OH OH - Beverly Potts, 10, Cleveland, 24 Aug 1951

Bumping....

A week from today will mark 58 years since Beverly Potts vanished. I just read the book written about her disappearance, Twlight of Innocence by James Badal. It's a very haunting, well written account of her disappearance, and I highly recommend it.

This is a disappearance that makes me sad. An innocent 10 year old girl who's still gone. Her family has searched 58 years and has searched until the grave. The person who did this needs to have a heart & tell someone where this baby girl is!

And can someone tell me where i could could get the book written on bervely potts?

This is a disappearance that makes me sad. An innocent 10 year old girl who's still gone. Her family has searched 58 years and has searched until the grave. The person who did this needs to have a heart & tell someone where this baby girl is!

And can someone tell me where i could could get the book written on bervely potts?

Welcome to WS, amber1.

I got my copy of the Beverly Potts book, Twilight of Innocence by James Badal, on amazon.com

I have the VHS version and it is very interesting. Beverly's older sister Anita passed away a few years back. Sadly all her family died not knowing what ever happened. I still believe it was some one on her street that took her.

I have the VHS version and it is very interesting. Beverly's older sister Anita passed away a few years back. Sadly all her family died not knowing what ever happened. I still believe it was some one on her street that took her.

I knew her sister passed away a few years ago. It is very sad that her family never knew what happened. I also believe it was someone in her neighborhood who took her as well. After reading the book, I was stunned to realize how close the Potts home was to Halloran Park. It's just unbelievable to me that a perp can snatch a child like that practically in front of their own home. I also find it very strange, as they mentioned so often in the book, that no one saw anything, given the large number of people in the park that night. This whole case is just very, very sad.

I know what you mean about how close she lived to the park. I've been to Halloran Park and the saw the house she lived in, and it is amazing how close it all really is. She did not have far to walk at all, and since there seems to be no witnesses, I'm thinking she made it out of the park and started down her street. The houses are practically right on top of each other, and from what the book said there were even more trees then and not much light.

Hard to believe Beverly would be 68 years old now.

I agree, someone who lived near Beverly. I wonder how many neighbors the police talked to or if any raised suspicion. It seems like in these old cases, as well as some nowadays, communities, neighborhoods, etc., usually think of a roving pervert as an abductor rather than someone they know, especially if that person seems "normal."

It makes me wonder how seriously the police looked at a neighbor, who may have even been married or had children who weren't home at the time Beverly went missing.

Thinking of Beverly today. She vanished, not leaving one trace, 58 years ago this evening.

Beverly Rose Potts
Missing since August 24, 1951 from Cleveland, Ohio.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: April 15, 1941

Age at Time of Disappearance: 10 years old

Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'11"; 90 lbs.

Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes. She had her hair cut in a short bob with bangs.

Marks, Scars: She has a vaccination scar on her upper left arm, a small scar over her left eyebrow, and a kidney-shaped birthmark about one inch long and three-eighths of an inch wide on her instep. Potts had a distinctive, duck-like gait in 1951, with her toes turned out.

Clothing: Blue jeans with a side zipper and no label; bright red cotton panties; green socks; a white cotton Honeylane undershirt; a red sport shirt; a navy blue poplin jacket with no label and both pockets torn; size five or five and a half brown Karrybrooke Sportshoes loafers and a yellow gold ring.

Dentals: Her upper and lower molars have silver fillings. Gaps between her teeth.

Photos of Beverly can be seen at the link below.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Potts disappeared from a neighborhood festival at Halloran Park. There were no witnesses and no trace of what happened to her. Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Cleveland Police Department
760-839-4722

Source Information:
Channel 5 News
The Charley Project
The Doe Network: Case File 162DFOH

LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/162dfoh.html

Remembering Beverly today on the anniversary of her disappearance. I believe it is still possible to get answers in this case, especially if Beverly was taken by someone in her neighborhood.

RIP to the entire Potts family.

1500 people watching the Showagon in Halloran Park and not one person saw anything suspicious. How could that be? I have to wonder if Beverly was planning on meeting someone with her insistence on staying to the end of the show when her friend had to be home by dark. Beverly refused to go, even though she knew she was not supposed to be there alone. I, too, hope that someday, this case is solved.

