OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. groups motivated by ideology/beliefs can keep a secret and they are very well organized.

I was told last night, the W's are Jehoviahs Witness'. That the church was started by the grandfather and he's a preacher. Could that be extremist enough?

Looks like they left in a bit of a hurry.

My thought exactly.

And why why would a family who lived there for generations, who had established businesses, sell their farm for $10K less than they paid for it and abruptly take off for Alaska?

I know they said they had gotten "high paying jobs up north." That doesn't ring true to me. I am sure there would be a trail if they had been seeking employment, interviewed, and accepted new job offers.

But moving so far away would take months of planning. Not something done in such a hasty manner.

They may have shared what that information with LM in hopes he would persuade his son to be more forthcoming. And again, they didn't make it public, LM did. Reporters simply went to LM to followup on the weekend searches. They have always gone to him because, bless his heart, he doesn't seem to have a speed bump, let alone an on/off valve. I think making it public forced their hand to actually issue the arrest warrant when they asked him to come in and he declined. I was sympathetic towards JM if the reason he was less then forthcoming was fear of being the next one murdered in his sleep. But if the W's really are no longer in town then he should do the right thing.

The W's were free to travel because they have not been named POI. Knowing in your gut of a person's guilt is not enough to issue a warrant or to limit travel. It's a delicate balance to move a case quietly forward without spooking a subject/s who is/are unstable enough to murder an entire family. LE will not want endanger a child. They have said from the beginning there was very little evidence left at the crime scenes so this case is going to be built on the preponderance of circumstantial evidence and hope for a conviction.

Looks like you are correct. Vandalism and Evidence Tampering - must be related to the removal of the GPS tracker.

If that's what those warrants are about than it's bull____. Many will disagree with me but

"government" is already too far up our butt. So it's alright for LE to put a tracking device on

your car, w/o your knowledge, but if you find it, take it off and take a 3 lb hammer to it your guilty

of destroying their property?

I realize many will say "they're only trying to solve a crime" but I say that LE takes their chances

when they bug,put hidden cameras, GPS devices, etc. on peoples property. If these objects are

found and destroyed than chalk it up to "oh well, you can't win them all".

Sorry if this is an unpopular view.

The W's were free to travel because they have not been named POI. Knowing in your gut of a person's guilt is not enough to issue a warrant or to limit travel. It's a delicate balance to move a case quietly forward without spooking a subject/s who is/are unstable enough to murder an entire family. LE will not want endanger a child. They have said from the beginning there was very little evidence left at the crime scenes so this case is going to be built on the preponderance of circumstantial evidence and hope for a conviction.

They could have put GPS trackers on their cars, then arrested them when they found and removed them. Just a thought.

Ok first time seeing they had a church... I'm trying to ask this respectfully....
Is it possible they were part of some type of offshoot fundamentalist sect that would have seen these murders as religiously excused? I guess what I'm trying to say is does there exist in that area some form of religion that would condone the murders of they felt that would help the kids?
The babies are in foster care still, the other two are with their respective surviving parents...
And how/why is JM involved in this?!?!?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

that area is mainly southern baptist, with some evangelicals and Methodists sprinkled in, so generally speaking, no.

however, one can never rule out a cult.

They could have put GPS trackers on their cars, then arrested them when they found and removed them. Just a thought.

Agreed.

Does anyone have an idea of whether or not W's that left town are estranged from or maybe not as close too the rest of their family?

According to CarFax the truck is linked to a St.Paris Ohio trucking company. They haul livestock and grain/feed/hay.

They may have shared what that information with LM in hopes he would persuade his son to be more forthcoming. And again, they didn't make it public, LM did. Reporters simply went to LM to followup on the weekend searches. They have always gone to him because, bless his heart, he doesn't seem to have a speed bump, let alone an on/off valve. I think making it public forced their hand to actually issue the arrest warrant when they asked him to come in and he declined. I was sympathetic towards JM if the reason he was less then forthcoming was fear of being the next one murdered in his sleep. But if the W's really are no longer in town then he should do the right thing.

It's also possible the W's, or whomever the perps may be, still have friends and associates in the general area.

It's also possible the W's, or whomever the perps may be, still have friends and associates in the general area.

I thought of that. I guess I would just like to believe that most people are not capable of murder, even if they are friends with a sociopath. But you're right. You never know.

According to CarFax the truck is linked to a St.Paris Ohio trucking company. They haul livestock and grain/feed/hay.

