GUILTY OH - Robert McKernan, 29, shot to death, Massillon, 31 Dec 2014

OK, I went into this trial with an open mind, knowing little about the case. I didn't like Colleen on the stand, but still hadn't formed an opinion. It was the ten shots fired, and Colleens's anger after the shooting that led me to believe this was not a case of self defense. The Prosecutor's closing was icing on the case. I have no doubt Colleen is guilty of murdering her husband. Pity she was drunk. This most likely would not have happened if both parties were sober.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 16s16 seconds ago
#MckernanTrial - The jury has gone home without reaching a verdict. They will return tomorrow to continue deliberations. #ColleenMcKernan

OK, I went into this trial with an open mind, knowing little about the case. I didn't like Colleen on the stand, but still hadn't formed an opinion. It was the ten shots fired, and Colleens's anger after the shooting that led me to believe this was not a case of self defense. The Prosecutor's closing was icing on the case. I have no doubt Colleen is guilty of murdering her husband. Pity she was drunk. This most likely would not have happened if both parties were sober.

Chelly...glad someone else watching this too...I agree with you....I started thinking maybe self defense but after that state rebuttal just no way...I am a bit concerned that the jury may have at least one hold out...I think the evidence and witnesses are pretty much the same as the first trial...probably come in with a verdict tomorrow. Thanks for the coverage here.

Chelly...glad someone else watching this too...I agree with you....I started thinking maybe self defense but after that state rebuttal just no way...I am a bit concerned that the jury may have at least one hold out...I think the evidence and witnesses are pretty much the same as the first trial...probably come in with a verdict tomorrow. Thanks for the coverage here.

Alan Dershowitz said it years ago talking about the Menendez trial, the Abuse Excuse is not justice. The Snapped TV drama shows current trials about women killing their husbands and boyfriends and claiming battered woman defense almost exclusively. Thank goodness most of these killers are convicted, but a few get away with cold blooded murder. This trend will surely hurt the real victims of battered women. I hope this vicious murderer, Colleen, will be convicted and the judge will throw the book at her.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 38m38 minutes ago
#McKernanTrial - Jurors have gone home on day 2 without reaching a verdict. They will return tomorrow morning at 8:30. #ColleenMcKernan

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 38m38 minutes ago
#McKernanTrial - Jurors have gone home on day 2 without reaching a verdict. They will return tomorrow morning at 8:30. #ColleenMcKernan

Hope this isn't a bad sign of a possible hung jury again. Ohio is a bad state for convicting young women

It clearly means they are not agreeing..in fact questions today may have been thT message to the judge..she then told them to keep trying..I think they will hang again on friday

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 6h6 hours ago
#McKernanTrial - Jury is deadlocked. Judge is reading Allen Charge. #ColleenMcKernan

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 5h5 hours ago
#McKernanTrial - 7-5 split in the first trial. What is the split this time? #ColleenMcKernan

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 26m26 minutes ago
#McKernanTrial - Jurors are deadlocked. They tell the judge they cannot reach a verdict. #ColleenMcKernan

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 26m26 minutes ago
#ColleenMcKernan - Female juror, foreperson, tells judge they will not be able to reach a verdict. Judge declares a mistrial. #McKernanTrial

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 20m20 minutes ago
Cathy Retweeted Christina McCune
#ColleenMcKernan - Everyone will be back on Oct. 7 to discuss plans for a new trial. #McKernanTrial

http://m.indeonline.com/article/20160902/NEWS/160909736/SHARED/160909736

Deadlocked again: Judge declares mistrial in McKernan case, third trial possible

By Christina McCune

Independent staff writer
Posted Sep 2, 2016 at 7:59 PM

CANTON The fate of Colleen McKernan remains unclear after a second trial ended with a hung jury Friday in the shooting death of her husband, Rob, on New Year's Eve 2014.

Jurors deadlocked following more than two days of deliberations in Stark County Common Pleas Court.

Options include a third trial, dismissing the murder charge or a plea agreement with a lesser charge such as involuntary manslaughter. A jury of eight women and four men couldn't reach a verdict on whether McKernan committed murder or defended herself.

One unconfirmed report put the jury vote at 9 to 3 in favor of conviction. Juries must unanimously agree on the verdict.

In last April's trial, jurors deadlocked 7 to 5 in support of a conviction. The first jury was composed of 10 men and two women. Both times, McKernan faced 18 years to life in prison, if convicted.

More at link...

I really thought she would be convicted this time - really disappointing. I doubt they will try her again. Hindsight would have been to charge involuntary manslaughter the 2nd time.

http://m.indeonline.com/article/20160902/NEWS/160909736/SHARED/160909736

Deadlocked again: Judge declares mistrial in McKernan case, third trial possible

By Christina McCune

Independent staff writer
Posted Sep 2, 2016 at 7:59 PM

CANTON The fate of Colleen McKernan remains unclear after a second trial ended with a hung jury Friday in the shooting death of her husband, Rob, on New Year's Eve 2014.

Jurors deadlocked following more than two days of deliberations in Stark County Common Pleas Court.

Options include a third trial, dismissing the murder charge or a plea agreement with a lesser charge such as involuntary manslaughter. A jury of eight women and four men couldn't reach a verdict on whether McKernan committed murder or defended herself.

One unconfirmed report put the jury vote at 9 to 3 in favor of conviction. Juries must unanimously agree on the verdict.

In last April's trial, jurors deadlocked 7 to 5 in support of a conviction. The first jury was composed of 10 men and two women. Both times, McKernan faced 18 years to life in prison, if convicted.

More at link...

I think they should do a plea deal if she will take it ...it does not even sound like it is just one holdout and same with first one.. Only so much taxpayer dollars and time Cavan be e penned on this lowlife

I think they should do a plea deal if she will take it ...it does not even sound like it is just one holdout and same with first one.. Only so much taxpayer dollars and time Cavan be e penned on this lowlife

I agree, she shouldn't get off scott free. She does not seem like she accepts any fault and that is a person I don't trust out on the streets. Something has to be done to make her realize there are consequences to her actions to prevent her from doing this again. I feel very bad for Rob's Mom.

I agree, she shouldn't get off scott free. She does not seem like she accepts any fault and that is a person I don't trust out on the streets. Something has to be done to make her realize there are consequences to her actions to prevent her from doing this again. I feel very bad for Rob's Mom.

word seems to be a 9/3 split for guilty so another trial same witnesses and evidence will probably not yield any different results...manslaughter would be good...she needs to do some time for this...she has been out on bond and agree she still does not accept any responsibility in the failed relationship or the shooting.

Third trial set for Colleen McKernan; dad calls it waste of time, money
Posted Nov 10, 2016 at 4:53 PM; Updated Nov 10, 2016 at 5:53 PM
By Christina McCuneIndependent staff writer

A tentative third trial date of April 3, 2017 has been set for the former Massillon resident accused of shooting her husband to death.

A tentative trial is set for April 3 in Stark County Common Pleas Court. The former Massillon woman is accused of murder for shooting her husband of eight months, Rob McKernan, on New Year's Eve 2014.

The new trial date was scheduled during a closed-door meeting Thursday morning in Judge Chryssa Hartnett's chambers. McKernan is represented by Laura Mills and Max Hiltner.

McKernan remains on house arrest with a family member in Stark County . . . McKernan pays a monthly $450 monitoring fee for her house arrest. . . . .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VictoriaAnn1122
Back