GUILTY OH - William Brown, 44, & Sherri Mendenhall, 63, slain, Yellow Springs, 15 Jan 2017

Having pleaded not guilty in their initial arraignments last year at the Xenia Municipal Courthouse, the brothers changed their pleas Wednesday, Sept. 12, as part of individual deals that allowed both to avoid the possibility of capital punishment.

The plea agreements came during the second week of jury selection in elder brother Dustin Merrick’s trial, for which opening arguments were expected this week.

Bret Merrick’s case was scheduled to go to trial next month.

Because the plea deals mean neither trial will take place, the public may never learn what was in the brothers’ minds when they went to the East Enon Road property in the early morning hours of Jan. 15, 2017, and left the two occupants shot to death.

With the judge noting that Bret Merrick had not shot either of the victims, the younger brother entered a guilty plea to two counts of involuntary manslaughter, with a maximum possible sentence of 25 years, including three years for firearms use. During the separate sentencing hearing early Wednesday afternoon, Buckwalter imposed the anticipated sentence of 25 years and remanded the younger brother to the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections.

In Dustin Merrick’s case, the elder brother pleaded guilty to nine counts: two for aggravated murder, two for murder, two for aggravated burglary, one for felonious assault, one for tampering with evidence and one for obstructing justice.

Buckwalter said the combined penalty for all counts was two life sentences without parole, plus an additional 31 years for other counts. Ruling that the sentences would be served concurrently, he asked Merrick if he understood he was “never getting out of prison.”

“Yes,” Merrick said.

Double-murder case comes to an end • The Yellow Springs News

Have they released a motive? It appears based on Green County auditor site the owner of the address where the arrest took place has the same name as his brother. This could just be a common name.
Dustin rented the house from David Brown (his step father)

Last edited:
Looking on Facebook it appears that Dave Brown's wife may be the mother of the boys that killed Skip and Mendenhall. I found a pic of her on the page of merricks sister and on Dave browns page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbie Brown mother of Dustin is(now was) married to David Brown brother of Skip (William R. Brown)

Oh wow. What a tough spot to be in, thank you for clarifying that. After you posted the picture I went and looked at the published court photos on the news site of WHIO from yesterday and I noticed she and David were sitting directly behind the perpetrator.

Before realizing the family relation, I thought this may have been the result of a robbery. It still could be, but with family it could go deeper. I remember the press conference said committed by "someone very angry" with the victim.

Hopefully since they have made arrests more information on motive will be released soon. I feel so bad for the family members caught in the middle of this.
Dustin admitted that he planned to execute SKIP for several months. After the sentencing the prosecuters said Dustin was a Sociopath and that he, his brother and mother are in their own little world.

Last edited:
Skip was not from a close nit family. Ok, he separated himself from his father when a young boy and it was a strained relatiohship because of the mothers presence in Skips life. I cannot even begin to tell you how horrific his life became. I must tell you this though. Skip was a Roofing Business owner and that should tell you a great deal. The roofing business can be very difficult. There were many times he would not get out of bed. He suffered from depression because he was a lost soul. He also had business dealings he did not want many to know about. Do you know what I mean..?
If you want to know more,let me know..
Skip had a rough life. He wasn't perfect but, he loved life, his friends(which I have learned were many, his family was larger than most). His father and him had become close, best friends, his step mom closer than ever, working on getting closer to his sister's, looking forward to the best year ever both, family and business.

Last edited:
Hello

You will have to pardon me when I respond to you about Sherry. I'm not a mean nor am i a jealous human being,but I don't see her beauty as you do. I see a person. I see a lady who fell for Skip, at some point in time and they then became friends and I use that term loosely. There is so much more to this. It begins with Skips childhood. I'm not going to comment much on her because i never met her and that was because Skip hid her from me. This is not easy to type. I'll not go any further until you respond back. Are you on here anymore..?
Sherri was one of Skip's best friends mother. They had know each other for about 15 years prior to their deaths. Sherri was also his accountant.

"Skip" was an avid photographer and uploaded much onto his Flickr account.

here is a link to Dustin the alleged shooter who actually did odd jobs for Skip.I believe there are some of his brother on that site too....so the brothers knew skip quite well.click link below.

Dustin in the pond

please forward on to law enforcement .

Sadly there are also pictures of the female victim in happier times.

My deepest sympathy and condolences to Skip's family.
Dustin worked for Skip for about 3 years off and on. Both Roofing jobs and miscellaneous jobs for Skips customers. He was paid $20/25 dollars an hour depending on the work(roofing jobs paid $25).

Many statements still don't add up. Bret went with his brother to get back his tools that Skip had, with a 12 gauge shotgun, and 2 semi auto pistols between them at about 3:00 am Sunday morning.
Around 3:30-4:00pm after law enforcement officers from Yellow Springs and Greene county Sheriff Deputies were on scene Jessie Skinner, David & Bobbie Brown were on East Enon Rd. A short distance from 4444 E. Enon Rd. David Brown walked down to 4444. Bobbie got out of the car she was in and walked over to Jessie Skinners car and told him Skip was killed in a bad drug deal. She latter that evening told Skips step mom and step sister the same thing. It was later late that night at 4444 E. Enon Rd. when Skips parents, sister, David (his brother) and his wife Bobbie were told that skip had been murdered. While David and his Dad went to the apartment to see if they could see if anything was missing Bobbie(David's wife * Skips sister had walked around t he back of the building were Bobbie asked what they were doing to the pool. Skips step sister said Skip and Grandma had decided to fill in the pool and Bobbie replied "no were not".
A few days later Bobbie asked Skips step sister if she would rent Skips apartment.
I Months later Sheriff detective said "she is envolved but, we have no physical evidence.

William "Skip" Brown ran an art gallery of sorts from the 4444 Enon Rd. location dedicated to the black & white photography of his grandfather, Alex Bahnsen who at one time was considered one of the best B&W photographers in the world.

Axelbahnsen.com
Skip was converting what had been the main building of his other great grandfather's greenhouse into a gallery for both his great grandfather's photographs and local artists work.

I realize I am somewhat talking to myself right now on this case but this is what has me following it.
There seems to be a series of shooting related murders taking place in homes in OH where there are no witnesses and the AG's office calls them targeted. It sounds to me with him being found in the home and her in the driveway she may have been trying to escape.

“These were two cold blooded murders and we’re going to do everything in our power to find out who did this,” he described.

http://wdtn.com/2017/01/17/ohio-ag-greene-county-native-reacts-to-yellow-springs-double-murder/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
During Skips funeral/viewing Bobbie Brown (Dustins mother) spent a lot of time on the front porch of the funeral home telling everyone that was out there with her that Skip was killed in a bad drug deal. A large number of those people, friends of Skip decided later that night that she was envolved. Knowing what I know several called the Sherrifs tip line. Which despite the relationship between Yellow Springs and the Sheriffs department recieved more calls related to this case than ever before speaks of the relationship Skip had with many of the residents of Yellow Springs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back