OH OH - Ronald Tammen, 19, Oxford, 19 April 1953

Possible Break In Student's 1953 Disappearance

Last Update: 9:36 pm

Print Story | Email Story

Possible Break In Student's 1953 Disappearance
Ronald Tammen A Local Breaking News Alert now tied to a missing Tri-State college student.

It's a possible break in a case that dates back 50 years and is the source of many ghost stories on the campus of Miami University.

19-year-old business major Ronald Tammen vanished from the old Fisher Hall in April of 1953. His bed was made and one of his textbooks was open on his desk. No-one has seen him since.

About a week ago, a cold case detective in northern Georgia made contact with Oxford Police and the Butler County Sheriff's Department. That detective wanted to talk about the body of a man found in his jurisdiction a month after Ronald Tammen went missing.

Butler County's Cold Case Squad is now comparing notes with that detective. A connection could possibly make clear the mystery of Tammen's disappearance.
http://www.local12.com/content/brea...ntent_id=790a05d8-d045-4f3a-b2c6-bcf4c49bf891

Wow, thanks for the update. I've been watching this one for a long time and usually check Google News for updates but the last time I looked was about 2 weeks ago. That would be wonderful if they could solve this!

I looked on Doenetwork's unidentifieds but did not see this entry in GA in the 50's. I wonder if the body had any clothing or jewelry with it that could help ID him?

I wonder what some reasons are to have ones blood tested, expecting surgery would be one, giving blood another...

O is one of the most common types of blood in the US, and is considered to be the "universal donor" type.

O is the most common blood type in people of European descent (so-called 'Caucasians') which indeed comprises the majority of the population in North America. Only O- (the most common O type) is true universal donor though. O+ can be given to any other group except O- which means people with O- can give blood to anyone but can only receive O- themselves.

Another reason for finding out the blood type, might be if you wanted to donate blood for someone. Or if you wanted to sell your blood.

Good call, back in the 1950's it was still common for students to sell their blood as a source of extra income.

Good call, back in the 1950's it was still common for students to sell their blood as a source of (modest) extra income.

It seems that if students sold their blood the test would probably be done at that establishment where they are having it drawn. Even the doctor stated it was the first time any one had come in just for that purpose.

I wonder if he was suffering from some kind of paranoia and kept it very well hidden.

I also wonder if the original report included what was said when Ronald went to see the doctor. Did the doctor ask him what is prompting the test?

shame on the police for throwing away the case file................

Well he was legally an adult and although the circumstances of his vanishing are unusual there was no real evidence of foul play so LE had very little to go on. Also one must keep in mind that sometimes in such decades old cases some significant details that could shed some light on the event are forgotten over time. It is always useful to try and determine if an old event was considered a great mystery at the time it occurred or if it only gained that status over time in a manner that is sometimes referred to as Bermuda Triangle effect.

This occurs when a significant detail pertaining to an "unexplained" event that could help explain the event is left out of the story usually because it wasn't published in the original incident reports, for a variety of reasons. Because of this these details are sometimes left out of the official case file because someone simply neglected to put it there. I'm not saying this is what happened with the Tammen case, only that it should be taken into consideration. For example Tammen may have had personality traits or a family situation that didn't make it to the case file, among other possibilities, that could help in explaining what happened or Tammen's possible motivations for wanting to disappear if that's what happened.

http://www.kypost.com/content/wcposhared/story.aspx?content_id=0a4615d3-d2d3-4e1f-a443-cf060b16ea80

A Butler County cold case team is working with detectives in Georgia in hopes of finding a Miami University student who disappeared in April 1953.

Ronald Tammen was 19-years-old when he disappeared.

The Air Force ROTC sent 400 men out to search the countryside for him.

Detectives are working to see if a body found in Georgia a month after Tammen disappeared is him.

The body found in Georgia was never identified.

pic

http://www.kypost.com/content/wcposhared/story.aspx?content_id=0a4615d3-d2d3-4e1f-a443-cf060b16ea80

A Butler County cold case team is working with detectives in Georgia in hopes of finding a Miami University student who disappeared in April 1953.

Ronald Tammen was 19-years-old when he disappeared.

The Air Force ROTC sent 400 men out to search the countryside for him.

Detectives are working to see if a body found in Georgia a month after Tammen disappeared is him.