Additional info :

The name given is a woman and the primary contact for the business. Seems to be husband and wife?

Copied and pasted this about the company:

Its fleet predominantly consists of trucks and tractors.
It runs a highly localized operation and is one of the smallest-scale firms of its type, employing only 2 drivers and recording just 92,000 miles for its 1 vehicle.
It has no safety rating on file.
Also note that it has no recordable crashes on file for 2016.

Additional info :

The name given is a woman and the primary contact for the business. Seems to be husband and wife?

Copied and pasted this about the company:

Its fleet predominantly consists of trucks and tractors.
It runs a highly localized operation and is one of the smallest-scale firms of its type, employing only 2 drivers and recording just 92,000 miles for its 1 vehicle.
It has no safety rating on file.
Also note that it has no recordable crashes on file for 2016.

Did you get this from CarFax? Just curious because I also did Carfax and it didn't give the name. Could you help with which report type you purchased?

Has any other outlet mentioned a church on the property? I'm not saying that there is not a church on the property, but, it may have been on there when they purchased the property. They may be living in what once was a parsonage. I don't think that they have gone to AK. I did at first, and they may still be planning to head that way, but JW recently connected with a new SM friend/likely family member. I'm leaning toward extended family possibly helping them to get out of the limelight for awhile. As OP pointed out, JW is not named as a suspect, he's not on parole, and there is no warrant out for his arrest, so he, and his family, can travel freely. At this point, though, I'm not sure what to make of JW.

I think that was in the article as having came from a statement by a neighbor. I am thinking that statement was about the grandparents farm on Camp Creek Rd.

Did you get this from CarFax? Just curious because I also did Carfax and it didn't give the name. Could you help with which report type you purchased?

I think? I texted the VIN to my husband and said Carfax it. I'll ask which he uses and see if he will do screenshots.

That's my point. They knew. However, they didn't have to make it public. They could have gone there when JM was home, and taken him in, if he couldn't produce the tracker. They didn't have to share info with LM, either. They've spent tens of thousands of dollars on this case and will spend tens of thousands more. A couple hundred dollars to replace a tracker wasn't going to make or break them. They knew it wasn't working and they made going and getting it very public for a reason. Just my take.

bbm
I think so too. I think they are sending a message to JW. Telling him they know about the truck and about the 2:00 AM text, knowing he and company will be reading everything they can find in news media about this after the searches on their property. Telling him they are coming for him. Just like Charlie Reader said.

Bringing this over from the Media & Timelines thread for this case

Link

Timeline:

2012 – AG DeWine issued press release announcing LE had discovered “a major marijuana grow site” in Pike County with suspected ties to a Mexican drug cartel. During the discovery, 1200 plants were destroyed by investigators and two abandoned campsites were located, which they believe had belonged to Mexican nationals.

From <http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?306329-Media-amp-Timeline-NO-DISCUSSION-Pike-Co-OH-8-Family-Members-Murdered>

Feb 2016: Box of marijuana discovered at Piketon Post Office, investigation leads to discovery of "shatter" operation

10 days prior to murders: A Facebook threat is made by a teen saying he will "Go up to Union Hill and take them all out"

4 days prior to murders: Hanna R gives birth

2 days prior to murders: Woman sentenced in road rage incident court case involving Chris Jr.

From <http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?306434-OH-Pike-County-8-people-from-one-family-dead-as-police-hunt-for-killer(s)-5&p=12509140&posted=1#post12509140>

Thursday, 4/21/2016

8am: Dana arrives at work - Hillcrest Nursing Home

11pm: Dana leaves work - Hillcrest Nursing Home - 14 miles away per CNN

Approx 11:20 pm - Dana arrives home

Friday, 4/22/2016

Between 12 am and 7 am - the following were murdered

Bodies found at 3122 UHR: Dana, Hanna Rhoden, Chris Rhoden Jr.
Bodies found at 4077 UHR: Chris Sr. and Gary (3 GSW to head)
Bodies found at 4199 URH: Frankie and Hannah Hazel Gilley
Body found near 799 LFR: Kenneth Rhoden (1 GSW to head)

From <http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?306434-OH-Pike-County-8-people-from-one-family-dead-as-police-hunt-for-killer(s)-5/page55>

7:00 am: Bobby Jo arrives at Chris Sr.'s house. She tells LE she arrived alone.

