GUILTY OK - 4 dead, many injured when car crashed into crowd at OSU homecoming parade

NTSB: Driver in deadly OSU parade crash sped up before hitting spectators

The report said Chambers’ car accelerated from 54 mph to 59 mph in the five seconds before she struck a police motorcycle blocking the roadway along the parade route. The NTSB reports that she applied the brakes after hitting the motorcycle, though the report doesn’t say how fast she was driving when she hit the crowd. The speed limit in the area was 35 mph, according to the report.

When Chambers’ manager confronted her, Chambers “became emotionally distressed,” made reference to quitting her job and ran to her car, the report stated.

“Given that the crash occurred only about 10 minutes after the driver left her job, she was most likely still experiencing emotional distress when the crash occurred,” the NTSB report said.

I wondered what was happening in this case. :tyou: for recent updates. Not qualified to make a diagnosis, but I don't think Ms. Chambers is mentally ill and that she didn't know what she was doing when she drove her vehicle into a crowd at the parade. She seems immature, insecure, emotionally unstable, prone to angry outbursts, etc., but I doubt it rises to the level of her being found not guilty because she's mentally ill. :moo:

I wondered what was happening in this case. :tyou: for recent updates. Not qualified to make a diagnosis, but I don't think Ms. Chambers is mentally ill and that she didn't know what she was doing when she drove her vehicle into a crowd at the parade. She seems immature, insecure, emotionally unstable, prone to angry outbursts, etc., but I doubt it rises to the level of her being found not guilty because she's mentally ill. :moo:

I go back and forth but the recent news has me leaning more to not mental illness. And like you I don't think she'll be found not guilty. Even if she's got something going on (depression or anxiety maybe?) I don't think it's the reason she did this.

I go back and forth but the recent news has me leaning more to not mental illness. And like you I don't think she'll be found not guilty. Even if she's got something going on (depression or anxiety maybe?) I don't think it's the reason she did this.

I should have added "impulsive" to my list of Adacia's possible behavioral issues. She appears to be emotionally arrested at middle-school age and unable to control inappropriate, negative responses in uncomfortable circumstances. Young adults get fired from jobs all the time but don't leave their place of employment in a huff and mow down innocent bystanders. Definitely an impulsive act that shows a lack of emotional maturity but not mental illness. :moo:

IMO she definitely sounds mentally ill (for example, clinical depression and anxiety are considered mental illnesses). But that is NOT to say she was incapable of understanding that her actions were wrong or illegal, or that she should not be held criminally responsible for her actions. Mentally ill and legally insane are two different things, at least in my state.

IMO she definitely sounds mentally ill (for example, clinical depression and anxiety are considered mental illnesses). But that is NOT to say she was incapable of understanding that her actions were wrong or illegal, or that she should not be held criminally responsible for her actions. Mentally ill and legally insane are two different things, at least in my state.

Exactly. I should have said they are both mental illnesses and could be enough to declare someone unfit for trial or not guilty. I think she was being treated for depression but I'm not sure she was ill enough (in the moment or overall) to be found not guilty. It could happen though. JMO

Defense: Driver in Oklahoma State homecoming parade crash was insane
Posted 8:26 am, October 20, 2016, by AP Wire

Defense attorney Tony Coleman on Wednesday provided a Payne County judge with the evaluation from the psychologist.

Coleman has previously indicated plans to raise the question of mental illness or insanity during Chambers’ trial.

Prosecutors say they’ll have their own psychologist examine Chambers.

A motion to move the trial out of Payne County because of pretrial publicity and several other defense motions were scheduled to be considered on Dec. 6.

Oh yeah, I'm sure the victims would love to not have to show the emotions they carry thanks to her careless actions. Ridiculous. And don't want graphic pics shown? Don't do something that results in graphic pictures having to be taken. Seriously, trials shouldn't be sugar coated.

Lawsuits filed against Adacia Chambers

The lawsuits say that Leo and Sharon Schmitz were walking toward Boone Pickens Stadium on Oct. 24, 2015, when they and a crowd of pedestrians were hit by a car driven by Adacia Chambers. They suffered several injuries as a result of the crash, and Leo Schmitz had to have part of his left leg amputated.

Judge denies change of venue in OSU homecoming crash case

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/judge-denies-change-of-venue-in-adacia-chambers-osu-homecoming/article_d0e009e3-f5fc-5900-b884-ea00794b0478.html

During a hearing Tuesday, Coleman accused local law-enforcement of creating a “media frenzy” by hosting a pre-emptive news conference following Chambers’ arrest and circulating false information that she was intoxicated at the time of the crash. According to Coleman, the tight-knit nature of the community in Stillwater and the rest of the county would make it impossible to select an impartial jury.

