GUILTY OH - Steubenville Rape Case, 11 Aug 2012 #2

I got pulled away and missed it all. What time do they start in the morning?

Salem

:furious:This is beyond sick. I can't stand to look at those photos of these boys smirking while they are in court defending themselves against a rape charge. WTH is wrong with kids today?

Imagine how often something likes this happens everywhere and no one knows but a bunch of snickering punks watching the twitter/tumbler/fb feed?:furious:

I'm so glad this is getting a national platform, I just wish more people were taking notice. I'm sputtering my typing trying to express my outrage, how in the world can these young people do this to each other? If social media had been around when I was younger there would have been many more guys like this in the sex offender registry. I hate that they can post this chit, but I am happy they were caught.

This poor girl will have to know this was her when this case becomes a cautionary tale for kids. I hope she finds peace and grows above and beyond this, a night of teenage partying should never come to this. WTH!!!:banghead:

As minors, unfortunately. They should have been tried as adults but because they are some bigwig football players and the whole community is interconnected, they managed to remain minors.

These boys KNEW what they were doing was wrong. It was wrong of every kid that came into contact with them that night to laugh and carry on like this was okay. It so pizzes me off that not one person called the cops or a parent or somebody for help.

Not one.................. :mad:

Salem

I got pulled away and missed it all. What time do they start in the morning?

Salem

http://www.wtov9.com/news/news/day-2-teen-rape-trial-wraps/nWsL8/

Article here says court will start at 9:00 EDT (after lasting all the way until 8:30 pm EDT today, take that Arizona!)

Are they being tried as adults or minors?

From this article the accused are being charged as juveniles.:furious:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-crime-ohiobre92c0vt-20130313,0,5815447.story

If convicted, Mays and Richmond could have to stay at a juvenile detention facility until they turn 21 and then have to register as sex offenders.

As minors, unfortunately. They should have been tried as adults but because they are some bigwig football players and the whole community is interconnected, they managed to remain minors.

These boys KNEW what they were doing was wrong. It was wrong of every kid that came into contact with them that night to laugh and carry on like this was okay. It so pizzes me off that not one person called the cops or a parent or somebody for help.

Not one.................. :mad:

Salem

I completely agree. It's also incredible that the boys' coach knew about it:
By the following day Mays’s seemed more confident after having spoken to his team football coach Reno Saccocio.
In a text sent on August 14 he claimed: ‘I got Reno he took care of it an ain’t **** gonna happen even if they did take it to court.’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2293596

And the party where all the teens got wasted was attended (or hosted) by an asst. football coach at the high school (Coach Belardine).
Last August, about 50 teens attended a party at the home of a high school girl and her older brother, who is a Steubenville assistant football coach.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/highschool--steubenville-rape-trial-divides-ohio-town-052958178.html

Last week Ohio AG says that more charges could be brought against other teens that witnessed or knew about the rape. But I wonder why the adult coaches who should be role-models aren't facing charges.

It's really a shame that this poor girl has been victimized several tiimes in one night and now she and her young friends are too embarassed to be able to publicly stand up for themselves. It is a double-edged sword that really hinders a lot of victims from coming forward. Because not only are you a victim, you have to be ashamed to be a victim. The sadness is that society will likely victimize victims even more by playing the blame the victim game. It is my understanding that this girl has been subjected to intense ridicule at the hands of some at her school and on social media throughout this process in addition to what happened to her that night.

The difference is that she made a stupid mistake that hurt no one else.

These boys made several stupid mistakes that hurt this girl, her family, her friends, their own families, the reputation of their town, their school and all of their friends.

I was raped about 20 years ago by a guy I trusted and had drinks with. I was told they couldn't prosecute even though I had bruises on me and went to the police right away once I escaped. They said it was his word against mine, and the bruises could be attributed to "rough sex." The saddest part for me was that the prosecutors said they totally believed me and they thought he was scum of the earth, but they had just lost several similar cases in a row and were under pressure not to prosecute date rapes because it was a waste of their resources when they couldn't win convictions.
:furious:

It's heartwrending. Unfortunately, a lot of girls/women use a rape allegation as a way to get back at someone. The public opinion has become set against rape victims. While I believe the number of false rape reports are a lot less than real rape reports, or unreported rapes these false reporters make it much harder and more humiliating to real victims. It's sickening.

:furious:This is beyond sick. I can't stand to look at those photos of these boys smirking while they are in court defending themselves against a rape charge. WTH is wrong with kids today?

Imagine how often something likes this happens everywhere and no one knows but a bunch of snickering punks watching the twitter/tumbler/fb feed?:furious:

I'm so glad this is getting a national platform, I just wish more people were taking notice. I'm sputtering my typing trying to express my outrage, how in the world can these young people do this to each other? If social media had been around when I was younger there would have been many more guys like this in the sex offender registry. I hate that they can post this chit, but I am happy they were caught.

This poor girl will have to know this was her when this case becomes a cautionary tale for kids. I hope she finds peace and grows above and beyond this, a night of teenage partying should never come to this. WTH!!!:banghead:

What absolutely mystifies me is that nobody said anything or called the police.

Are they being tried as adults or minors?

