Identified! Oh - Eastlake, Whtmale 454umoh, 70, Alias 'jnchandler Iii', Jul'02 - Robert Ivan Nichols

This case is close to home. Was a bummer when he turned out not to be Mr. Dial. The odd thing is he really looks like the men on one branch of my family, and there's one who I can't find any trace of. Unfortunately this man would have had to be 100 at death to be that family member.

Anglin appears to have a squared skull, and his mouth seems too narrow. He also has more of flared nostrils. But other than that, the proportions all seem good, especially the ear shape!

I find it satisfying to theorize he's DB Cooper or the Zodiac.

Thanks - I agree with you that I like the Cooper/Zodiac theories and I wouldn't discount them entirely.

It's also very clear that he does not look much like John Anglin; but then I can't imagine that he looks much like his younger self, either. He has that 'old guy' look about him in a big way; his nose is quite puffy, which could hide or change the shape of his nostrils, and he is quite jowly, which hides how square his jaw could be.

The age regression also shows him with an apparently narrower mouth, but I think this "wider" mouth could be a combination of a visual effect caused by his jowls and a slightly different facial expression and/or angle. In both men, the proportions of the eyes/nose/head are similar and yet the corners of the mouth are closely aligned to the pupils in both.

I'm not saying it is him but I'd like to see some proper image analysis.

What I do know is that Anglin's family has refused to give DNA, either because they like to think he made it, or because they know that he did.

I do think he's a good match, don't get me wrong. But there has got to be a legal way around the bush to collect dna from them, with a subpoena or something. They're on the most wanted list. If they wanted to find out if he made it then they should just cooperate, unless they know he did because the postcards and flowers. If those were an indication of it and they stopped receiving them, he or they probably died and there shouldn't be any harm in collecting it.

Whatever he did or wherever he came from, he was really hiding it. No drinking, not wanting to blab. Maybe I missed it, did they do isotope testing?

That's odd, I thought the last post was about Raymond Wilson. He looks like a match. Shirley Campbell, Frank Freshwater, Ralph Hill as well all look similar. If he were an escapee, I don't think finger prints would matter in the 60s or even 70s, they'd probably need to know exactly who they wanted to compare, right?

I did suggest Raymond Wilson but then didn't want to flip-flop between suggestions... the post was up for 2 minutes I think!

Not really seeing it on Ralph Hill, except possibly around the nose, and I'm not sure that Frank Freshwater (great name, by the way!) really resembles the Doe, but I do see a resemblance with Shirley Campbell. I think he looks quite old in his mugshot. He may actually be as young as 21 there; he was convicted of murder in 1958. Ironically, the guy named Shirley murdered a girl named Sylvester.

The Afro American said:
After seven hours of deliberation, a jury last week convicted Shirley Campbell for the Jan. 17 first degree murder of a hospital student nurse. He was sentence [sic] to life at Ohio Penitentiary at Columbus.

A jury of nine women and three men recommended mercy for the 21 year old white orderly, convicted of slaying Miss Sylvester Andy, 20, a freshman nursing student from Piqua.

Miss And was hurled from the hospital roof when she spurned the orderly's advances, the prosecutor said."

That quote is actually from a newspaper called the "Afro American" so the victim may have been African American.

Shirley Campbell is actually two months younger than the real Joseph Newton Chandler III. The timeline would also match up well for the identity apparently stemming from the 1970s.

The thing that gives me pause about this UID being incarcerated in Ohio is that, if he escaped from prison in a particular state, I would guess that he would relocate to an area where no one would recognize him. I think, that far back, the communication between jurisdictions wasn't the way it is now and, if he was able to cross state lines, so long as there wasn't much publicity, there is a chance (especially with a new ID) no one would put together that he was wanted in another state.

That's true. But he has been linked to South Dakota, California, and possibly Texas, including Ohio that is quite a circuitous route. He may have worked with or around the navy. He also had "expensive camera lenses," which I find intriguing.

So it's still probably possible that he escaped Ohio and lived out of state for a number of years. Especially if he was one of the men who escaped in the 50s. Also depending on the location in the state, Chillicothe is a ways from Cleveland and Eastlake.

