GUILTY OK - Joshua Minton, 2, suffocated at Tulsa day care, 17 May 2007

Anybody anymore can run a daycare from home nowadays. i have considered it b/c of the lack of affordable child care and it would keep me at home with extra cash, but i am too scared to be responsible for someone elses kids. I interviewed an at home sitter for my twins when I went back to work when they were 3 months ( i quit after on though) and had a gut feeling not to use her. Her house was filthy, her child unkept and she had a rottwiler chained outside. My SIL recomended her, she used to use her, I was not impressed. i used a state certified daycare with much success for the whole 4 months until I decided to stay home.

I'm sure there are reputable home day care establishments out there, but when I was working full time, I was not comfortable with the idea of leaving my baby with one woman alone in her home. My son went to a large center based day care that was accredited by the NAEYC (National Association of Education for Young Children). My reasoning was that one person alone in their home can present themselves one way to you and do whatever they felt like in the privacy of their home. At a child care center, there are more checks and balances. It's much more difficult to abuse or neglect a child when others are watching.

This is just horrible! They should turn that lady over to the parents! She never would've made it out of the house alive, I don't care if the cops were there or not!!!

That's why I choose a center, I was too afraid to leave my son in a home based daycare, you never know what goes on during the day. My son went to Celebree learning center in MD and now we're in WV, I'm on a waiting list for an accredited daycare. There are plenty of in home daycares but I bypassed them all!

And now we just found out number 2 is on the way! I'm hoping we can work something out so I can stay home but right now it doesn't seem possible!

I was in tears the other night watching this on Nancy Grace.
The grandmother had called in and said how disgusted she was, that the daycare provider walked over to her car and told the boy's sister that she loved her. The grandmother said how could she do that after she killed her little brother.
I can not even begin to imagine the pain the parents are feeling. I have a 2 year old myself, and it literally makes me sick to think how scared he must have been. What posesses someone to think that this is the way you make a child behave?

My son's first 2 daycares were at home daycares. It took me over 100 interviews (on the phone and in home) to find one that I felt right with. Now he is at a center with cameras in every room. The difference between a licensed center and at home daycare really isn't that much. If you can scrounge up the extra $200 a month (in my case) do it. I never had problems with my at home daycares, but the peace of mind is well worth it.
His third daycare was a horrible licensed center. It was dirty and they didn't take care of my son the way they should have. The staff was underpaid and unhappy. It was licensed, but privately owned.
I yanked him out of there in January and we've been happy ever since.
This woman just gives me the heebies when I look at her. She does not look like someone I would want caring for my child. She deserves much worse than anything that could possibly come her way.

She is a monster! :behindbar

This story just heats me so bad.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I am so fortunate that DH takes care of our DS. Since he's been 6weeks old I went back to work f/t. I know it's far from the normal but we struggle daily with making ends with the money I make and some small change DH made on side... It's a small struggle and temporary just knowing DS will go to school one day soon - and then DH can get himself a p/t or something while DS is in school. DH lost his job 8months after 9/11 and shortly after that I became PG (surprise!) at 37yrs..and married 6yrs.

The Lord give gifts in His way - not what/when/how you might or would hope to expect.:)

Rosco

I never left my 3 kids at daycare or anything either. I probably needed to due to financial reasons but obviously it wasnt that bad because we survived. But this is THE main reason I just couldnt bring myself to do it.. I don't trust anyone with my kids I just don't.

I ran a home childcare for six years and was not licensed. (I had the same little kids the whole time.) The stories I heard from my afterschool kids (the older ones) about the licensed childcare homes they had been in were horrific!

Don't let a license fool you. It still boils down to who the person is who is caring for your child. Licensed or not - doesn't mean a thing, in my opinion.

I never left my daughter with a caregiver other than public school - licensed or not - and am thankful everyday that my life is such that I never had to.

I had to leave my son in day care to go back to work. I initially took him to one of the big places, that lasted one day. When I picked him up he had feces under his fingernails. He was three months old.

I then interviewed several different in-home providers. The one I chose had excellent references from people I knew. I worked close by, so I would "pop in" a lot. I also dropped off and picked up at odd times.

I treated my day care provider VERY WELL. I always paid on time, or early. I gave her extra money sometimes. I paid her for one week vacation each year, I made other arrangements for my son. I took her juice and cheerios almost every week. She loved me. She loved my son. You get what you give, you get what you pay for etc. To this day, my son loves Dorothy, and we talk about her all the time.

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=bfb79a7c-0f6e-4c39-8823-51404c29a484
A Tulsa County District Judge has entered a not guilty plea on behalf of a former daycare owner who faces a charge of first degree murder.

Vicki Chiles stands accused of murdering young Joshua Minton, whose parents had left him in her care.

It happened at her home daycare, located at 2648 E. Third Street in Tulsa, on May 17 of this year.

Police say Chiles, 43, has admitted that she tied the 2-year-old boy's hands behind his back and bound his mouth with tape.

Chiles reportedly said she checked on Joshua a short time later, and found him unconscious.

From August 2010:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/cour...cle_0806cd9a-8d83-505b-bf78-5edee8c6b5d1.html

In 2008, Tulsa County jurors meted out a sentence of life without the possibility of parole upon finding Chiles guilty of the first-degree murder of Joshua Minton.

The appellate ruling affirmed the murder conviction but ordered the punishment to be changed to life with parole possible, with the first 30 years of the sentence to be served in prison and the rest of that life term suspended...

Reports indicated the presence of vomit in Joshua's airway and that the tape prevented him from getting it out of his mouth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back