OH - Three students killed in Chardon High School shooting, 27 Feb 2012

Prayers for all involved; the students, the teachers, the parents, LE...lots of prayers.

Students are reporting that two kids were involved in the shooting, per Fox. Have just released those who walk to/from school to go home.

Best-
Herding Cats

Medina police are sending patrol officers to all Medina City Schools Monday morning, hours after a shooting at Chardon High School.
Chief of Police Patrick Berarducci said the officers were deployed as a show of force and a precautionary measure.
Beraducci wants officers visible at all Medina schools.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...rs-to-schools-for-show-of-force#ixzz1nb29NrME

slightly o/t : I grew up near Medina...

Medina police are sending patrol officers to all Medina City Schools Monday morning, hours after a shooting at Chardon High School.
Chief of Police Patrick Berarducci said the officers were deployed as a show of force and a precautionary measure.
Beraducci wants officers visible at all Medina schools.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...rs-to-schools-for-show-of-force#ixzz1nb29NrME

slightly o/t : I grew up near Medina...

Thanks for posting that, nursie. We have school resource officers in all the middle and high schools here. They used to have them in the elementary schools, but they were taken out a few years ago because of budget cuts.

A teacher chased the gunman out of the building. 5 victims, 4 boys, 1 girl (from press conference). Victims found in 3 separate places inside the school.

CNN now reporting that some of the students that were shot went to a different high school (Auburn?)

Some of the Chardon students were waiting for a bus that transports them to Auburn Career Center for some of their classes.

I am local and watching coverage.

I did hear a girl say live on WEWS that the shooter tweeted last night, but that the kids thought he was joking, they never dreamed he was serious. Other male student interviewed also confirmed.

WEWS saying 2 victims at Hillcrest Hospital, 3 at Metro, making 5 overall- reports all morning were 4, but press conference just held said 5

Suspected gunman is in custody and being processed at Geauga County Safety Center.

Automatic calls went out to parents

[Udpated 10:34 a.m.] Law enforcement officials say they received reports that a teacher chased the shooter at Chardon High School out of the building.

[Updated 10:31 a.m. ET] There are five victims of the shooting at a Chardon High School in surburban Cleveland, law enforcement officials said.

Shooting in Chardon Ohio high school. Five victims. 2 life flight to Metro, 2 in Hillcrest, one in U.H., 17 year old gunman in custody.

newsnet5.com

A few quick observations:

Chardon is typical many ways of what we have seen in other mass school shootings...it is the kind of safe suburban community where you wouldn't think something like this would happen.

My stepdaughter used to live near Chardon and has friends at CHS. I haven't talked to her yet today, and I'm hoping her friends are safe. When Columbine happened it was far away and my son was a baby. When this happens closer to home and you have teens, it is 1000% scarier. I can't wait for my son to get off the bus today even though we're about 30 minutes away from Chardon.

My friend's teenage daughter who is in a virtual school keeps getting calls on her cellphone from the Chardon autodialer emergency system. They don't live in Chardon so it's obviously a wrong number, and it's making her crazy.

WKYC reporting another press conference will be held at noon with more details.

He said the student was chased out of the building by a teacher and then turned himself in to two innocent bystanders in Chardon Township.
McKenna said the suspect is in custody and being held at the Geauga County Safety Center.
Geauga County Sheriff Daniel McClelland said victims were shot in three different locations and a handgun was used in the shooting.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...-heading-to-chardon-high-school#ixzz1nbB5lTJu

--------

On FOX they keep picking up interviews from students leaving the school. One boy actually named the shooter on camera (I won't post it here) but this boy knew the shooter.

Also, FOX is reporting that the girl is in stable condition - shot in the butt (probably running away).

FOX reporting that 3 of the victims are now in critical condition.

Prayers for them and their families.

This is the next town over from me. This is a very rural area. It's about 10 minutes, by car. The news reports we keep getting keep shifting, regarding the number of students hurt. Up to 4, as of 3 minutes ago.

I just got a call from my daughter's school, and they are on lockdown. They didn't give any specific reason why, and that upsets me. This is 3 hours after this shooting in Chardon, and the shooter (a Chardon high school student) apparently gave himself up without incident. So why, 3 hours later, are they putting another school on lockdown? I tried to call the Board of Ed (as the recording told me to do if I had questions), but it only goes to voicemail.

I am seriously thinking of going out to buy a police/fire/ems scanner.

FOX reporting that 3 of the victims are now in critical condition.

Prayers for them and their families.

I did my nursing clinicals at metro (where 3 were life flighted).. I think the critical cases most likely went there (re: 3) :-(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back