The body found in Georgia was never identified.

pic

Also, here is his thread from the Cold Cases category. There is more info in this thread too in case anyone wants to read up on the case.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31201

What is most interesting to me is the suspicion that an Ohio student disappeared in April and may have been found in Georgia almost 3 months later and already decomposing. And that all happened 55 years ago. This one helps to make the case for the need for DNA testing on all unidentified persons.

This article contains some info on the clothing found on the unidentified and clothing found nearby.

The body found was described as 5 feet 9 inches tall, weighing 155 to 160 pounds, dark brown hair, long slender fingers, long arms, about 25 to 30 years old. He was wearing a T-shirt and a pair of shorts.

A suitcase of military clothing was found in the vicinity and the man was wearing a pair of "GI" socks, according to the newspaper account.

http://www.western-star.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2008/01/17/hjn011808missingfoloinside.html

I am wondering if he didn't leave Oxford voluntarily, maybe picked up some clothing at a surplus store and then was killed- maybe hitchhiking. Army surplus stores were common in the 70's, but I don't know if they were around in the 50's. Still a serviceman could have given his uniforms to the Salvation Army or other relief org after leaving the service.

When I discussed him going to a distant doctor and asking about his blood type, what I was thinking was in college he would have been studying some sciences. I wondered if maybe he knew his parents blood types, and in studying them if perhaps he found out that for example: Mom was one blood type (maybe A) and Dad was another type (maybe B) and maybe his type was a totally different type. In studying that he could have come to the conclusion that his Dad wasn't his Dad. In the 50's, an illigetimate baby was a disgrace for the mother and the child was often called bad names. Plus if he had grown up thinking that the Dad was his father, he would maybe think he had been lied to all his life. That could have preyed on his mind. Or maybe he found out he was adopted? Maybe he came to the conclusion that college, the life his parents wanted for him felt like a lie- he wanted to "find" himself, etc??? If he left voluntarily, I feel that Psychology book being open means something but I don't know what.

Fraternity prank is a good theory, but the distance between where he disappeared from and the area he may have been found kinda rules that out.

This article talks about the search for Ronald

~snip~

A body was found in the Walnut Grove area in Walker County in late June 1953. The remains were never identified and the case remained unsolved.

Now investigators are wondering if it could be 19-year-old Ronald Tammen Jr., a sophomore who disappeared from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, in April 1953.

The plan is to use technology that was unavailable in the 1950s to perform DNA tests on the remains and compare the results to DNA from Tammen’s living siblings, Walker County Sheriff Steve Wilson said.

If there is a match, the case would be upgraded to an active homicide investigation, he said.

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_...&pnpID=730&NewsID=870163&CategoryID=3511&on=1

On the other hand, maybe he was getting someone to do a paternity test.

I'd wait to see if these two match before I speculate, but yes in the 50s there were certainly military surplus stores. A Google search finds an article in the Christian Science Monitor from as far back as 1919 about these businesses. So it would have been possible to pick up "military clothing" so far as fatigues, socks, etc. but probably most likely not dress uniform. If there was dress uniform in the suitcase it was most likely not surplus but a soldier.

If the match does not pan out - given that the Korean War ended in late July, 1953, it is as likely as anything that the UID was a recently discharged vet. It would not take long to become "badly decomposed" in July in Georgia.

On the other hand, maybe he was getting someone to do a paternity test.

I'd wait to see if these two match before I speculate, but yes in the 50s there were certainly military surplus stores. A Google search finds an article in the Christian Science Monitor from as far back as 1919 about these businesses. So it would have been possible to pick up "military clothing" so far as fatigues, socks, etc. but probably most likely not dress uniform. If there was dress uniform in the suitcase it was most likely not surplus but a soldier.

If the match does not pan out - given that the Korean War ended in late July, 1953, it is as likely as anything that the UID was a recently discharged vet. It would not take long to become "badly decomposed" in July in Georgia.

Bluecat, regarding the paternity test. Back in the 50's, when it was unpopular for women to be unwed mothers, wouldn't it have been odd for someone to be accusing him of paternity (whereby he would be getting someone to take a paternity test) without having followed up with his family for financial support?

You mean after over a year they still do not know if this unidentified person is Tammen or not?

Bluecat, regarding the paternity test. Back in the 50's, when it was unpopular for women to be unwed mothers, wouldn't it have been odd for someone to be accusing him of paternity (whereby he would be getting someone to take a paternity test) without having followed up with his family for financial support?

