Identified! OH - Trumbull Co., BlkMale UP4727, 47-65, Mosquito Lake, Jul'06 - Gregory Griffin

Just some thoughts.....a lot of people camp at Mosquito Lake...I know we did when I was a kid....people from Cleveland, Youngstown, Akron area and others I'm sure.

So about the lack of clothes....could he have possibly been walking around in shorts or swim trunks? Would wet swim trunks degrade faster than other clothing? Someone wearing only swim trunks at a campground with a lake wouldn't really make you look twice and it would explain the lack of underwear and other clothing.

If he was found in July and the remains had been there 6-8 months that's odd though...six to eight months earlier would be somewhere between November and January. Not prime camping months. But it does lead me to another random thought....could he have been walking somewhere (hiking, car broke down, etc.) and gotten disoriented and suffered from hypothermia? I have heard that in cases of severe hypothermia sometimes people actually feel "hot" and can take their clothes off in their confusion.

None of those account for the fact that the det. believes that the area was too highly trafficked for him to be there all that time undiscovered, but like the previous poster said it would be incredibly hard to move and position skeletonized remains to look as if they weren't moved, right?

Okay, this is a real reach... - but - any chance he could have been someone fleeing Hurricane Katrina? 6-9 mos before he was found would match up with that time period. Could he have been hitchhiking and got in with a bad lot, or traveling with a friend, relative, or neighbor and ended up in a fight?

There are quite a few people missing since Katrina who have never been found. Obviously many are presumed to have died in the storm, they just have never been recovered. But if he got out of NOLA or elsewhere on the gulf coast shortly before or after Katrina he might not have been able to get ahold of relatives to let them know?
Is there a site with photos of the Katrina missing? I've found several lists but not with photos.

So about the lack of clothes....could he have possibly been walking around in shorts or swim trunks? Would wet swim trunks degrade faster than other clothing?

I'm not sure but I wouldn't have thought that swimwear degrades any faster than other clothing. They're mainly made of synthetic materials and designed to be worn wet and to dry fast, and anyway, after a few days out in the open in all weather and in contact with a decomposing body everything would be equally damp.

They have added Jimmy Williams III as a rule out but nothing about the men mentioned here. Have you heard anything about the match, Carl?

They have added Jimmy Williams III as a rule out but nothing about the men mentioned here. Have you heard anything about the match, Carl?

No, I haven't

2319320980045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
sessions_silas.jpg

Silas Sessions Jr. went missing in 1999 in SC. Possibly could have been living as a transient. Would have been in the right age range (would have been 61 in 2005) and he's tall at 5'11 but that's within the +/- 3" (and maybe he shrunk a little with age?)

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sessions_silas.html

2319320980045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

saintcyr_philistin.jpg

Boy, this looks like Philistyn Saintcyr to me. He's at the end of the ranges, 5'5 or 5'6 for his height vs. 5'8 or 5'9 for the UID, depending on which source you go by. 66 for a guy that was between 47 and 65. The deceased was found with an earring laying on the ground near the skull in such a place that it is believed the deceased was wearing an earring in one ear. The depictions I've seen show the earring in the opposite ear - the one that is not showing in Philistyn's photograph. Even though, to me, Philistyn doesn't scream earring-wearing type, you never know. Northeast Ohio is a long way from Florida. But he had possible dementia so maybe he was confused and trying to head somewhere, and hitched a ride or something. Namus says "months" for postmortem interval, but I've seen sites that say 6-9 which is longer than the 2 months interval. So circumstantially, there's a whole lot of iffy, but the resemblance is good, no?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/saintcyr_philistin.html

[h=1]Police stumped by case of man found dead in Bazetta 11 years ago[/h]
Investigators say they’ve exhausted every clue they’ve been given and have still been unable to identify a man found dead 11 years ago.

Back in July of 2006, the mysterious man was found by chance by a family walking through the tall grass to go fishing.

Investigators believe he had been there for about eight months, and that his body was dumped. All that was left, were his bones and a gold earring.
There were no signs of his clothing or any signs of trauma.
http://wkbn.com/2017/05/25/police-stumped-by-case-of-man-found-dead-in-bazetta-11-years-ago/

The Sharon/Hermitage/Farrel PA area is a good one to look for a missing person, as well. Only about 20-30 minutes away.

I'm local to this and just noticed it today. Came here to see if there was info.

As far as "heavily trafficked", that's relative. The area wouldn't have had much traffic between December and May/June, considering it's an outdoor recreation type area, and this is NE Ohio. I wish there was a map of where he was found, I'd go grab a picture. The state park is about 5 minutes from me.

Katrina refugee is a HUGE possibility. We had many people relocate to this area from there. I would even say homeless after Katrina, if not for the fact that he wasn't wearing clothes. That's very strange and definitely lends itself to foul play.

Identified!
http://wkbn.com/2018/04/02/bazetta-police-crack-12-year-old-cold-case/
[h=1]Bazetta police crack 12-year-old cold case[/h] [h=2]Chief Michael Hovis announced that they have identified the remains of a man whose partially decomposed body was found near Mosquito Lake[/h] By WKBN Staff Published: April 2, 2018
attachment.php

Chief Michael Hovis announced today on the department’s Facebook page that they have identified the remains of a man whose partially decomposed body was found in an area of high grass at Mosquito Lake, near the dam.
All that was left was a gold earring with no sign of clothing, shoes or signs of trauma.

The case was investigated exhaustively, even calling in a psychic at one point to help. The psychic said at the time that she thought his name may begin with a “J” such as James or Jamie.

More information on the case is expected to be revealed during a press conference this afternoon.
rbbm.

Attachments

• bazetta-cold-case.jpg
    bazetta-cold-case.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 112
http://www.wfmj.com/story/37858490/...body-discovered-at-mosquito-lake-11-years-ago
According to a release form Bazetta Township Police, a news conference will be held at 1 p.m. on Monday to announce information about the discovery
Now, after nearly 12 years of investigation, police say they know who the victim is.
However, there's no word on whether they know how the man died as well.
Although, in 2006, police said even though there were no obvious signs of trauma, the death appeared suspicious, because the victim's body was discovered with no clothes.
In that report, the psychic also said she believed the victim to be from either Detroit or Canada.
rbbm.

[h=1]Mosquito Lake remains belong to Youngstown man[/h]
BAZETTA TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WKBN) – Police in Bazetta have identified a body found 12 years ago in a secluded area.

Trumbull County Coroner Humphrey Germaniuk said the man has been identified as Gregory Griffin. He was around 47 years old when he went missing and is from the Youngstown area.

The remains were found in an area of high grass at Mosquito Lake, near the dam, by a family walking through the tall grass to go fishing.
Investigators believe the body had been there for eight months. The body was discovered July 23, 2006.

All that was left was a gold earring with no sign of clothing, shoes or signs of trauma.
Germaniuk praised “good police work” for identifying the man. He said investigators tracked down all of the leads that they were given, leading to a positive DNA match.
There were no signs that a shooting or stabbing occurred, but Germaniuk believes that Griffin was murdered due to the circumstances.

“The very fact that he was put in a secluded area and the body was hidden for six to eight months pretty far off the beaten path, found by two fishermen, tells me we’re probably dealing with a homicide,” he said.

Police are continuing to investigate the case.
http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/apr/02/mosquito-lake-remains-belong-youngstown-man/?nw

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back