7:49 am: Bobby Jo calls 911

From <http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?306434-OH-Pike-County-8-people-from-one-family-dead-as-police-hunt-for-killer(s)-5/page57>

7:53 am: PCSO Dep. Music and Dep. Chandler are dispatched to 4077 Union Hill Road in response to the 7:49 911 call.

8:07 am: Dep. Chandler arrived "at a neighboring residence where he was flagged down by a subject. Dep. Chandler advised that he needed multiple ambulances due to multiple down at multiple residences."

8:12 am: Dep. Music, Dep. Ball, and Maj. Evans all arrived "on scene" where they were approached by [Redacted] who stated: "there are two more dead people here." [Redacted] pointed to the residence at 4077 Union Hill.

From <http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?306434-OH-Pike-County-8-people-from-one-family-dead-as-police-hunt-for-killer(s)-5/page57>

8:21 am: PCSO request for assistance sent to BCI (Source CNN -- I will have to fetch a link)
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/22/us/ohi...g-pike-county/

From <http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?306434-OH-Pike-County-8-people-from-one-family-dead-as-police-hunt-for-killer(s)-5/page62>

12:13 pm: at least 4 BCI Crime Scene Unit trucks are seen at the intersection of Hwy 32 and Union Hill Road headed towards the crime scenes. (Source: tweet including a photo made by Gannett Ohio reporter @saranealeigh)

From <http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?306434-OH-Pike-County-8-people-from-one-family-dead-as-police-hunt-for-killer(s)-5/page62>

1:26 pm Friday: Donald Stone calls 911 to report Kenneth's body

1:36 pm -- Ohio AG Mike DeWine issues a press release: 7 people murdered in "execution-style killings"

Saturday, 4/23/2016

3:41am - LE arrives at Bobby Jo Manley's residence to question her; 5 others also questioned

??: Kenny Rhoden (cousin) calls 911 in Greenup Co, KY stating he is being chased by a green Chrysler.

Note: This timeline was put together over a year ago. It hasn't been updated. If you have updates, additions, etc., please post and well create a new, updated version.

Thanks!

:bump:

Just bumping this post to ask for help in updating the timeline. This one was done over a year ago, before some family members talked to the news media.

If you have an update, just respond to this post with the updated information and a news media link for source info. I'll post the new one over in the Media & Timelines thread.

Thanks! :tyou:

Https://twitter.com/hillarylake/status/864561015220047873/photo/1

According to the VIN number, this car was just sold to JM in March 2017.
what could they be looking at it for???

Does it say who he bought it from? Reason I ask is that there's a picture of the actual truck (it's red) sitting in front of LM house. I'm almost positive that it's the same truck that CG is sitting on the hood of looking at the graves in the story that ran right after the funerals in the Cincinnati Enquirer.

So it appears that CG was the owner of the truck at the time of the murders.....

Updates from Chris Graves , Cinci Enquirer

https://twitter.com/chrisgraves

All arraignments -- except James Manley -- are being called into the courtroom #rhoden. @Enquirer

James Manley's lawyer is based out of Chillicothe, Manley's dad says. Unclear if the lawyer is here.

Leonard Manley, James' dad, said he told Pike Co. prosecutor authorities will have to have a search to come on his property.

News media at arraignment

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAB6EvkUMAA1j2L.jpg:large

Looks like they left in a bit of a hurry.

Yeah. As soon as JM told them about the tracking device he found on the truck.

I have thought about this a bit and here are my thoughts. This is based on assumption only. But it makes sense.

LE is turning up the heat, so JW and company decide to pull up stakes and move to the great American outback where many fugitives run to hide, Alaska. He starts selling off property, including the truck. LE is watching sees who purchases it, noting this same purchaser sent a 2:00 AM text to JW the night of the murders (I think we can safely assume this late night/early morning text wasn't about buying a truck) and slips a tracker on it knowing JM is likely to find said tracker. He does and texts/calls JW to tell him. JW sells out throws everything he owns on a trailer and parks it at friends house, then hits the road. LE notes that JW seems to be running so turns up the heat a little more by publicly going to get the tracker and disclosing some confidential information about a failed poly to LM while handing him a sealed warrant (which by the way, why are they handing it to LM since he doesn't own the truck? LE doesn't hand out sealed warrants to just everybody) knowing this would thoroughly P.O. LM who would announce it to the news media and attempt to get his sons story out to the public first. All this done so JW and company can read it in the news. Message sent. We are coming for you.

This assumption is obviously based on the fact that JW sold the truck to JM, which we do not know is true yet. But it fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769