GUILTY OK - Donald 'Joe' Neff, 61, Poteau, 14 May 2009 - #2

Thinking of you MMD, and your dad, and all who loved him ... and asking that hubby of yours to give you an extra big hug from all of us here.

So glad to know the jurors got it right !!

:hug:

Posted May 9, 2014 - 2:42pm Updated May 9, 2014 - 5:30pm
LeFlore County Man Guilty In Former Brother-In-Law’s Homicide POTEAU — A Cameron man accused of first-degree murder in the shooting of his former brother-in-law is guilty, a LeFlore County jury decided Friday.

The panel of eight women and four men deliberated three hours and 50 minutes before reaching a verdict and recommending a sentence of life in prison without parole for Raymond “Larry” Oliver Nichols, 61, and a $10,000 fine.

In closing arguments, First Assistant District Attorney Marion Fry told the jurors the state had more than 20 pieces of evidence tying Nichols to the May 14, 2009, shooting of Donald “Joe” Neff, 61, at Neff’s bar outside Poteau. Neff was shot once in the back of the head. Nichols was arrested in August 2013.

Defense attorney Doug Schmuck contended all of the evidence is circumstantial.

“We have trained agents, OSBI, with access to a multimillion-dollar lab, but in an 800-page report, there is not one scrap of evidence, no fingerprints, no blood, no DNA, linked to my client. … They found the gun, and they were done,” Schmuck argued regarding the almost 4 1/2-year investigation.

Family Impact - Like other family members, Marie Pitchford, Neff’s eldest daughter, cried after the verdict was read Friday.

“This has been a long time coming. There were times when if felt like this would never be solved. It wasn’t fast, but they were thorough. … They had everything lined up just as it should be before they prosecuted,” Pitchford said.

Formal sentencing will be July 10

July 10 can't come soon enough for Joe's loved ones. They have already waited long enough.

:grouphug:

Have thought about Mr Neff many times since this case first started. I'm glad to see his murderer was charged, and hope he gets the maximum penalty! Mr. Neff just sounded like such a kind hearted man. Many hugs to his family and loved ones.

Today is sentencing day. Have we got any news yet?

Can't find anything online.

We missed this one some how. Really curious how long he's been like this; if he was sick looking when he killed Joe and if he will be able to serve a decent length of time. Would like to see him rot in jail some before he rots in eternal hell!!

Suspect In Bar Owner's Slaying Hospitalized, Misses Court Date Posted August 27, 2013 - 5:48pm Updated August 28, 2013 - 9:54am

POTEAU — A Cameron man accused of the May 2009 death of Donald “Joe” Neff, 61, of Poteau missed his court date Tuesday because he was hospitalized.

Raymond “Larry” Nichols, 60, has been receiving treatment in a Tulsa hospital, District Attorney Jeff Smith said. Smith said he did not know specifically from what ailment Nichols suffered.

Jail Administrator Claude Jones said federal privacy laws prevent the jail from releasing specific medical information about an inmate. Nichols, who has chronic medical conditions, was taken to a local hospital about two days ago and transferred to Tulsa from there, Jones said.

Nichols returned to the LeFlore County Detention Center Tuesday afternoon, Jones said. No new conditions were found at this time, and Nichols will undergo follow-up exams, he said

We missed this one some how. Really curious how long he's been like this; if he was sick looking when he killed Joe and if he will be able to serve a decent length of time. Would like to see him rot in jail some before he rots in eternal hell!!

Suspect In Bar Owner's Slaying Hospitalized, Misses Court Date Posted August 27, 2013 - 5:48pm Updated August 28, 2013 - 9:54am

My heart breaks for Marie as she tries to heal from this. I was close to my dad; although mine passed from cancer; there was a lot of drama with 2 lawsuits. It took 7 years for the 2nd one to finish and when it did; each holiday was like going through it the 1st time. Any bits of healing my heart had done were ripped wide open again. No doubt that holidays will be painful for Marie.

Marie has been in court during his trial; yesterday she was allowed to read her victims impact statement; where she was able to tell him how they felt about him and what he took from them. It has to be especially hard since they're related.

Please say a prayer for Marie; her sister and their children as well as Larry's children, who are all innocent victims in this. Larry has never confessed. According to the article below, he still says he is innocent.

