Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure it's Joey. But here's the catch. There is no way he decided to commit suicide and drown on his own. I won't buy it for a second. But the police will say no sign of foul play and it was suicide or an accidental drowning. No way. That's why they need to hire a private investigator NOW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure SVU was combing that particular area after a tip or lead. Someone told them to look there . Not buying that the SVU was doing a "routine search"....

I have a feeling if it was a missing male possibly "hooking up" with a woman, no one would have a problem with the speculation. Evidence or not. I've seen it here before and there are no mods policing those discussions. But because it's a possible male/male hook up, everyone is clutching their pearls? Give me a break. It's 2016.
Agree. When a woman goes missing from a bar, a possible hookup is always discussed. Very relevant, because if there was a hookup that person may have been the last person to see the missing person and may have needed information, and if it turns out that there's foul play, the hookup is a prime suspect.

It's no different with Joey. If he was going to hookup with someone, that person needs to be found.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The more I sit and think about this, the more I understand the silence from CPD for the past few weeks.
In my opinion,I honestly think that they had a suspect or had been receiving tips/leads somehow. I don't believe that the SVU was in that particular area as a routine check for missing persons. I believe they were tipped off by someone, which led them to that DIRECT area. I don't think it was random. If CPD were to give updates, over the past 25 days, I think this would have put their suspected leads in jeopardy- this person was probably not in custody? Maybe they were receiving anonymous phone calls/letters? Or maybe they were getting information from someone that possibly knows the perpetrator? All speculations of course. I just think, that if it IS Joey, there are ALOT more questions that NEED to be answered.
Or.... maybe someone that frequents that area (someone that is homeless, perhaps? or maybe someone that was fishing) witnessed something awful and has come forward.
I am anxiously awaiting results of autopsy and positive ID for the body....

I have to say as a gay man, I've found a lot of the speculation in this thread rather insulting.

I agree, when the police are playing it close to the vest, I believe they are working leads. It's the rest of us who are eager for any tidbit of information. I don't know if that is why no billboards or reward but I believe the family was following good advice from the police.

Here's what i find the most insulting - that somehow a gay man can't have any common sense and is just waiting to be a victim of everyone on every dating app or in any gay bar.
Gay men can use common sense when dating, either someone they met on line or in a bar. I met my partner online. We talked on the phone and met in a nice, public place where we both felt safe several times until we knew each other well. Not that much different than what happens in a heterosexual dating scene, I'd hope.
I used to live in Columbus and was at the Axis last April when I was up. I can't find any news articles about men being drugged that bar. If it was the widespread occurrence we are led to believe, it would be in the news.

Can people be drugged without knowing? Yes - but anyone, gay or straight, should never leave a drink unattended or accept one from someone they don't know.

The more I sit and think about this, the more I understand the silence from CPD for the past few weeks.
In my opinion,I honestly think that they had a suspect or had been receiving tips/leads somehow. I don't believe that the SVU was in that particular area as a routine check for missing persons. I believe they were tipped off by someone, which led them to that DIRECT area. I don't think it was random. If CPD were to give updates, over the past 25 days, I think this would have put their suspected leads in jeopardy- this person was probably not in custody? Maybe they were receiving anonymous phone calls/letters? Or maybe they were getting information from someone that possibly knows the perpetrator? All speculations of course. I just think, that if it IS Joey, there are ALOT more questions that NEED to be answered.
Or.... maybe someone that frequents that area (someone that is homeless, perhaps? or maybe someone that was fishing) witnessed something awful and has come forward.
I am anxiously awaiting results of autopsy and positive ID for the body....

I agree with you completely. I don't believe that it was random, either, and now that the body has been found (and if it does indeed turn out to be Joey), hopefully there will be more answers, rather than questions.

Here's what i find the most insulting - that somehow a gay man can't have any common sense and is just waiting to be a victim of everyone on every dating app or in any gay bar.
Gay men can use common sense when dating, either someone they met on line or in a bar. I met my partner online. We talked on the phone and met in a nice, public place where we both felt safe several times until we knew each other well. Not that much different than what happens in a heterosexual dating scene, I'd hope.
I used to live in Columbus and was at the Axis last April when I was up. I can't find any news articles about men being drugged that bar. If it was the widespread occurrence we are led to believe, it would be in the news.

Can people be drugged without knowing? Yes - but anyone, gay or straight, should never leave a drink unattended or accept one from someone they don't know.

