s a bit concerning after reading google finds. I really hesitated to post as I see these scams all the time but something about the hostage taker’s demand was just too ridiculous! This from a few days ago:
Paruchuri Abhijit, a 23-year-old engineering student at Boston University, was found dead in his car in a nearby forest apparently killed by thugs to rob him of his money and laptop.

View attachment 492044
''Always keep your friends and family updated on your whereabouts at all times. Here’s how you can always remain connected:
  • Get a local number and share it with friends, family, university office and your roommate
  • Always keep your phone charged and on ringing when not in a classroom
  • Whether you're going to another town or to the nearest shopping mall, keep someone informed
  • If you feel unsafe at any given time, share your live location with someone you trust''
Mar 18, 2024
Paruchuri Abhijit was found dead in the US. He was the only son of his Guntur-based parents.(X@IndianTechGuide)
Paruchuri Abhijit was found dead in the US. He was the only son of his Guntur-based parents.(X@IndianTechGuide)

Last edited:
Can the call from the unknown number be traced, at least to determine from which general area it originated?
Yes, it’s possible but duo to privacy concerns (it’s not a crime for an adult to go missing) LE would likely have to have a subpoena. If there is evidence of a crime (abduction obviously being one) they can get one and the phone companies usually act fairly quickly on that.

If the call was made from a landline those are the simplest to trace to a location, but hardly anyone uses those anymore.
Cellular phones are harder. The communications provider can determine which cell tower the phone is connecting to, but that only gives a rough location, and the effective radius of the cell tower. Normally, they can interrogate the phone and get it to send its GPS coordinates. But a smart criminal (or anyone that doesn't want to be "located") likely knows that can be thwarted by turning off “location services” on the phone (turn off the GPS function).

April 4, 2024 article - still missing; very few details. Wonder how much has been discovered?

[…]

Anyone with information on his location is asked to call police at 216-623-3073

[…]

Very sad news. :(

Another ‘missing’ Indian student found dead in Ohio, US, 11th such case this year​

The Indian embassy in New York has confirmed the tragic news that Mohammed Abdul Arfath, a 25-year-old student from Hyderabad who had enrolled for a Master’s program at Cleveland State University in 2023, is found dead in Ohio.

The embassy expressed their sorrow with the following statement: “Anguished to learn that Mr. Mohammed Abdul Arfath, for whom search operation was underway, was found dead in Cleveland, Ohio. Our deepest condolences to Mr Mohammed Arfath’s family.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back