Paternity tests (as we know them today matching DNA samples) did not exist back in 1953. About the only thing that could be done was to compare the baby's blood type with that of the suspected father. In some cases, he might be eliminated as a possibility, but it could never positively identify anyone.

http://www.uwire.com/2008/01/18/police-reo...iami-u-mystery/

Police reopen 54-year-old Miami U. mystery
January 18th, 2008 by Caroline Briggs
Source: Miami Student
Remains found in Georgia have reopened the cold trail of Ronald Henry Tammen, who mysteriously disappeared from his Miami University dormitory 54 years ago.

The Butler County Sheriff’s Department is working in conjunction with Walker County Sheriff’s Department of Georgia and the Oxford Police Department, according to Butler County’s Sgt. Monte Mayer.

The remains found in Georgia are dated to the same spring as Tammen’s April 19, 1953 disappearance, Mayer said.

“This is certainly a good lead that requires some following through,” he said. “But many cold cases have hundreds, if not thousands of leads. We know it was a body buried in the 50s.”

According to Mayer, Detective Frank Smith, Butler County’s cold case investigator, is handling the case by working with Georgia regarding identification of the remains found, as well as gathering up all known information of Tammen.

More answers may link 1953 cold case to Georgia remains
Miami University student vanished from his dorm room over 50 years ago; now investigators want to find out if skeletal remains are his
RELATED: Cold case reopened | Video | Photos
Click-2-Listen
By Lauren Pack

Staff Writer

Friday, January 18, 2008

HAMILTON — When Walker County, Ga., Sheriff's Capt. Mike Freeman received a quick "hit" from Butler County on a 55-year-old cold case in his county, he thought right away, "We need a lot more answers."

Through research on the Internet and old clippings from the Walker County Messenger, Freeman learned about both the case of Ronald Tammen, a 19-year-old Miami University sophomore missing since April 1953, and a badly decomposed body found in a wooded area of northeast Georgia in July 1953.

What's Freeman's gut feeling? Are they the same person?

"It's worth a second look. It's worth a third look," Freeman said.

When asked the same questions, Frank Smith of the Butler County Sheriff's Office, who is working the case along with the Oxford Police Department, said with a smile, "There are a lot of similarities."

"We are in the very early stages right now," Freeman said, noting forensic evidence may eventually prove whether the body is Tammen. But first he has to locate a more complete investigation file from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the unidentified body may have to be exhumed from is resting place of almost 55 years.

According to the July 1, 1953, edition of the Walker County Messenger, the body of a white man was found in clump of bushes near U.S. 27 about five miles south of LaFayette.

Freeman noted that in 1953 there was no interstate system, but U.S. 27 also runs through Oxford.

Another reason to suspect a link, Smith noted, "is because of the characteristics of the body."

The body found was described as 5 feet 9 inches tall, weighing 155 to 160 pounds, dark brown hair, long slender fingers, long arms, about 25 to 30 years old. He was wearing a T-shirt and a pair of shorts.

A suitcase of military clothing was found in the vicinity and the man was wearing a pair of "GI" socks, according to the newspaper account.

Tammen, a graduate of Maple Heights High School in suburban Cleveland, was 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighed 175 pounds.

He was last seen about 8:30 p.m. April 19, 1953, when he was issued fresh sheets because someone had put a fish in his bed.

Tammen was enrolled in the U.S. Navy ROTC program, was a varsity wrestler, a member of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity and played bass in a local dance band.

Theories through the years have ranged from amnesia and foul play to the possibility that Tammen ran away to avoid the draft.

Smith said there is no indication Tammen met his demise in Oxford or Butler County. He just simply vanished into the night, leaving everything behind.

There were no signs of a struggle in his room, and kidnapping was dismissed because there was no ransom note or demands for money.

Despite investigations, including by the FBI, there were never any confirmed sightings of Tammen.

Freeman said if the remains prove to be Tammen's, "I will then have to find out what happened to him. That won't be easy.

"I would love to resolve his demise," he added. "Many people are dead and gone now, but it still matters. It matters to someone."

Contact this reporter at (513) 820-2168 or lpack@coxohio.com.

http://www.oxfordpress.com/n/content/oh/st...foloinside.html

Hi
They need to probably check this DNA with Mr Bones in Pennsylvania also.I was looking for a connection with Mr Bones and the Boy in the box found in 1957.

suzanne

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?
Back