Defense attorneys submitted five affidavits written by local community members who support a change in trial location. One affidavit featured 33 signatures of Payne County residents, three of whom were questioned Tuesday.

Prosecutors focused their arguments on how the affidavits and signatures were collected only from Stillwater residents and not those elsewhere in Payne County. They noted that no evidence was presented showing that prejudices extended to the rest of the county — insight that played a large factor in Kistler’s decision to not move the trial.

“This county is much more than OSU, much more than Stillwater,” Kistler said.

The judge also overruled a handful of other motions recently filed by Coleman, including one requesting the suppression of certain statements Chambers reportedly told police in the immediate aftermath of the crash.

Kistler ruled against the defense, adding that Chambers voluntarily made the statements to officers. Because they weren’t part of a custodial interrogation, he said, the statements could be used during trial.

Kistler also overruled motions that sought to prohibit victims’ families from showing emotion in court and the suppression of photos showing autopsies and the deceased.

The trial is to begin Jan. 10.

Adacia Chambers' OSU crash case expected to be resolved next week with no trial

http://newsok.com/article/5533299

The highly anticipated trial over the fatal Oklahoma State University homecoming parade crash will not happen next week after all.

Instead, the murder case against the driver, Adacia Avery Chambers, is expected to be resolved Tuesday, most likely by a plea agreement, The Oklahoman has learned.

The trial was to begin at 9 a.m. Tuesday with jury selection. Thursday, Payne County District Attorney Laura Austin Thomas declined to comment about a possible resolution, saying only, "I would plan to be there on Tuesday if you are interested."

Even if Chambers has a plea deal, she still could face trial eventually if the judge doesn't approve it. Chambers also could change her mind beforehand about accepting a deal.

Tiffany Alaniz ‏@TiffanyAlaniz 50m50 minutes ago
BREAKING: Victims/families of OSU Homecoming Parade crash tell me they've been told to expect plea deal for Adacia Chambers live @FOX23 News

Tiffany Alaniz ‏@TiffanyAlaniz 25m25 minutes ago
Happening now at trial for Adacia Chamber, OSU Homecoming Parade crash suspect. Plea deal expected in minutes. Updates on FOX23

Tiffany Alaniz ‏@TiffanyAlaniz 10m10 minutes ago
RIGHT NOW: Both sides are in judge's chambers Adacia also went in with them. Victims are holding their impact statements to read @FOX23 News

Tiffany Alaniz ‏@TiffanyAlaniz 36m36 minutes ago

BREAKING: Adacia Chambers agrees to plea deal 4 life sentences then 10 years for OSU Homecoming Parade crash. Live updates on FOX23 News

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/cour...cle_53404bbf-234b-5e3d-ab61-39143c63d541.html

The murder case against the woman charged in the deadly crash that occurred during the 2015 homecoming parade at Oklahoma State University came to an end Tuesday after she entered a no contest plea.

Under terms of the plea deal, Chambers would receive a life sentence for each murder count to run concurrently plus 10 years, concurrently, for each of 39 assault counts to run consecutively with the life term. Three of the assault counts had been dismissed in the plea deal...

The judge on Tuesday noted that the no contest plea cannot be used against Chambers in civil proceedings; there are at least two pending lawsuits against her.

This case really went out with a whimper, I followed it so closely from the beginning. I hope the injured victims and the deceased victims' families feel somewhat satisfied in the resolution, at a minimum relieved that they won't have to sit through a trial. Part of me wants to feel sympathy for her since it does seem that she was mentally ill, the other part of me is still angry, but mostly I just really want to know in more detail from her as to why she felt the need to take others out in such a violent manner instead of just herself, what was she thinking? It's all just so bizarre, really. Perhaps struggling to make sense of it is a futile effort because is not logical and was and will always be a senseless act.

Thank you, Newsbreaker. In the video it is mentioned that she will be eligible for parole. She just has to be 72 years old at the time.

I'm fine with that and glad that the victims agreed with the plea and didn't have to go through a protracted trial.

Chambers father recounted taking her for treatment on multiple occasions and being turned away, told there was no funding and there's nothing that could be done for her.
"I went to every place I could go," he said.
Roberson, a forensic psychologist, described Chambers as being manic during his first meeting with her after the crash.
"She was acutely psychotic," said Roberson. "She was in a manic, psychotic phase."

Unfortunately this is the way we deal with mental illness in this country. This will happen again.:mad:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back