I really hope that is not what people are actually saying and I am sorry that you are getting that vibe!! I just don't think people know how to articulate what they are trying to say. From what I am reading, I don't think some of these people on this thread are trying to be offensive.
When I was single, I used dating apps (tinder, match, plenty of fish, etc)... and for the record, I am a heterosexual female. Looking back, I like to think I was using common sense but I also made some probably not-so-safe decisions at times (walk home alone from bars late at night, accept rides from strangers, meet up with strangers from dating sites, give rides to strangers, etc). Mostly when I made decisions like these, I had been drinking. Online dating is the norm in this day in age. Mostly all of my single friends use Tinder. Just last weekend, one of my really good girlfriends was out drinking with me and my boyfriend and she invited someone she met on Tinder to meet us up at the bar. This is not the first time she has done this.....I am sure she does it when she is alone at the bar too. There are crazy people on any dating app... it doesn't matter if you are straight, gay, black, white, purple, orange.. whatever!
To piggyback your statement on Axis- one of my best girl friends (who happens to be gay) went to Axis a couple weeks ago to ask questions about Joey's disappearance. The person working there had indicated that several people had been ruffied that night that Joey went missing.
Anyways, please don't be offended- I can see where some people's posts may read wrong.. and I understand what you are saying!

No one should be offended. These serial killers are smarter than even the police. That's why they have not been caught in about 20 years. It's not just gay guys being abducted and killed. The point is for everyone to be aware and be safe.

After sleeping on it I kinda fear like we are gonna end up with hate a crime here, and scared it might be violent

There is no way he decided to commit suicide and drown on his own. I won't buy it for a second. But the police will say no sign of foul play and it was suicide or an accidental drowning.

What? Did I miss something? Why are you jumping to this conclusion?

Perhaps you are speculating that others are implying that gay men can't use common sense. I haven't seen any evidence of your speculation in any of these posts. I have seen people speculating on what the possible outcome could be while NOT using common sense. No one here has stated that Joey was or was not using common sense. I have no idea why this notion that gay men have hook-up sex is so insulting to people. A fact is a fact. No matter a persons gender, people have hook-up sex. I can't understand why sexual orientation is such an issue in this discussion. There have been plenty of sources posted here that show that he is known to be gay and to talk to males on meet-up apps. I agree with several others that have stated that if he were known to be straight we wouldn't have all this discussion about his sexual preference. Who cares what his preference is! We are speculating on if this were or weren't a hook-up, regardless of who with. There are a few cruising parks known to be frequented by males in and around this area. I'm positive that Jeffery Dahmers victims weren't all gay, neither John Wayne Gacy. But they both frequented gay areas in search of victims. This could very well be a case similar to those. If Joey was known to frequent gay bars and gay friendly bars, whether he himself is gay or not, someone like Dahmer or Gacy could be frequenting those areas also waiting to jump, kidnap, drug, etc someone who was minding their own business while using common sense. I don't think he willingly got in harms way, I think he unknowingly got in harms way. While using common sense. IMO

No one should be offended. These serial killers are smarter than even the police. That's why they have not been caught in about 20 years. It's not just gay guys being abducted and killed. The point is for everyone to be aware and be safe.

Agreed!!

I'm sure it's Joey. But here's the catch. There is no way he decided to commit suicide and drown on his own. I won't buy it for a second. But the police will say no sign of foul play and it was suicide or an accidental drowning. No way. That's why they need to hire a private investigator NOW!

I agree they do that , I think the sad truth here is budgetary reasons, which in itself is repulsive,but the detective IMO really flubbed his interview.

Basically all I really got from it was violence was involved and he had his ID on him when they located him, which iIwould think might translate to it was not robbery.

And I think we are gonna find he was killed else where and recently dumped where they found a body. There is a boat ramp - maybe back car in and throw - did not have time to submerge.

Which leaves me with a hate crime or violent encounter. Moo

Checking local news websites. I don't see anything new being reported...Just that a body has been found, Joey's family has been contacted and declined to comment. Hopefully the autopsy will be done and reported soon so the family can have closure.

Pretty sure SVU was combing that particular area after a tip or lead. Someone told them to look there . Not buying that the SVU was doing a "routine search"....

Me either Big, like they have funding to be doing this.And for those that live in the area, have their been a lot of these recently, to the point that you would be sending your team out earlier in the morning to start some random search (in the area where they accdinetly found a body) - it did not ring true from the beginning.

If they stated they had a tip , regarding JOey case, and then find a body then....

I think at the end the day, the family, understandably asked for some time, before the media circus starts.

I learned last night and posted that there is not a viewing area - they have to have a funeral parlor already picked before they can see him (which honesstly shocked me( seems pretty calous to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
611CLE