GUILTY OH - Richard, 84, & Gladis Russell, 85, Bellefontaine, 16 Feb 2011

<snip>

The search has been hampered by a lack of specific information about where the bodies may have been discarded.

“The only thing we can go by is the information that we are getting from the perpetrator,” Prine said. “He is real vague on the area in south Georgia that he was in when he discarded the bodies.”

Prine said there were no plans at this time to scale back the search despite media reports to the contrary.

more here

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/search-continues-for-missing-elderly-couple-1093466.html

Driving around with a dead body makes no sense to normal people, but it is not unheard of. Didn't Casey keep Hailey in her trunk for a few days?

A couple of years ago in the summertime, a couple killed a woman in Houston and put her in the trunk of the car. They then left town, ending up in Abilene, Texas several days later. Our local PD was on the lookout for them, and as soon as a cop got near their vehicle he observed disgusting stuff oozing from the trunk. I am told it didn't even look like a person when they opened the trunk. Talk about stupid! Houston to Abilene is a 6 or more hour drive if you don't make any stops. The killers apparently didn't realize how quickly the dead person would decompose in the heat until she was nothing but...mush.

I would imagine that LE should have been able to tell approximately how long he kept the bodies in the vehicle based upon temperatures in the areas he drove and the amount of decompositional fluids left in their vehicle. I'm sorry that is so gross.

I think he took the bodies with him because he would know the Russells hadn't been found by LE yet. I think he was trying to throw LE off and they would concentrate their main search in Ohio desperately trying to find them alive. He dumped the bodies when he felt comfortable enough that he was out of the range they were searching.

I am not sure he knew LE had found his name and number at the Russell home so he may have thought the Russells disappearance would take the heat off of him when it came to Tiffany and the manpower would be used to find the Russells.

It just seems if he knew they had already linked the two cases together he would have immediately gotten rid of the Russells vehicle rather than driving it all the time he was on the run.

Many bodies have been put in trunks and then discarded days or weeks later. Some left in the trunk until found.

One mother rode around for many months with a dead child in her vehicle that she had murdered.

SL's OK with saying he killed the Russells, but he's not OK with revealing the location of their deceased bodies?

Could it be Littleton is thinking that if LE can't find their bodies, then he can't be charged with their murders?

Did a jailhouse lawyer from the Fool's Bar Association advise Littleton this?

If that's the case, then Littleton will find out the hard way that in Ohio, he can be charged with the murder of the Russells and can get the DP for that crime even if their bodies aren’t ever found.

What a complete loser this guy is! :loser:

Could it be Littleton is thinking that if LE can't find their bodies, then he can't be charged with their murders?

If that's the case, then Littleton will find out the hard way that in Ohio, he can be charged with the murder of the Russells and can get the DP for that crime even if their bodies aren’t ever found.

I imagine at first he waived his Miranda rights and confessed.

Now he probably has been assigned a lawyer and the lawyer is telling him to 'shut up.'

IMO

does ohio have the death penalty? I am sure both GA and FLA do.....so if he murdered them in Fla or Ga.....there is a great probability of the death penalty?

I think he took the bodies with him because he would know the Russells hadn't been found by LE yet. I think he was trying to throw LE off and they would concentrate their main search in Ohio desperately trying to find them alive. He dumped the bodies when he felt comfortable enough that he was out of the range they were searching.

I am not sure he knew LE had found his name and number at the Russell home so he may have thought the Russells disappearance would take the heat off of him when it came to Tiffany and the manpower would be used to find the Russells.

It just seems if he knew they had already linked the two cases together he would have immediately gotten rid of the Russells vehicle rather than driving it all the time he was on the run.

Many bodies have been put in trunks and then discarded days or weeks later. Some left in the trunk until found.

One mother rode around for many months with a dead child in her vehicle that she had murdered.
That is the most logical explanation of why he would drive hundreds of miles with their bodies in the car trunk. This would prevent LE in Ohio from finding them deceased close to home instead of searching for them as "missing". I also think it is possible he took their bodies with him in an attempt to get the "heat" off him for Tiffany's death by LE focusing their resources on the missing couple instead. I am glad he didn't succeed if this was his plan. MOO

It's like he is playing a game; by not allowing LE to locate the Russells, he may think he can later withdraw the confession, whereas if he leads them to the bodies, he really can't. I hope he is not getting this advice from a lawyer...that would be a really lousy thing for any lawyer to do, to not allow the family to bury the Russells.

bolded by me..

That is a great point you made....Can that happen??....Can he "withdraw" his confession???....and if the bodies are not found...can he be charged with their murder????....Could the most he could get charged with...(the Russels case) is auto theft...?????....

Perhaps his attorney is telling him to shut his mouth...and working on finding him a way out....

