OK - Nex Benedict, 16 year old student died after being beaten in school restroom, Owasso, Feb 8 2024

IzzyBlanche

Reaction score
Apologies if someone already started a thread on this case, I didn’t see one.

The death of a nonbinary teenager from Owasso, Okla., following a physical altercation in a high school bathroom earlier this month was "not a result of trauma," police announced, citing information from the medical examiner.

I'm skeptical. If the fight and the death weren't related, it would be an awfully mind-boggling coincidence.

A 16-year-old student died at the hospital on Feb. 8, the day after the teen was allegedly...

Editor’s note: Due to conflicting reports of the teen’s gender identity, gendered terms were removed except in direct quotations from family and friends. The teen’s first name after a clarification from the student’s mother.
Benedict’s funeral was held Thursday. The Bikers Against Child Abuse motorcycle club led everyone to the teen’s final resting place, Ridge Lawn Cemetery in Collinsville.

Benedict’s mother, Sue Benedict, described her child as a straight-A student and an animal lover who loved to cook, often making up new recipes.

“She was tough but a great kid,” Sue Benedict said at the funeral service.

The teen’s friend, Alexandria Davidson, said her friend was fun to be around and lovable to everybody.

“At first, I didn’t feel anything. I couldn’t. What am I supposed to feel at that point? Knowing that someone that I could have used to know, someone I used to walk in the halls with, someone I could have been to class with is no longer a part of our lives, no longer part of the community. It’s a community that I love, and now she’s gone,” Davidson said.

Detectives said they are also interviewing witnesses as they determine if any criminal charges will be filed.

School officials and investigators have cited privacy laws and the active investigation to explain why they have refused to confirm basic details — including the grade Nex was enrolled in — to more extensive information — such as the initial police report about the bathroom altercation.

Authorities also have not disclosed how they believe Nex died or how many other students were involved in the altercation that preceded their death. Korphage would not confirm whether or not any of those students were disciplined.

Questions about what happened have rapidly spread on social media, with some federal officials and celebrities reacting to Nex's death and demanding schools do a better job of protecting LGBTQ+ children, especially in states that have tried to block schools from recognizing a student's gender identity if it does not match their sex assigned at birth.

"While at Owasso High School, Nex was attacked and assaulted in a bathroom by a group of other students," the family said in a statement issued by its attorney. "A day later, the Benedict's beautiful child lost their life."

"Police are examining evidence they collected from a search warrant served at Owasso High School during an ongoing investigation into the high-profile death of a student."

I'm skeptical. If the fight and the death weren't related, it would be an awfully mind-boggling coincidence.
Important to understand the relationship however in terms of charges.

Not forgiving students who bullied this child in any way- but if the fight with other kids was minor and Nex later took their own life or died of a drug overdose it would be difficult to charge.

Important to understand the relationship however in terms of charges.

Not forgiving students who bullied this child in any way- but if the fight with other kids was minor and Nex later took their own life or died of a drug overdose it would be difficult to charge.
If she was being bullied to the point of being jumped... how much do you want to bet there is a nice digital trail from her bullies online/social media? I'm sure that will all come out eventually.

And I'd bet dollars to donuts that the phrase "kill yourself" and/or "you don't deserve to live", etc...will be found in there plenty of times.

The death of a nonbinary teenager from Owasso, Okla., following a physical altercation in a high school bathroom earlier this month was "not a result of trauma," police announced, citing information from the medical examiner.

As a physician, I'd like to shout from the rooftops BS! Just a load of bull.

MOO

If she was being bullied to the point of being jumped... how much do you want to bet there is a nice digital trail from her bullies online/social media? I'm sure that will all come out eventually.

And I'd bet dollars to donuts that the phrase "kill yourself" and/or "you don't deserve to live", etc...will be found in there plenty of times.
And that the other kids will brag about it.

As a physician, I'd like to shout from the rooftops BS! Just a load of bull.

MOO
YEP! B! S!!!! The following is my opinion after listening to the mom's 911 call - that isn't someone who found their kid dead of a suicide. "Her eyes are rolling up, her breathing's weird, she's posturing" she sounds really surprised, and of course I can't know for sure but from the police bodycam she seems the sort of mom to be really attentive and caring (I hope I am accurate) so hopefully she had Nex under supervision after such a physically & emotionally traumatizing incident.

My thought is... the "school resource officer" didn't take it seriously because of, probably, obvious issues in this country and that state in particular, AS WELL AS Nex having admitted to throwing water on the other girls - the cop may have viewed that as a get out of jail free card for the kids who beat Nex up since that can technically be "starting" the fight. Personally I'd view the start of the fight as them grabbing poor Nex, as well as kicking their legs out from under them & kicking them down on the ground.

The hospital may also be negligent in this. Hospitals get busy and don't always fully investigate things like "just a fight at school (you know how kids can be!)" but hospitals also employ hateful people... just as schools do... because in Oklahoma you may not be able to discriminate based on hatefulness, but you can on gender.

Why do we have such a problem letting people be who they are in this world?? Very reminiscent of the Brianna Ghey case.

People should not be dying for being themselves.
For wearing what they want, dressing as they want, being addressed as they prefer. In this case? For LAUGHING WITH THEIR FRIENDS... unbelievable.

My grandfather once said something so poignant. we were discussing Freddie Mercury (an uncle had said something underhanded about how Freddie made him feel uncomfortable but 'at least' he was a good musician... as if that made up for him being gay? was the tone....) and an old man raised in the 1940s - a farmer, a firefighter, a deer hunter, an old school man's man by any account - my Grandpa said, "I'm not comfortable with some things and some people either but life is not about being comfortable. Life is just loving to learn and learning to love. Everyone has a right... to be." I love that. "A right to be". Whomever exists has a right to be here. NEX has a right to be here. This one has me extremely angry.

PS. my grandfather was usually a jokester (would have anyone in stitches) but that is one of few things he's said that remains cemented in memory word for word... a man of genius in my eyes!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back