OH - Dorothy Richardson for beating fawn to death, Euclid, 2009

I don't believe she was "afraid" . If she was afraid she could have stayed in her house. She was mad because deer are eating her plants and flowers so she struck at the one most vulnerable, helpless, and least likely to be able to strike back.

LOL, I knew it. I knew before I even got into this thread that this woman was going to be a gardener.

Not a defense but maybe some understanding.
Most gardeners grow a garden for personal challenge and enjoyment
Flowers are expensive to buy, and if they have any size on them at all they can be very valuable Plus the larger plants can have a lot of pride and hard work tied up in them.
The deer was tresspassing
Deer can do a lot of damage to a garden in just one night And they doln't stop eating until they eat the plant to the ground.

That said, I think that killing the fawn went overboard. But thank goodness it wasn't some kid out getting into mischief.

She sounds like she needs to be in an inpatient psychiatric center for a couple years so they can get a full evaluation of her!
That is so wrong! Poor baby deer!
I saw a deer get hit by a car once and was in hysterics for a half hour later (yes it did get up and walk away, yet i knew it was hurt). My friend had to hold me down so i wouldn't get out of the car and run after the car that did it..
its very traumatizing =(

http://www.cleveland.com/crime/index.ssf/2009/07/elderly_euclid_woman_pleads_no.html

Some of Richardson's neighbors, who include Councilman Christopher Gruber, told animal control officers that Richardson admitted beating the fawn to death with a shovel on June 15 when it was on her property near the Cleveland Metroparks' Euclid Creek Reservation. Neighbors said Richardson then put the dead deer out for trash collection and told them: "And I'd do it again."

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=10824287

Richardson claims she was frightened of the fawn but her neighbor and City Councilman Christopher Gruber told 19 Action News she was proud of killing the deer and wanted to put the fawn's body at the edge of the woods so other deer wouldn't bother her yard. Gruber also said Richardson showed no remorse.

http://www.fox8.com/news/sns-ap-us--fawndeath,0,6887995.story

She has told Cleveland media she was afraid when she saw the baby deer in her garden on June 15 and used a shovel to try to shoo it away. She said after it died she placed it in a box that she put out with the trash.

Colour by me...
She has told Cleveland media she was afraid when she saw the baby deer in her garden on June 15 and used a shovel to try to shoo it away.

All Righty then! used a shovel to 'shoo' it away. Is that what they are calling it these days? :rolleyes:

It's not impossible for someone to be afraid of a deer. (Actually, I live with tons of them and I'm very afraid. They do not mess around, especially in certain seasons.)

I wouldn't, however, go so far as to kill one, especially a fawn. I can't even imagine doing that personally. (I don't even eat deer, lamb, veal, rabbit, etc.) It's just that I can understand an elderly woman, coming from a time with a whole different mind set, not looking at wild animals with the affection and sympathy that is customary nowadays.

Seventy years ago, The Yearling was applauded for its deer-killing theme as a symbol for emerging maturity and responsibility.
I live in Cherokee County, and the people that keep deer in pens usually are aware that that bucks (male deer) that are in rutting season can become aggressive. I'm not blaming the people that were attacked, it is so bad that that happened to them, but it can happen with deers in confinement (as the blogs that were posted indicated that those deer were confined). However, deer in the wild usually are afraid of humans and run away when they detect human scent. In gardens, we usually apply baby powder on our plants (particularly during the hot season when there is a drought or no rain) to keep deer away because they smell the baby powder and think it is human scent.

A fawn is harmless. It probably was separated from its parents. True that it could have attracted its parents to the lady's yard, but she could have called animal control. While animal control may, in the long run, have been useless... beating a young fawn to death with a shovel is cold, heartless, and downright cruel in my opinion.

Personally I don't believe in hunting as a sport. I won't eat deer meat. But irregardless of my personal opinion on that...anyone that beats a defenseless animal to death of any kind...is a psycho...I don't care how old they are either or for what reason they did it. JMO

LOL, I knew it. I knew before I even got into this thread that this woman was going to be a gardener.

Not a defense but maybe some understanding.
Most gardeners grow a garden for personal challenge and enjoyment
Flowers are expensive to buy, and if they have any size on them at all they can be very valuable Plus the larger plants can have a lot of pride and hard work tied up in them.
The deer was tresspassing
Deer can do a lot of damage to a garden in just one night And they doln't stop eating until they eat the plant to the ground.

That said, I think that killing the fawn went overboard. But thank goodness it wasn't some kid out getting into mischief.

I have a huge garden with A LOT of money invested but I WOULD NEVER take an animals life because of it. She is just a mean, evil, heartless old hag that should go to jail and be fined. Just because you are a gardener does not make you God.

OMFG, what a load of *hit that is. It really does more harm than good for equality in our society when this attorney can try to make this about race! Yeah, its an animal... but the fact she beat it to death like that is ok because she's black? I really have to believe the color of her skin makes absolutely no difference here at all - talk about playing the race card. I'm speechless.

Unfortunately, George Forbes is well-known for playing the race card. The Cleveland newspaper today had a column re this and pointed out this fact.

I didn't watch the video.... and race never even came to mind with me... and HAD I watched the video... race would not have came to mind with me either.

All I can say is WOW! UNBELIEVABLE!

Has anyone heard any more on this story. She was supposed to have a pretrial hearing August 20th. Any one know what happened?

I have a huge garden with A LOT of money invested but I WOULD NEVER take an animals life because of it. She is just a mean, evil, heartless old hag that should go to jail and be fined. Just because you are a gardener does not make you God.

ITA! Every spring I fix up flowers to have in the front yard and the back yard, some are planted in the ground and some are in containers. This year also we had some vegetables. Since our neighbor takes care of many stray cats I can't begin to tell you how many things have been damaged/killed by the cats! It never occured to me that I should storm out there and beat them to death because I need to protect my plants.
Heck when I come home there are usually a few of the cats out there to greet me... of course that might be because of the meat scraps I give them :) We've also trained our dog so he doesn't chase them.

When my mother was alive she enjoyed putting out a bird feeder that she could watch near a window, it drove her nuts because the squirrls would steal the seeds, now she grumbled about it, but she never went out there to slaughter them.

As far as this woman being treated unfairly because she is black, oh please give me a break!!! I knew nothing about the color of her skin when I heard this story, it's not the skin color, it's the hateful mean spirited deed she did that sickened me!

VB

The Cleveland newspaper today said this woman received a sentence of $500 fine and 80 hours of community service.

She probably got off easy because she was old. I hope they have her pulling weeds by the highway or something.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back