Cameron Man Gets Life Sentence For Killing Poteau Bar Owner

..Nichols, who still maintains his innocence, was convicted of killing Donald “Joe” Neff, 61, on May 14, 2009, at Neff’s bar outside Poteau. Neff was shot once in the back of the head. Nichols was arrested in August 2013

District Court Judge Jon Sullivan sentenced Nichols to life, following both the recommendation of the jury and a pre-sentence investigation report, after hearing Thursday from Neff’s daughters, Marie Pitchford and Shawna Martin.

Pitchford told Nichols she views him as pathetic and he isn’t even a shred of a man, but she has forgiven him, “not because you deserve it,” but because God handles vengeance.

Pitchford said she hopes Nichols sees her father’s face, both while waking and in his dreams, every day until he draws his last breath.

Pitchford and Martin also remembered their father as a good and generous man, who was always there for his children.

Just want to say I'm thinking of you MMD and all you've been through :blowkiss:

Rest in Peace, Joe Neff
:rose: :rose: :rose:

MMD, I just saw this, I am so happy for you and your dad to get justice. I'm just sorry that it was another family member that caused all your grief.

I hope that you can have peace. I wish I could just hug you. I'm glad there was resolution and justice.

Sneezy

That's exactly what I was thinking Rose.....now the "hard" time begins.

Hope MMD & family are doing well.....I think of her and Joe often and send them prayers.

Video with Marie. My heart breaks for her. Her dad was taken so young; she feels he had help; Larry has now taken everything to the grave.

That's exactly what I was thinking Rose.....now the "hard" time begins.

Hope MMD & family are doing well.....I think of her and Joe often and send them prayers.

Was driving yesterday when google alerts came into my email on my cell. I was afraid to look. I then saw the notification for this post being bumped; had to look. I've always felt he would not serve much time; I have so many thoughts going through my mind. Did he know he had lung cancer? If so; did he refuse treatment?

I've always felt that Joe has been beside Marie through everything. He gave her the strength to keep his case in the media. I feel there is a higher power here; that as good & kind as Joe was, that Larry is meant to serve the remainder in a different place. I pray for Marie, her sister & their children, everyone that was touched by Joe. Such a senseless murder

Just passing through and thinking of MMD and her Dad. I hope the love and beautiful memories they shared can offset the circumstances of Joe's death.

I question this statment over and over again. These overlapping facts make it appear to point to have someone who would know the facts. Randomly overlapping facts and cowinky dinks I have listed are oddly overly simple yet the overly simple list of things that should or could or might be able to be shrugged off is amazingly complex.

One example that may get delated because I am still looking for "hard facts"

A suspicuous accident which involves a waitress who used to work at the location Jody Wilson truck was found. Her name was Shawna Jones and the "accident occured on 1/1/94 while she was employed at New West club

(dont know where that is ) Years later Jodys truck is found there and parked like an employee would park. We talk about this and someone notices in the photo a red truck is parked in the parking lot of the bussiness.

Turns out other pictures of the place also have the red truck . A red truck as seen leaving the area here Neff body was found , Neff owned a bar,Jody went to Bar(maybe Neffs) And Shawna worked at a bar and where Jodys car was found.

Now see ,this isnt very interesting except although the research of Leflore ,Latimere ,and other places the random co winkys are everywhere and do point into a general direction.

I need someone who can share what they know about Shawna Jones or link her obit or news article relating to her death to move backward with that issue. I do feel there is a common link in Jodys case Neffs case and Shawna's death.
*This post is the only reference I find for Shawna Jones. I’m a bit confused if and how they relate. I’ll have to read up. My folks are all from Poteau, I spent summers there with my grandma. This feels familiar somehow and a bit strange for me. It was such a gentle old tiny town. I can’t imagine a murder. I guess you really can’t go home again.

Shawna Louise Jones’ homicide.

Jones had two daughters, who were seven and nine when they lost their mother.

Her killer has never been arrested for her murder.

On midnight, New Year’s Eve, Sirens will drop their latest podcast episode on the unsolved Shawna Jones case.

“The case of Shawna Jones that’s out of Henryetta, Oklahoma. It’s been 29 years. This is a cold case that happened on New Year’s Day, 1994. Shawna left home around 2:30 in the morning. She went to switch out her boyfriend’s work van with his personal truck back at his family’s place of business, and she also was going to take home the babysitter,” said Rollins. “She did in fact take home the babysitter. Everything was totally fine, but she vanished later. The next day, around 4:30, she was found near a friend’s pond.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back