Ohio Student Wins Stalking Order Against Extreme Helicopter Parents

The stalker approach to parenting seems counterproductive even for parents of mentally disturbed, prostituting drug user college students imo. I don't know of anyone who got on the right track because a key stroke detector scared them straight.

Asking for a refund sounds off too, for really concerned parents imo. Wouldn't most parents be happy that even though the child has mental problems she's well enough to study? How many parents would demand a refund for their money if the child is not well? Hitting the child with a bill for a five figure sum would likely put a stop to the studies of many mentally ill drug users and it could be where they start sliding downhill fast.

Isn't every child's face pretty to its parents?

I understand that it is difficult to watch someone mentally disintegrate before one's eyes, and that it is very difficult to get someone to be court mandated to seek mental health help. However, in this particular case, the parents actions appear to me to be stemming more from a need to control than a deep concern for their daughter.

The key-stroke detector is what bothers me the most. That particular type of snooping freaks me out especially bad personally, because I sometimes like to rapidly type my thoughts out and then delete them, so key-stroke detectors scare me particularly :blushing: . It just seems so insanely intrusive.

I'm sticking with my previous thought that the parents have some unmet needs they need to address before they can move forward. I hope they choose to seek some counseling and/or mental health services for themselves if they haven't already. These parents obviously have some issues. If their daughter is manipulative and mentally ill and that's the problem, well, she's managed to maintain good grades and be successful in higher education, so she's functioning...that doesn't sound like someone on the edge of a mental breakdown (IMO). I hope the daughter also seeks any mental health services she needs, too, because anyone with a parent/child relationship as dysfunctional as this one could probably benefit.

I have some pretty strong feelings about a parent(s)'s role in paying for higher education for their offspring, and I'll admit those feelings may influence my perspective on this story.

Of course she is beautiful in her parents eyes.What I am implying is that her looks may influence what others believe about her. I agree with you that her parents tactics are extreme and may even warrant intervention. The person from my younger days I referenced in a pervious post "managed to maintain good grades and be successful in higher education" my friend received a full ride to Smith College but, she was a ticking time bomb! In that situation as well as this one, there was some serious "dysfunction". I am not saying who I believe. I think the truth is not as one sided as it appears. Just sad!

If her story about the parents' behavior is true the parents sound so extreme that I'm not at all sure that paying her own way through college would have stopped them from interfering with her life. I don't think paying for her education was the reason for the parents' behavior, it was just their excuse after they got called out for it.

Lots of parents pay for their children's education but most of them never use any stalking technology, nor do they call the college and tell them that they're going to get their child institutionalized for a mental evaluation if such concern is not warranted.

Right. I don't know if this was in response to mine, but since it was right below...That's why I said the R/O also was appropriate if they didn't stop w/o the financial "excuse." If an adult is being legit harrassed by his or her crazy parents an R/O is perfectly appropriate. The news articles about the case, though, suggested to me at least that the daughter was fine taking the parents' money, but wanted them to leave her alone, too. As an adult, you shouldn't be able to have it both ways, imo.

Right. I don't know if this was in response to mine, but since it was right below...That's why I said the R/O also was appropriate if they didn't stop w/o the financial "excuse." If an adult is being legit harrassed by his or her crazy parents an R/O is perfectly appropriate. The news articles about the case, though, suggested to me at least that the daughter was fine taking the parents' money, but wanted them to leave her alone, too. As an adult, you shouldn't be able to have it both ways, imo.

I think there is a slight difference between unwillingness to be insanely stalked and wanting one's parents to leave one alone. Maybe she just wanted her parents to act normal.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back