Minors. As one protester's sign put it; Graffiti is a juvenile crime, rape is not. IIRC, the person who decided it was going to be a minors trial has connections to the team through her son. She recused herself after her son was mentioned in reports, but she had enough time (2 weeks I believe) to do a lot of damage control. She should have recused herself right away because her son was on the football team. Also, IIRC, the family was told by this person, when they came and reported it, that if they filed charges their daughters name and their names would be dragged though the mud by the media and to let her handle it.

http://www.wtov9.com/news/news/day-2-teen-rape-trial-wraps/nWsL8/

Article here says court will start at 9:00 EDT (after lasting all the way until 8:30 pm EDT today, take that Arizona!)

From this article the accused are being charged as juveniles.:furious:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-crime-ohiobre92c0vt-20130313,0,5815447.story

At least they'll have to register as sex offenders for the rest of their lives. That's not much, but at least it's something.

All of the above is just my opinion.

http://austinisafecker.wordpress.co...and-steubenvilles-incestuous-legal-community/

...If you have been following the Steubenville rape story, you will know that Jane Hanlin is the mother of Charlie Keenan – an alleged member of the Steubenville Rape Crew. Charlie Keenan has been offered a scholarship at Kent State, and a few days ago Kent State stated on Facebook that would be looking closely at the outcome of this case. Jane Hanlin was also the Prosecuting Attorney in the rape case, until she decided two weeks later that there was a conflict of interest. Ya think???...

It's heartwrending. Unfortunately, a lot of girls/women use a rape allegation as a way to get back at someone. The public opinion has become set against rape victims. While I believe the number of false rape reports are a lot less than real rape reports, or unreported rapes these false reporters make it much harder and more humiliating to real victims. It's sickening.

Steely Dan, some statistics show that while an average of 54% of rapes go unreported, only about 2-8% of those reported are considered false (check wikipedia on False Rape Reports for a quick hit). http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/reporting-rates

I think you have a great deal of compassion for survivors of sexual assault, and I hope that you can help others to see that it is basically a myth that "a lot" of false reports are made about rape, especially considering that more than half of all rapes that occur are never reported. To me, that says "a lot" of victims suffer in silence, likely including for reasons related to shame and pain over reporting in our victim-blaming social and legal culture.

http://austinisafecker.wordpress.co...and-steubenvilles-incestuous-legal-community/

...If you have been following the Steubenville rape story, you will know that Jane Hanlin is the mother of Charlie Keenan – an alleged member of the Steubenville Rape Crew. Charlie Keenan has been offered a scholarship at Kent State, and a few days ago Kent State stated on Facebook that would be looking closely at the outcome of this case. Jane Hanlin was also the Prosecuting Attorney in the rape case, until she decided two weeks later that there was a conflict of interest. Ya think???...

:furious: This is a sick and twisted community...I cannot find the words to truly express my outrage at all involved.

Tried as minors eh? GMAFB

I wrote a huge reply about this...and it disappeared.
This is a sick twisted religious town. I have a 'friend' who is an 'esteemed ' educator at the college...you know which college im talking about...he blames the girl. He is a father of 8!!! I was stunned. Ruined our 20+ years of friendship....

Please let there be justice for this girl....

:furious: This is a sick and twisted community...I cannot find the words to truly express my outrage at all involved.

Tried as minors eh? GMAFB

Sick and twisted is an understatement. This place is beyond creepyville. Moo.

I wrote a huge reply about this...and it disappeared.
This is a sick twisted religious town. I have a 'friend' who is an 'esteemed ' educator at the college...you know which college im talking about...he blames the girl. He is a father of 8!!! I was stunned. Ruined our 20+ years of friendship....

Please let there be justice for this girl....

BBM. The bolded part is what is scary about this. I have read over and over in comment sections, articles, etc. that townspeople say don't blame the whole town. But so many adults and children knew this happened. The steubenville news said there were going to be 60 witnesses testifying. SIXTY!?! Jmo There is something wrong with this town. With that many people, and there are probably many more, that knew what happened, no one went to LE. Eighteen people showed up for the high schools' discussion of teen sexual activity and definition of rape.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/la-na-steubenville-rape-20130310,0,2439757.story

I read this yesterday and it summed up my feelings pretty well.

"Im super disappointed in so many of you *advertiser censored* shaming a girl who was sexually assaulted when she was passed out drunk.

Its not as some of you put it “Blaming the sharks when a person jumps into a shark tank”. The only way that is true is if ALL MEN RAPE WOMEN ALWAYS. How dare a girl, who thought that she was surrounded by friends who would protect her, drink alcohol.

Reevaluate your views on life. Too many people blame the victims. I hope nothing like this ever happens to you, your daughter, your sister, your friends and you dont have to learn that the hard way.

If she cant say yes, thats a no."
Phillip defranco

No wonder LE went after the Coach's electronics...I am sure they were looking for pictures that he received as well. I hope there is a Grand Jury investigation going on regarding the adults here.

I am glad her "friends" are being named. The text that bothered me the most was one sent by her former boy friend (iirc) saying he saw her naked and puking in the street but there was nothing he could do, but he felt really bad-huh?

this wasnt peer pressure-this was calloused indifference. And Mays contacting her father....good for Dad for responding...always keep them talking.

MC called up this morning, was pleading 5th on all questions, including his age, then was granted immunity by judge. - per Eric Minor, News9. Thinks other two witnesses from prelim will get same deal.

:clap: :clap:

Well said!! I couldn't agree more. This case absolutely sickens me. :( I feel
SO BAD for the victim.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members