Found Deceased OH - Darnell Taylor, 5, foster parent Pammy Maye, 48 advised she harmed him then fled in 2015 gray Jeep Cherokee, Columbus, 14 Feb 2024

MAR 25, 2024
[...]

In court Monday, the judge in the case asked about an insanity plea, but Maye's attorney said she will be competent to stand trial.

"I'm not at this point concerned about competency," Maye's attorney, Sam Shamansky, said. "I’m concerned about my client's mental state at the time.”

Shamansky said he believes Maye understands the charges brought against her, though he wants to focus on her mental state at the time of the alleged crime.

"Competency means right now you can’t understand who is who, and you can’t help your lawyer with the defense," he said. "NGRI means at the time of the offense you are unable due to a mental disease or defect to appreciate the wrongfulness, so there are two different concepts, so we're focused on the latter."

[...]

MAR 25, 2024
[...]

In court Monday, the judge in the case asked about an insanity plea, but Maye's attorney said she will be competent to stand trial.

"I'm not at this point concerned about competency," Maye's attorney, Sam Shamansky, said. "I’m concerned about my client's mental state at the time.”

Shamansky said he believes Maye understands the charges brought against her, though he wants to focus on her mental state at the time of the alleged crime.

"Competency means right now you can’t understand who is who, and you can’t help your lawyer with the defense," he said. "NGRI means at the time of the offense you are unable due to a mental disease or defect to appreciate the wrongfulness, so there are two different concepts, so we're focused on the latter."

[...]
The defense lawyer is right, focussing on NGRI before competency is putting the cart before the horse. In the interests of justice, there needs to be no question of competence before proceeding to a plea. And this is a case where sanity might actually be a realistic defence.

MOO

There is body cam footage of Pammy Maye confessing to killing Darnell. I'm posting several links, because some show different portions of the footage. She says that his murder was premeditated (her word.) She was angry with him because, earlier, he was eating snacks in bed. She suffocated him by putting a trash bag over his face while he was sleeping, and holding it there until he stopped moving. It is hard to watch.

I don't see any news about PM's court appearance today other than this. Looks like we may have to wait until May 23 for an update. :( MOO

APR 25, 2024
She's accused of suffocating the boy and putting him in the sewer. She has pleaded not guilty.

Maye was indicted in February on charges of aggravated murder, tampering with evidence and abuse of a corpse.

A status hearing has been set for May 23.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back