That's true. But he has been linked to South Dakota, California, and possibly Texas, including Ohio that is quite a circuitous route. He may have worked with or around the navy. He also had "expensive camera lenses," which I find intriguing.

So it's still probably possible that he escaped Ohio and lived out of state for a number of years. Especially if he was one of the men who escaped in the 50s. Also depending on the location in the state, Chillicothe is a ways from Cleveland and Eastlake.

So far, I haven't been able to find a list of wanted fugitives/escapees from California (which I would like to find for many cases here and, ideally, a historical list and not just the recently wanted) and South Dakota. The only list that I have found for Texas (so far) doesn't seem to go back very far -- http://www.dps.texas.gov/Texas10MostWanted/stillWanted.aspx

The recent (last year) article from the Plain Dealer/Cleveland.com (unsure if it's been posted here) mention that while investigators have ruled many people out, there are still some fugitives from Ohio and another state that they have been unable to so far.

From Okiegranny's post:
Elliott and his office have resurrected the case of a man who appeared to be a paradox: a simpleton with a brilliant mind who lived as a pauper but had a modest bank account. All of it was built on a foundation of fiction.

"This is like chasing a ghost,'' Elliott said. "He lived the perfect life of someone on the run. He had no friends. He never got in trouble. He just lived so very quietly. He knew exactly what he was doing''...

Elliott has spent six months examining the case, following up on a detailed investigation by Eastlake police detectives. He has looked into links involving handfuls of fugitives from New Hampshire to California. He has examined long shots, such as the Zodiac Killer, who terrified San Francisco in the 1960s and 1970s, and inmates who escaped from Alcatraz. He hasn't ruled out the Eastlake man in those cases, but he has in others, including fugitives in Oklahoma and Ohio.

This case is close to home. Was a bummer when he turned out not to be Mr. Dial. The odd thing is he really looks like the men on one branch of my family, and there's one who I can't find any trace of. Unfortunately this man would have had to be 100 at death to be that family member.

Anglin appears to have a squared skull, and his mouth seems too narrow. He also has more of flared nostrils. But other than that, the proportions all seem good, especially the ear shape!

I find it satisfying to theorize he's DB Cooper or the Zodiac.

BBM

I knew Elliot growing up, and his father, who was also a U.S. Marshall. Elliot Sr. once told my dad that if there was one case he wished he could have solved it would have been DB Cooper. I'm not saying I think it is Cooper, but there sure would be some sweet irony if it was and Elliot Jr. was the one who caught him!

You know what, I think I'm dyslexic or developed a reading comprehension problem.

That would be sweet!

The biggest question about John is how he acquired his money. While he did live frugally and owned next to nothing, was it enough to have that much working in a temp service? Would he have gotten that from a retirement plan? Or... did he jump from a plane with it?:D

While he did live frugally and owned next to nothing, was it enough to have that much working in a temp service?

He lived and worked under that identity for roughly 25 years.

As an electrical technician or engineer, he could reasonably have earned the equivalent of $50k in today's dollars. Even if his income was up and down, a frugal lifestyle might mean $800 in rent, $500 for living expenses, and a couple of hundred for a truck and other big purchases. So if he was taking home in today's terms $3,000 to $3,500 per month, he could have saved nearly half his earnings... $82k over 24 years is $284 per month on average, even ignoring interest, so easily done for a single person with no ties, a moderate income and a reasonable understanding of finance - and especially if he didn't trust a retirement plan because his SSN was bogus - so no 401(k) contributions coming out of his pay, and an even greater imperative to save.

Researching other cases and I see they updated namus and doenetwork with more photos. So, I found this guy who I think is pretty dead on for the new age regression photo. Can anyone do a side by side?

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/topten-history/hires_images/FBI-197-AlsonThomasWahrlich.jpg/view
Found this article on Wahlrichj https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&so...MQFjAF&usg=AFQjCNHFDTgcfR1kEER6E4onUrzbfGR-dw

Had a tattoo of a heart with name Cindy, thought to be paranoid schizophrenic. Was in the army and may have been a student pilot. Charged with child molestation, kidnapping, assault, interstate fleeing.

IMO I don't think this guy could have lived like Chandler without issues for that long, unless he was heavily medicated. I don't recall Chandler having any markings, amongst scars that Alson has. He does look very similar though.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back