This couple has GOT to be found!!!.....Or he may be able to weasel out of it.
IMO and my :twocents:

I am almost sure he cannot be charged on confession alone. According to forensic professor the evidence is needed. I have been thinking along the same lines that if the bodies are not found then what? He needs to be charged with all of them and he can withdraw is plea and change it if the court permits. There is probably ample reason to allow him to change his plea at this point. It is distressing to know that someone that is looking like the guilty party without question could in fact get off scott free? I want this sewed up and the killer dealt with according to law. It is sickening this guy has got mental gymnastics in motion and for the moment tiring many folks out. :twocents:

bolded by me..

That is a great point you made....Can that happen??....Can he "withdraw" his confession???....and if the bodies are not found...can he be charged with their murder????....Could the most he could get charged with...(the Russels case) is auto theft...?????....

Perhaps his attorney is telling him to shut his mouth...and working on finding him a way out....

This couple has GOT to be found!!!.....Or he may be able to weasel out of it.
IMO and my :twocents:

Yes he can withdraw his confession, it is called recanting. He can say he made the confession under duress, he can say LE made it up or tricked him. He can deny the confession at any point. But as long as LE mirandized him and documented well then usually the confession will still be allowed in court. Perps do this all the time. But the confession will still be used as long as LE followed the law in obtaining it. And as long as the defense doesn't find some loophole to keep it out of court. Perps who try to deny a confession they made doesn't win any points with the jury.

I am almost sure he cannot be charged on confession alone. According to forensic professor the evidence is needed. I have been thinking along the same lines that if the bodies are not found then what? He needs to be charged with all of them and he can withdraw is plea and change it if the court permits. There is probably ample reason to allow him to change his plea at this point. It is distressing to know that someone that is looking like the guilty party without question could in fact get off scott free? I want this sewed up and the killer dealt with according to law. It is sickening this guy has got mental gymnastics in motion and for the moment tiring many folks out. :twocents:

Yeah I think you are right, confession alone won't get him into court. It's main value right now is in the search for the Russell's. For court they also have his possession of the Russell's car, blood in the car, the confession, his flight, and other evidence we probably don't know about. (For instance did he use the Russell's credit cards or ATM cards?) I would guess that they probably have enough to charge him. But it will take longer because of the different states. Also they probably would like to make sure what state the murder occurred in. I think that if they cannot show where the murder occurred, the trial would take place in the county where the bodies are found. Don't know if Ohio can file if the bodies aren't found.

Yes, Ohio has the death penalty.

Yeah Ohio has the death penalty. But does this county have the funds it would take to do a death penalty prosecution? Or would the state chip in do a DP prosecution? I don't know but I believe those are factors that will be considered.

Yeah Ohio has the death penalty. But does this county have the funds it would take to do a death penalty prosecution? Or would the state chip in do a DP prosecution? I don't know but I believe those are factors that will be considered.

I'd pony up a few bucks for a good cause......

I can't find the quote, but didn't he say he left them in a corn field in Valdosta GA? I may be just plain dumb but are there corn fields in south GA?
peanuts, cotton, BUT corn?
I think he is trying to confuse LE.
MOO

I can't find the quote, but didn't he say he left them in a corn field in Valdosta GA? I may be just plain dumb but are there corn fields in south GA?
peanuts, cotton, BUT corn?
I think he is trying to confuse LE.
MOO

IIRC he said he left one in a cotton field and one near a RR track.

Posted on ABC 6's facebook:

"BREAKING NEWS: Family members of the Russell family tell ABC 6/Fox 28 that the body of an elderly man was found in Chattanooga TN. Authorities are using dental records to identify the man, but they say it may be that of Dick Russell."

Posted on ABC 6's facebook:

"BREAKING NEWS: Family members of the Russell family tell ABC 6/Fox 28 that the body of an elderly man was found in Chattanooga TN. Authorities are using dental records to identify the man, but they say it may be that of Dick Russell."

If this turns out to be Mr. Russell, SL is certainly leading authorities on a wild goose chase. Chattanooga, TN is not Valdosta, GA. Unbelievable...SL is just ruthless!

tomwsyx6 Tom Bosco
RUSSELLS SEARCH: TN officials trying to ID body; may be Dick Russell. Spot where body found less than 5mi. from I-75, close to GA/TN border

http://twitter.com/tomwsyx6

If Mr. Russell has been found, I'll have such mixed emotions. On the one hand, I'll be thrilled that he can be buried properly and be given a proper send off. On the other hand, I'll be angry because Sam Littleton has continued to waste everyone's time in misleading searchers with lies and mistruths.

My description of SL yesterday was :loser: and it remains so today. Loser with a capital L.

ETA: Look how many states this idiot has involved!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
becebooboo
Back