OH - Thomas Truelson, Jessica Coleman for murder of newborn, Columbia Twp, 4 Feb 1999

I posted a link about a 14 year old girl who had given birth and then killed her baby just a few days ago. I had mostly responses saying that a 14 year old is not capable of understanding that what she did was wrong. Now this girl was 15 when she killed her baby and everyone is saying it is so awful. I agree that it was awful but I also think the case of the 14 year old is not much different. Yet people stood up for the younger girl?

This is a prime example that the opportunity to leave an infant at any fire station, police station, ect. is not being publicized enough. Guilt, shame and ignorance. For goodness sake, teach these kids what to do if they get in trouble.

I saw that interview with Jessica on Oprah. The whole time I was watching her, I felt absolutely no pity. Until she got caught, she didn't show remorse. She had 6 years free, knowing what she did to her own baby. She never even visited the baby's grave.

Also- why did Oprah not address the skull fracture that the baby had? That was important.

mel36 said:
She did not get herself pregnant, so is the boyfriend being held responsible? what about her parents she was 15 years old like it or not they were responsible for her wellbeing! The parents of that boy were no better it seems nobody wants to raise responsible young men anymore either. The whole world is going nuts. something screams pyscho about this whole issue am I the only one that see's it. when there is a 15 year old that is starved we are jumping up and down wanting the parents to be held responsible but if a 15 year old trys to make adult decisions with a childs mind fuled by God only knows by what that is going on at home then there are major problems society has to get it through thier heads that kids are not done being kids until their brains say they are, and we can all agree that not all 30 year old men and women are at the same maturity. I am all for this woman and man being punished for the murder of this baby, but the parents need to take responsibility for thier part or lack of thier part in this situation even if its just to acknowledge wrong doing. :twocents:
Uhh...the parents don't need to acknowledge wrongdoing. THEY didn't stab & beat a newborn baby to death...SHE did. They didn't know she was pregnant. She hid the pregnancy from her family and friends. Nothing indicates that the parents did anything wrong at all! For all we know, she could've been brought up in a loving, stable home. She was 15 years old & her and her boyfriend ALONE are responsible for this. Nobody else.

I'd like to hear from others who saw the Oprah interview. What did you think of her? I personally saw NO remorse for the baby and what she did to him. Her story was full of holes... She feels sorry for what happened to her.. NEVER did I see anything that indicated she was sorry for the baby boy that (I believe) was born ALIVE, and that she murdered. She continutally said "I want to help young girls who might be in my situation that don't know what to do. I want to help them so that they don't ruin their lives like I ruined mine ". Not "I want to help people so they don't murder their baby, thereby ruining the baby's life". She feels very sorry for herself.

She says that the baby never took a breath... but if you watched her closely- she was really squirming while telling that part. I watched it after I recorded it, and played certain parts over and over. Every time she said that the baby didn't 'make any noise.. or "move on its own"... she looked down and closed her eyes. Every time. I think it is one of her facial cues that she was lying.

ETA: I just went to Oprah.com and was reading the messages posted there about the show and Jessica. Very interesting posts there. Many people there are posting that they knew Jessica, and about her behavior during the pregnancy and after the murder. I would suggest that anyone interested in this story go read that message board. Very enlightening.

I agree with you MsSheila. The young woman is only sorry that she was caught, she was telling, while under the influence of alcohol, her current BF what she & the exBF had done, was overheard at the bar & then an anonymous tip was called into the Detective.

Her values are seriously warped. The sentence should have been much longer, IMO. I suspect that her performance on Oprah will be used in the future as a ploy to decrease the time in prison so she can help others, yea, right. She's a sicko, proud to show herself on a TV show but too ashamed to give a child to a loving family & I feel sorry for her parents for all their hard work was rejected by their daughter, the same for the exBF. You could tell she was raised to know right from wrong, she is the epitome of selfish, rotten & PHONY.

I wasn't buying it either. I know fake tears when I see them. I am very curious about the fractured skull though. However, I am not sure the baby was born alive. Only because I can't imagine the baby being born alive when the boyfriend reported jumped up and down on Jessica's stomach while she was pregnant. I think that is where the fractured skull came from. I think the both of them got off easy. What a horrific crime. I really can't believe her current boyfriend is staying by her side.

According to the story being told, the child was delivered in the toliet which could be an indication of where the fractured skull occurred. The only reason for the stabbing was that the child was alive & she damn well knew it.

You say it correct, Masterj, FAKE TEARS.

As far as our Justice System, I am disappointed in it & the inconsistency daily. I find it to be more of a welfare/employment system for attorneys.

Masterj said:
....What a horrific crime. I really can't believe her current boyfriend is staying by her side.
It is truely amazing. On one hand, I understand unconditional love - and have the ability to care about people no matter what they do... but caring about them and being physically around them - are two different things. For example: I have an ex boyfriend who stole jewelry from me to pawn for drugs. I write to him in prison (I pressed charges) because I've known him since 1980 - and the first letter I wrote him said "I love you. I will always love you.... but I never want to see you again."

On the other hand - I know people are sometimes lonely and feel they "need" someone in their lives - to take care of, to care about - something. Somehow, she must fill some kind of emotional need in him, and unhealthy or not, I guess it's not that unusual. People stay with abusers, women marry serial killers in prison - I don't understand it, but there must be some psychological need being met is all I can think of.

altruist1000 said:
According to the story being told, the child was delivered in the toliet which could be an indication of where the fractured skull occurred. The only reason for the stabbing was that the child was alive & she damn well knew it.

You say it correct, Masterj, FAKE TEARS.

As far as our Justice System, I am disappointed in it & the inconsistency daily. I find it to be more of a welfare/employment system for attorneys.
I agree with everything you say here - except I'm trying to vision how being birthed over a toilet could give you a skull fracture. Babies heads are SO pliable at this time that I think it would be hard to fracture the skull by something like that. The birth canal is so close to the toilet that it would more likely just touch it, bump it, or something. She'd have to be hanging off the ceiling or standing on the toilet (I would assume) to give it the force to be that much of an injury. Either way, though - since I don't know for sure, that's a heck of a place to have a baby.

She claims to have passed out on top of him after the birth. I felt like her story was very inconsistent. For example, she stabbed him b/c he was in pain yet she said he was born dead. Any idiot can tell a dead baby from a live one so I think that part was a lie.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back