Beverly was allowed to stay to the end of the show. Her parents had a show business background and understood her love of that type thing. Her friend had to be home by sunset. I'm not sure if Beverly's parents knew her friend had to be home earlier, so maybe they didn't realize Beverly would be alone.

I don't think Beverly was waiting for someone. She was ten years old. If she were fifteen, maybe. I've mentioned before that I believe she left the park safely, but it was once she was walking down her dark tree lined street, she was taken. I believe it was a neighbor who she knew or was at least familiar with to let her guard down.

Someone above said the rest of the family is dead. Did she have any brothers or sisters that may have had children that are currently living?

Someone above said the rest of the family is dead. Did she have any brothers or sisters that may have had children that are currently living?

If I recall correctly, Beverly had one sister who was quite a bit older than her. I don't know if she ever had children, it might have been mentioned in the book but it has been awhile since I last read it.

It was just Beverly, her sister Anita and her Mom and Dad. Both parents are deceased, and Anita died a few years ago. I believe Anita had 2 or 3 children.

Beverly was allowed to stay to the end of the show. Her parents had a show business background and understood her love of that type thing. Her friend had to be home by sunset. I'm not sure if Beverly's parents knew her friend had to be home earlier, so maybe they didn't realize Beverly would be alone.

I don't think Beverly was waiting for someone. She was ten years old. If she were fifteen, maybe. I've mentioned before that I believe she left the park safely, but it was once she was walking down her dark tree lined street, she was taken. I believe it was a neighbor who she knew or was at least familiar with to let her guard down.

The book, Twilight of Innocence, indicated that Beverly's mom had NO IDEA that Beverly's friend was NOT staying until the end of the Show Wagon, so they gave Beverly permission to stay to the end - specifically. This only became an issue between Beverly and her friend DURING the Show Wagon. Based on the book, if Beverly's parent's had known her friend was leaving at sundown, they would have insisted Beverly come home with her. The book depicts rather an arguement between Beverly and her friend about leaving. It that is accurate, Beverly's parents WERE likely misled about how long the friend would be there by Beverly.

Although Beverly was only 10, that really is the BEGINING of sexual longing for many girls and I can imagine how she might be innocently susceptible to someone.

I have the book, but it has been awhile since I read it. I was trying to say what you are saying, that what I remember from the book, I took it that Beverly was allowed to stay to the end of the show by her parents because they understood the love of the show business thing, but it also appears the parents weren't aware that Patsy had to be home by sunset. I'm sure they assumed the girls would walk home together. The friends did argue as Patsy wanted Beverly to walk home with her, but Beverly wanted to stay and she was permitted to stay, even though it appears she wasn't clear with her parents she would be alone.

While ten year old girls could be liking boys enough to be planning secret meetings and such, It is just my personal feeling it wasn't the case with Beverly, as it appeared she was just mesmerized by the Showagon. Of course I may be wrong, and it is an angle to look at since nothing else has worked over the 58 years. It was said Beverly appeared older than her age and could of attracted an older person, but I still think someone took her against her will, as opposed to her wanting to go with this person. I guess I just picture Beverly still an innocent ten year old girl just being dreamy eyed at a concert in a park as opposed to meeting a boy. Though she may very well had a crush on someone in the Showagon or someone in the neighborhood so I know what you are saying..
Anything is possible...

joellegirl: Exactly, Beverly was allowed to stay to the end of the show because her parents thought Patsy would also be there. They were supposed to walk home together. But Patsy was told to be home by dark and the Showwagon continued AFTER dark. So Beverly and Patsy had an arguement and Patsy walked home alone so she would arrive home by dark, leaving Beverly there.

There are so many possibilities as to who took Beverly:

1. Acquaintance/Sexual Predator she should not have trusted
2. Older boy she liked and should not have trusted
3. Unknown Couple who kidnapped her for unknown purposes
4. Unknown Sexual predator

What are the other possibilities?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics